Sint-Martens-Latem is a village just southwest of the regional capital Ghent in East Flanders, Belgium.
The village of Sint-Martens-Latem and the village of Deurle form the municipality of Sint-Martens-Latem, which is one of the richest municipalities of the country and is characterised by leafy residential districts. The most interesting part for tourists however are the art museums of painters that lived and worked in the picturesque Leie river valley southwest of Ghent.
There is no tourist office in Sint-Martens-Latem. The closest one focusing on the Leie river region is in neighboring Deinze.
The town has no railway station but is easily accessible from Ghent by bus or on a bicycle.
The Flemish national bus company, De Lijn, has lines to Sint-Martens-Latem from Ghent and Deinze. For more information regarding different timetables (only available in Dutch): https://www.delijn.be.
- 1 Museum Dhondt-Dhaenens, Museumlaan 14, Deurle, ☏ +32 9 330 17 30, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 11:00—17:00.
- 2 Museum Gevaert-Minne, Edgar Gevaertdreef, ☏ +32 9 220 71 83, email@example.com. W-Su 14:00—17:00; October until 31 March until 18:00. Located in the house of Belgian painter Edgar Gevaert. After a renovation in 2012 the museum now also houses the works of many other painters of Sint-Martens-Latem and Deurle. The museum is closed in the second half of July and during December and January. Free.
- 3 Church of Saint Martin (Sint-Martinuskerk), Dorp 1.
- 4 Tempelhof, Dorp 4.
- 5 Historic village center of Deurle, Dorpsstraat. Deurle also used to be a popular place among painters and writers to settle down. The historic village center largely remained intact and boasts several small white-painted houses, a pretty church surrounded by a little graveyard. This all in the green setting that can be found all over the municipality.
- 1 't Lekkerbekske, Xavier de Cocklaan 7, Deurle, ☏ +32 9 281 05 51. 11:00-13:30 and 17:00-22:00. Closed Sa for the whole day and Su for lunch. For Belgian fries and the typical snacks eaten with them.
- 2 Sapporo, Kortrijksesteenweg 95, ☏ +32 9 388 82 88. M closed. Popular Japanese restaurant with a wide offer of Japanese dishes, including all-you-can-eat sushi offers.
- 3 Auberge Au Pêcheur, Pontstraat 41, Deurle, ☏ +32 9 282 31 44. Classy and up-class restaurant on the Leie river bank. There are also some rooms available.
- 1 De Zonnedans, Pontstraat 2. Daily 16:00 — late hours. A popular place for an afternoon drink or a night out.