High Point is part of the Piedmont Triad in North Carolina. High Point is often referred to as the furniture capital of the world due not only to the large number of furniture manufactures in the area, but also because of the International Home Furnishings Markets held each Spring and Fall. Over 8 million square feet of showroom space is used to draw over 70,000 people from all over the world to each market. This nearly doubles the population of High Point resulting in an economic boom to the entire Triad Area as hotel and motel rooms sell out and many residents rent out rooms, floors, or even their entire home for all or part of the 7 to 10 days during the market period.
Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO IATA) has around 75 daily flights to most major hubs on the east coast. 12 miles to downtown. Taxis, rental cars, and Lyft/Uber are available at the airport. PART provides bus service from the airport to High Point—take Shuttle 27 to the transportation center for $2.50, and you can transfer for free to Route 3 to High Point.
When the High Point Market is happening, they provide shuttles from all three airports.
From the South. Travel north on I-85. Near Lexington, take Business 85 North. When Business 85 North and Highway 52 split, remain on Business 85. Exit at Highway 311 North (Main Street).
From the West. Take east I-40 past Winston-Salem to Highway 311 South (Exit 196).
From the North. Travel south on I-85. At Greensboro, when I-85 South and I-40 West split, take I-85 South. then, take Business 85. Exit at Highway 311 BR north (Main Street).
From the East. Take I-40 west to Greensboro. When I-85 South and I-40 West split at Greensboro, take I-85 South. Then take Business 85. Exit at Highway 311 BR north (Main Street).
- See also: rail travel in the United States
- 1 High Point station, 100 West High Avenue. Three Amtrak services stop in High Point, the Carolinian, Piedmont and Crescent.
High Point Transit provides local bus service.
During High Point Market, there are various free shuttles: two downtown shuttles to transport you between the various Market buildings and events, as well as others to get you to and from hotels, park-and-rides, and other locations in and around High Point.
- Doll & Miniature Museum, 100 West Green Drive, ☏ . Tuesday - Saturday 10am-4pm, Monday 1pm-4pm. One of the south’s largest doll & miniature museums, featuring more than 2,700 dolls, miniature displays, dollhouses and unusual artifacts from around the world. Adults $5.
- 1 High Point Museum & Historical Park, 1859 E. Lexington Ave., ☏ . Explore the history of High Point. Changing exhibits provide a look at lifestyles through the years. Tour the Blacksmith Shop, 1801 Hoggatt and 1786 Haley Houses located in the Historical Park. The Museum is open to the public Wednesday – Saturday 10am-4:30pm. The Historic Park is only open on Saturday 10am-4pm.
- Bernice Bienenstock Furniture Library, 1009 N. Main St, ☏ . Mon-Fri 9-12, 1-5. World's largest collection of books on history of furniture. Free.
- 1 Piedmont Environmental Center, 1220 Penny Rd, ☏ . M-F 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. 376 acres of hiking trails adjacent to High Point Lake, nature preserve, North Carolina Mapscape, small animal exhibits, also Greenway Trail access.
- High Point Market, ☏ . April and October; dates vary from year to year. Largest international furniture trade show in the world, operating for over 100 years. Provides airport shuttles, travel assistance, and other help with planning for attendees.
- High Point University - High Point University is a private liberal arts university with approximately 3000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is affiliated with the United Methodist Church
Furniture, all brands available through local retailers at discounted prices.
- 1 Furnitureland South, 5635 Riverdale Dr, ☏ .
- 2 Boyles, 3798 Samet Drive Suite 102, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Alan Ferguson, 1212 N Main St, ☏ .
- 1 Rainbow Family Restaurant, 1715 Westchester Drive, ☏ . M–Sa 11AM–8:30PM Su 11AM–3PM.
- 2 BBQ Joe's Country Cooking, 2822 South Main Street, ☏ . M–Sa 6AM–9PM.
- 1 J.H. Adams Inn, 1108 North Main Street, ☏ . Very nice southern style hotel, each room is different with custom traditional furniture. Free breakfast and a free glass of wine in the evenings!
- 2 Wingate by Wyndham High Point, 3901 Sedgebrook Street, ☏ . Just a few minutes from the Piedmont Triad International Airport. Suites complete with fireplaces, stocked mini bars and microwaves.
- 3 Radisson Hotel High Point, 135 S Main St. Centrally located
|Routes through High Point|
|Lynchburg ← Greensboro ←||N S||→ Salisbury → Charlotte|
|Charlotte ← Salisbury ←||W E||→ Greensboro → Raleigh|
|Durham ← Greensboro ←||N S||→ Thomasville → Charlotte|
|Danville ← Greensboro ←||N S||→ Thomasville → Lexington|
|Lexington ← Thomasville ←||W E||→ Greensboro → Durham|