The municipality of Dendermonde consists of 8 villages or towns including Dendermonde proper. The other 7 parts of the municipality are Appels, Baasrode, Grembergen, Mespelare, Oudegem, Schoonaarde and Sint-Gillis-bij-Dendermonde.
- 1 Tourist Office, Grote Markt, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. October 1-March 31 on weekdays: 10:00—12:00 and 13:30—16:30, April 1-September 30 on weekdays: 10:00—12:00 and 13:30—18:00, July & August: daily 10:00—18:00.
The 1 Dendermonde Railway Station is located quite centrally in the town. Dendermonde is an important node in Flanders' railroad network.
- Direct connections from Brussels and Ghent. Dendermonde is 35 to 55 minutes away from both Brussels and 25 to 36 minutes from Ghent, depending on the type of train you take. So make sure to take the quicker train, unless you like to spend time in trains.
- Dendermonde is a train ride of 20 minutes away from Mechelen.
- There are also direct connections from nearby Lokeren.
The Flemish national bus company, De Lijn, has lines to Dendermonde from Ghent, Berlare, Aalst and other neighbouring towns. For more information regarding different timetables (unfortunately only available in Dutch): https://www.delijn.be.
The main road is N47 (Lokeren-Asse). Next to the Kasteelstraat is a parking plot, just as the larger Parking De Bruynkaai at the banks of the Scheldt river.
Since the historical city center is rather small it is very possible to cover all distances on foot. However, if you would be interested going outside the town center a rent bicycle is recommended. It is possible to rent a bike for free for the first 24 hours with the Blue Bike service. This service point is located right next to the train station. One side note: before renting a bike one must first obtain a Blue Bike card which costs €10. There are several Blue Bike centers across Belgium so if you are planning to visit several towns this may be a very good investment.
- Market Square (Grote Markt). As the main square of the city this square functioned as the main meeting and social point of the city for several ages. The city hall and the city museum are located right on this square.
- 3 Abbey of St Peter and St Paul, Vlasmarkt 23. Benedictine monks still live and work in this abbey located in the heart of Dendermonde.
- 4 Church of Our Lady. M closed, except on public holidays. Dating from the 14th and 15th centuries.
- 5 Courthouse, Justitieplein. Built between 1923 and 1927.
- Ros Beiaardommegang. Every ten years there is a big procession where Ros Beiaard, a huge wooden horse, is carried around the streets of Dendermonde. The last celebration was in 2010.
- M'Eire Morough: 27–28 July 2018. M'Eire Morough is a yearly folk event in Dendermonde. Usually it spreads out over 2 days. The first day the focus is on folk music in Dutch language, the other day on Celtic music and activities such as a highland games demonstration. (date needs updating)
- 1 Da Vinci, Koning Albertstraat 29, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Well appreciated restaurant in the suburb of Sint-Gillis with a mainly French cuisine. €26 - €59.
- 2 Den Abazjoer, Grote Markt 14, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Closed Tu and W. Tasty dishes with fresh ingredients and quick service. Menu of the day €15,50.
- 3 Gasthof Het Vaderland, Grote Markt 16, ☎ . Another restaurant worth noting.
- 4 Zorba, Franz Courtensstraat 16, ☎ . Closed M, Tu. Greek restaurant.
- 5 't Truffeltje, Bogaerdstraat 18, ☎ . Upscale restaurant and the only restaurant with a Michelin star in the city. Menu €60-€80.
Best beer in Dendermonde is Vicaris (www.vicaris.be)
- 1 B&B Domus Portus, Dijkstraat 2, ☎ . One of the most centrally located bed & breakfasts in Dendermonde. The rooms overlook the water. €95.