Datia is a small town in Madhya Pradesh in India. 69 km from Gwalior, on the Delhi-Chennai main line, Datia is a town whose antiquity can be traced back to the Mahabharata. A town of great historic significance.
Datia is Located at new Delhi-Chennai central line which connect to other cities of India.you can reach Datia from new delhi in 5-6 hours by Taj Express. Train ticket reservation is fully computerized and can be done at railway station itself. Another convenient way of getting reservation is online reservation facility provided by the site of Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation ]. Auto Rickshaw and Tempos (Shared Auto Rickshaw) are available from the station to most parts of the city 24 hours. All the trains do not stop at Datia.Few trains going from Jhansi to Gwalior are the ones which stop.Datia is 20 minutes by train from Jhansi but frequency of rails which stop at Datia is very less.
Datia is situated on National Highway No.75 connects Gwalior and Jhansi.If you get down at Jhansi you can take an Auto to Jeevan Sarai Chauraha or eliot chauraha in Jhansi from there you can get jeeps which are a way of transport in that area these jeeps (4 wheelers) take ₹20 and will take you to Datia.You can also take frequent buses from the bus stop at Jhansi.You can also take bus from Gwalior to Datia but frequency of buses is low.
For moving in the area around Datia Palace,Pitambara Peeth, either autos or bike work. Walking is also viable if you have time.For moving to Jain Temples ,Buses,Tempos are available
- Peetambra Peeth. Peetambra Peeth" is located near the city. Peetambra Peeth is the famous "Sakti-Peeth" of the country. Sh. Golokwasi Swamiji Maharaj established "Bagla Mukhi Devi" and "Dhumawati Mai" at this place. Vankhandeshwar Temple at Peetambra-Peeth is one of "Mahabharat-Kaleen temple of Shiva."
- Datia Palace. Seven-storeyed palace built entirely of stone and brick by Raja Bir Singh Deo in 1614 considered to be one of the finest examples of Bundela architecture in the country. Within the palace are some fine wall paintings of the Bundela school.
- Gopeshwar Temple. Imposing temple.
- Sonagiri Jain temples. There are 77 beautiful Jain temples with sky high spires. Temple 57 on a hill is the main temple. This is vast in size, very beautiful, having attractive artistic spire. In this temple, the principal deity is Lord Chandraprabhu, 11 feet in height. Two other beautiful idols of Lord Sheetalnath and Parsvanath are installed. There is a column of dignity (Manstambh) near the temple, 43 feet in height, and an attractive model of Samavsharan, big in size is also here. The hill is located in Sonagiri 17km to the north west of Datia.
- Other temples. There are 26 temples in the village, most of them are very ancient. At Kund-Kund Nagar, on a 25 feet high platform, a colossus of Lord Bahubali, in standing posture, 18 feet high has been installe, below it is a hall built to practice meditation.
The best place to enjoy the pure natural environment of the hilly area and feast the eyes on the scene of beautiful temples with high spires.
There are a number of small eateries. The best would be to eat at the Govt tourist motel
- MP Government Tourist Motel, Aman Colony, ☏ .