Gwalior is a historic city situated in Madhya Pradesh.
Gwalior's history is reflected most famously in its fort, but also in the architecture of other buildings, and in addition, the city is known as a centre of Indian classical music.
Gwalior is also known for its extreme climate. In winter the mercury may dip to 1°C, and on hottest summer days it may rise to 48°C. But normally, winter temperature ranges between 6°C and 21°C, while summer temperature hovers between 24°C and 45°C. Rainy season starts in the third week of June with Monsoon rains washing central India. The rains gradually become weak during September and the wet season ends in the last week of September.
The best season to visit Gwalior is pre-winter and spring, with the best months being September to November and February to March. It is very hot from April to August, when sightseeing is inadvisable.
Gwalior Airport, (IATA: GWL) is one of four airports in the region. It is also the site of an Indian Air Force Base.
Gwalior airport has some scheduled domestic services however they are not available daily.
- Air India Regional, provide services to Delhi and Jabalpur.
Gwalior is very well connected to major cities across India by direct train links. You can reach Gwalior from India's capital New Delhi, in 3 hours by New Delhi-Bhopal Shatabdi Express(India's fastest train). This city is directly connected to Jammu, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Dehradun, Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Thiruvananthapuram, Kanyakumari, Vishakhapattnam, Patna, Kolkata, etc.Gwalior railway station is a major Railway station and comes under the jurisdiction of Jhansi Rail Division. Train ticket reservation is fully computerized and can be done at railway station itself. Another convenient way of getting reservation is online reservation facility provided by the site of Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation ]. Auto Rickshaw and Tempos (Shared Auto Rickshaw) are available from the station to most parts of the city 24 hours. There is a pre-paid booth at railway station for hiring Auto-Rickshaw. It is advised to negotiate fare before hiring one. Taxis are also available at railway station.
Gwalior is situated on the North-South corridor of National Express Highway. National highway No.3(Agra-Mumbai road) connects Gwalior To Delhi, Agra, Indore and Mumbai. National Highway No.75 connects Gwalior to Jhansi.
For moving in the area around Gwalior Fort, either autos or bike rickshaws work. Walking is also viable if you have time.
The cheapest way to move inside the city, but you may need to share it with other passengers.
Costlier than tempos but convenient for going to internal parts of city. Remember, auto rickshaws in Gwalior do not have fare meters. So, never forget to negotiate fare before hiring one.
Buses are available to visit near by places as well as for travel to different cities. These buses are available from the Bus Stand near the Railway Station. M.P., Rajastahan, U.P, State Roadways Corporation have a number of bus services connecting to cities and towns around Gwalior. Some private operators also have luxury bus services on selected routes mostly starts from various parts of the city.
- Chhatris of Scindia Dynasty.
- Ghaus's Tomb. The tomb of Great Gaus Mohammad. Located nearby is the tomb of Tansen.
- Gopachal. The largest statue of Lord Parshvanath (seated on a lotus carved out of one stone) in the world)
- Gragaj ke Hanumaan.
- Gurudwara Data Bandi Chod.
- Gwallior Fort.
- Gwalior Trade Fair. The biggest fair of Madhya Pradesh and a very colourful one. It begins in the second week of January and continues until February.
- The Gwalior Museum.
- Gwalior Zoo. This is one of many of the beautiful zoological parks of Madhya Pradesh. This park includes a white tiger, golden pheasants, sambhar, bison, and many other animals.
- Italian Garden.
- 1 Jai Vilas Palace. A former residential palace turned museum of Scindias. Contains the world's largest chandelier as well as many diverse collections of antiques and gadgets.
- Kheda Pati.
- Mandre Ki Mata.
- 2 Moti Mahal.
- Phool Bagh and Ambedkar Park.
- Sai Baba Temple.
- Samadhi of Rani Laxmi Bai.
- Sun Temple (Surya Mandir).
- Tansen's Samadhi.
- Tighra Dam. A great place for an outing, boating and other water facilities are available.
- Vaisno Devi Temple.
There also many smaller temples located in Gwalior to visit.
Garhi Padavali (About 40 km from Gwalior). A very ornate 10th-century Hindu temple, probably dedicated to Shiva, of which only the Mukhamandapa remains, with exquisite sculpture from ceiling to floor. The Jath Ranas of Gohad later built a fort surrounding the temple in the 19th century.
Go To Sun City If you are Visiting in Winters You Can go to the famous annual Trade Fair and Do shopping You can also enjoy beautiful indian classical music both(vocal and instrumental) at 'Tansen Music Festival' during winters--aditya nigudkar
- Handicrafts and stone art are local specialities.
- DD Mall at MLB Road is very big and has local branches of McDonalds and Domino's, in case you were looking for that; a Multiplex; and shops selling brand-name merchandise.
Gwaliorites like to have a good breakfast in the morning with kachories' , samosas' served with potato curries and chutneys and then there are sweets as jalebies and rabdi. Also try out gazak, made up of jaggery and Til and available during winter time.
Not to be missed: Samosa at SS Kachoriwala and Ladoos at Bahdura Sweets at NayaBazaar.and Santa Claus Kids school at Chhatri bazzar Ratnakar Bhawan.
- Cafe Coffee Day. Inside Ushar Kiran Palace
- 1 Chotiwala Restaurant, Racecourse Road, LNUPE Campus, Kampoo.
- 2 Double Hatth Ras, Gandhi Rd, Thatipur. Multi-cuisine restaurant.
- 5 Lazeez Restaurant, Sanatan Dharm Mandir Road, Lashkar.
- 6 Raj Bhog, Dindayal Mall Maharani Laxmibai Marg.
- 7 Volga, Jayendraganj, Shinde Ki Chhawani, ☎ .
- 1 D'N'D, Dindayal City Mall - 2nd floor - M.L.B. Road. DND is the only discotheque bar ongoing in Gwalior city .
- 1 The Central Park, Madhav Rao Scindia Marg, City Center (city center), ☎ . 3 star deluxe hotel 75€ par night.
- 2 Hotel Shelter, Padav Circle, Laxman Pura, Lashkar, ☎ .
- 3 Hotel Sudarshan, Jinsi Road 1, Chhaparewala Pul (Lashkar), ☎ . 1100.
- 4 Hotel Surbhi, Naya Bazar, Lashkar, ☎ . Check-in: 12:00 PM, check-out: 12:00 PM. Located in the in Naya Bazar, about 5 km from the railway station. 25 rooms divided into Deluxe, AC and Executive, In-room amenities include: cable television, telephone, and an attached bathroom with modern fittings and hot/cold water. Room and laundry service is also available. 13 / 23€ par night.
- Agra (128 Km) - Famous for Taj Mahal, Red Fort.
- Bhind (64.0 km) - Famous for Chambal river and its bandits, chhatri of Malhar Rao Holkar.
- Datia (75 km) - Famous for temples .
- Jhansi , around 100 km from Gwalior - famous for Rani Jhansi Fort.
- Orchha , around 120 km from Gwalior.
- Shivpuri (119.5 km) - Ancient town and a sacred place.
- Sonagir (60 km on the Jhansi road) - famous for Jain temples.