Deià [dead link] is a pretty village in Serra de Tramuntana, on the west coast of the Mediterranean island of Mallorca. The village is known for its literary and musical residents that lived here in the past as well as today. Deia has an idyllic landscape with orange and olive groves on steep cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean.
All major airlines fly into Palma. Deia is approximately one hour by car from palma airport via roads PM-111 and C-710.
Deià is a small village which can be visited on foot easily.
- Archaeological Museum and Research Centre, Es Clot, Deià, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Sun-Tue-Thu 5pm-7pm. The museum is found in a converted mill, one of the oldest buildings in Deià. The exhibitions contain examples of finds from important local sites on the island such as the Son Mullet Caves. Here are remains of the extincted mountain goat myotragus
- House of Robert Graves, Carretera Deià a Sóller s/n. 07079 Deià (500 meters North of the centre), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-3pm, Sun closed. Robert Graves was a famous English poet and writer (I Claudius) who built this house in 1932. He died at the age of 90 years and the house is still furnished as it was in 1985. There is a lovely garden and an auditorium with a time-lined presentation of his life. €7.
- San Juan Bautista church and its cemetery on top of the village
- Walk down to the sea and visit the beautiful cove. It has a rocky beach but it's a great place for a swim. There is a simple bar and a restaurant. The cove can be reached by car. You have to pay for parking.
- Try a part of hiking trail GR221 from Deià to Sóller (2h 45m) which runs through some of the loveliest scenery in the Serra de Tramuntana.
- Ceramics Joanna, Calle Es Porxo 1, ☏ . Opening hours vary depending on the time of year. Joanne, an American by birth, has lived and worked for decades in Deià. She is a full time ceramic artist. Her pieces are displayed in various top hotels around the island.
- Es Racó d'es Teix, carrer vieňa veija 6, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This one Michelin star rated restaurant has excellent food and a great view. You can book for a master cooking class. Menu €35.
- Trattoria Italiana, carrer vieňa veija 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Good fair priced Italian food on a big terrace with a beautiful view on surrounded mountains specially during sunset
- The Village Cafe, Calle Felipe Bauza 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Good international food (American, Greek, Italian, Spanish) for very acceptable prices
- Cafe Sa Fonda, Carrer Archiduque Louis Salvador, ☏ . The place to be for a drink and live music.
- Sa Font Fresca, Carrer Archiduque Louis Salvador, ☏ . A classic and cosy family café with a pleasant panoramic terrace
- Sa Cacera, Calle Arxiduc Lluis Salvador 13b, ☏ . A typical Spanish bar at the entrance of the village on the main road
- La Residencia, Son Canals s/n, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The finest hotel in Deia has to be La Residencia, a hotel belonging to the Orient Express group. It is built into the mountain slope on terraced steppes and includes an award winnig spa, two outdoor pools and one indoor pool. As you can imagine, none of this comes cheap but it really is top notch for quality.
- [dead link] D'Es Puig, Carrer d'es Puig, 4, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Old hotel in de village of Deia with a swimming pool
- Pension Miramar, Calle de Can Oliver (From the main road about 200 meters up), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A stylish hotel with a beautiful view. Not all rooms are equipped with a bathroom. Good breakfast and a friendly staff. There is a small private car park. Prices range from €37,5–€60 per person.