Jump to navigation Jump to search
East Flanders is one of the five provinces of Flanders (Belgium). Its capital is Ghent. Four major rivers - Scheldt (Schelde), Leie, Dender and Durme - run through the province area and lend their name, fame and strength to the region.
- 1 Ghent — capital of the province with an impressive amount of medieval heritage and a numerous student population.
- 2 Aalst — famous for its carnival.
- 3 Berlare — the Nieuwdonk and Donkmeer lakes attract many people for recreational walks during the summer.
- 4 Beveren
- 5 Deinze — mostly famous for its picturesque banks of the Lys river and the Ooidonk castle.
- 6 Dendermonde
- 7 Geraardsbergen
- 8 Lochristi — centre of the regional horticulture.
- 9 Lokeren
- 10 Oudenaarde — small town in the south of the province. Its location in the Flemish Ardennes makes it a great place for cycling.
- 11 Sint-Niklaas
- 12 Sint-Martens-Latem — a former heaven for artists, it has a few museums of regional painters.
- 13 Waasmunster
- 14 Zottegem - gateway to the hills of the Flemish Ardennes. Close ties with Lamoral, Count of Egmont: Egmont's castle, Egmont's museum, Egmont's crypt and two statues. Leeuwergem and Breivelde castles. Archaelogical Museum 'Archeocentrum Velzeke'. Cobble-stoned Paddestraat well-known from the Tour of Flanders.
- Donkmeer. A large lake in Berlare.
- Cycling. This is the region where the famous Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders) takes place. Most often the more hilly areas in the southern part of the province are used. Ride the same hills and cobbled sections as the pros. Other pro races that happen in this region: Gent-Wevelgem, Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, Omloop Het Niewsblad, Dwars door Vlaanderen, E3 Harelbeke.
- : 14–16 February 2021 Aalst. Carnival celebrations in the city of Aalst. A three-day carnivalesque popular festival. In 2010, UNESCO recognised Aalst Carnival as a cultural world heritage. Traditionally, on Sunday and Monday before Ash Wednesday the original carnival procession parades through the streets of Aalst.
- Ronde Van Vlaanderen: 8 April 2018 Oudenaarde. The most important cycling race in Flanders of the year. The Tour has its finish in the East Flemish town of Oudenaarde. (date needs updating)
- Lokerse Feesten: 31 July – 9 August 2020 Lokeren. A music festival in Lokeren
- Mattentaarten, a local speciality from the town of Geraardsbergen.