Reidsville is a city of 14,000 people (2018) near Greensboro, North Carolina. Reidsville offers two public lakes for recreation, trails, greenways, parks, historic homes, and a farmer's market. Reidsville thrived in the 19th century growing tobacco and manufacturing cigarettes. Later, many textile mills were established in the town's but as those industries have declined, the town's economy has diversified.
Reidsville was established in the early 19th century as an outpost and stop on the stage line that ran between Salisbury, North Carolina, and Danville, Virginia, and was known as Wright's Crossroads. The community grew from a single home and inn owned by the family of Reuben Reid, a local farmer and businessman, into a thriving farming community primarily supporting tobacco production and cigarette manufacturing. Reidsville was incorporated as a town by the North Carolina State Legislature in 1873. It became a key location of the American Tobacco Company which employed many city and county residents. The American Tobacco Company was the mainstay of Reidsville economics until its sale and closure in 1994. Many textile mills were established in Reidsville as well, with Cone Mills and Burlington Industries, located in Burlington North Carolina, consolidating most of them in the mid-20th century, although most have now closed.
- Market Square, 303 S Scales St, ☏ . Downtown park and amphitheater which hosts a variety of events including a farmer's market, concerts, movies, shows, and many more.
- 1 Lake Reidsville, 630 Water Works Road, ☏ . Offers camp grounds, events shelters, duck hunting blinds, disc golf, and an amphitheater around the lake. On the lake, you can boat, fish, and ski. Different events are held throughout the year.
- 2 Chinqua Penn Plantation/Walking Trail, 2138 Wentworth St. Daily 8AM-8PM. Little natural habitat with a ~1 mile trail meandering through old growth forest and around ponds so that you can find rest for your soul, per the curator.
- Short Sugar's, 1328 South Scales Street, ☏ . M-Th 6AM-8PM, F Sa 6AM-9PM. This restaurant has hand-pulled pit barbecue. It has won national awards and has been recognized internationally. Family owned and operated since 1949.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Reidsville, 101 Express Drive, ☏ . Offers high speed internet access and has a fitness center.
- Days Inn of Reidsville, 2205 Barnes Street, ☏ , fax: . Offers high speed internet access and complimentary breakfast.
- Quality Inn, ☏ , fax: . Pet friendly, offers free breakfast and high speed internet access.
|Routes through Reidsville|
|Lynchburg ← Danville ←||N S||→ Greensboro → High Point|
|END ← Winston-Salem ←||W E||→ Henderson → Roanoke Rapids|