Originally a planned residential community called "Deltona Lakes," the city has since grown to become larger than many of its Volusia County neighbors, and is in fact the county's largest city by population. Many people who work in Orlando or Daytona Beach live in Deltona.
The city continued to grow during the 2010s, and during this decade a movie theater, a satellite Bethune-Cookman University campus, and a Halifax Health emergency department facility were opened in Deltona.
Deltona has a semi-tropical climate, with precipitation highest during the summer, as is common for cities in Central Florida.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
- 1 DeBary SunRail Station (SunRail), Charles Richard Beall Blvd and Ft Florida Rd, Deltona Fl. Northernmost SunRail Station and nearest to DeLand and Deltona. Nearest connection to the Amtrak Silver Meteor and Silver Star is in DeLand (16 mi (26 km) north) and to the Amtrak Auto Train in Sanford (6 mi (9.7 km) south). Same station/cross platform transfers with Amtrak are only in Winter Park, Orlando Health and Kissimmee.
- Center at Deltona, 1640 Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd, ☏ . Events center in Deltona.
- 1 Dewey O. Boster Park, 1190 Saxon Blvd, ☏ .
- Travelodge by Wyndham Deltona, 481 Deltona Blvd, ☏ .
- DeLand — the location of Stetson University