Deinze is a town in East Flanders, Belgium. A small-sized town by Belgian standards, with a population of around 30,000 people. Deinze is located between the larger cities of Ghent (Gent) and Kortrijk. The town has a rich cultural and industrial history though not much of the industrial heritage has been kept. Nevertheless, thanks to its beautiful surroundings and cultural sights it makes an interesting visit. Besides the town, the commune includes the villages of Astene, Bachte-Maria-Leerne, Gottem, Grammene, Meigem, Petegem-aan-de-Leie, Sint-Martens-Leerne, Vinkt, Wontergem and Zeveren.
- 1 Tourist Office, Brielstraat 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. September 16-June 15: M-F 10:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00, June 16-September 15: daily 09:00-12:00 and 13:00-16:00.
Travel by train from Ghent, it takes about 13 minutes. From Kortrijk, the journey takes 21 minutes. In the other direction it is 20 minutes away from Kortrijk. The 1 Train Station is located quite near to the centre.
The Flemish national bus company, De Lijn, has lines to Deinze from Ghent, Oudenaarde and other neighboring towns. For more information regarding different timetables (only available in Dutch): https://www.delijn.be.
Deinze is next to the E17 highway between Ghent and Kortrijk. It has its own exit. Close to the town hall on the corner of the Brielstraat and Mouterijdreef streets is a large free parking.
If you would like to stay in the town the best option is to go on foot. The town is not very big so distances are quite short.
A bicycle is recommended for seeing the countryside and cultural sights located outside of the town. It is possible to rent a bike for free for the first 24 hours with the Blue Bike service. This service point is next to the train station.
- 1 Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk (Church of Our Lady), Markt. A picturesque 14th-century church built in the Flemish architectural style known as Schelde Gothic. The interior of the church mostly dates from the 18th century. Free admission.
- 2 City Hall, Markt 21. The city hall features an interesting historical facade. Unfortunately most of the original historical city hall has been demolished and replaced by more modern buildings and offices. Free admission.
- 3 Museum van Deinze en de Leiestreek (Museum of Deinze and the Leie River), L. Matthyslaan 3-5, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 14:00-17:30, Sa Su 10:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00. The museum's extensive and impressive collection is housed in a simple white building close to the Leie river. Almost all painters of the Leie river region are represented in this museum, such as Claus, Minne, Van den Abeele, Servaes, Permeke, Van den Berghe, Van de Woestijne, De Smet and Raveel. Besides the art collection there is also a historical department offering the visitor information on the historical, industrial and folkloric heritage of the town. €5.
- 4 Brielmeersen (entry from L. Matthyslaan or Stadionlaan). Daily, March-October: 08:00-22:00, November-February: 08:00-18:00. This 30-hectare park with ponds and forests is a big hit among locals in weekends and summer days. Young children love the farm animals that are kept in this park. The Brielmeersen park is also the home of a large population of storks. For the youngest children there is a big playground in the center of the park. Thanks to a jogging track it is also a peaceful and natural environment for recreational joggers. Free.
- 5 Ooidonk Castle, Ooidonkdreef 9 (entry from L. Matthyslaan or Stadionlaan). Castle from April 1 until September 15 on Sundays and holidays from 14:00 till 17:30. The gardens are open for visits on Tuesdays from 13:00 until 18:00, closed on Mondays, and open all other days from 9:30 until 18:00. The Ooidonk Castle is one of the touristic hits of the commune of Deinze and is located close to the village of Bachte-Maria-Leerne. The origins of this moated medieval castle date back till the 12th century. The original complex completely burned down in 1579 but it was rebuilt in renaissance style by Maarten della Faille in 1592. Thanks to conservation works that took place since 1864 the interior of the castle is surprisingly well maintained in its original state. €9 for the castle, €2 for the gardens.
- 6 Astene Sas (Sluice of Astene), Leieoever. This sluice was constructed in 1876, 16 years after a large bent in the Leie river was cut off. This sluice had to prevent the lower areas from floods. Nowadays this iron constructions is one of the prettiest of the village of Astene. The bridge that runs over this sluice connects the residential village with the natural meadows and forests on the other side of the river.
- 7 Graanstokerij Filliers (Filliers jenever distillery), Leernsesteenweg 3, ☏ . The Filliers jenever distillery started in 1880 and is nowadays one of the most famous Belgian jenever brands. The liquor is sold all over the country and even beyond the country's borders. Group visits and workshops are possible.
- 8 Sint-Canarus Brewery, Polderweg 2B, ☏ . Sundays 11:00-21:00. In the tiny village of Gottem lies the small home brewery of Sint-Canarus. 4 kinds of beer are made here. It is possible to visit this small brewery on Sundays.
- 1 Plunge in Vosselare Put, Kleine Pontstraat 5, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. in summer (May 15 until September 15) every day from 11:00 until 21:00, swimming is usually allowed until 18:30. This place is very popular among locals on warm summer days. This is one of the very rare locations in Belgium where it is allowed to swim in a natural body of water. This water used to be the Leie (Lys) river before it was cut off in the 19th century. Now it is a very curly, long lake. The water quality is very good and the experience more than unique. €2.50.
- Walking & cycling (Open areas east & north of the town center). The green area just east of the town center offers an exquisite location for a leisurely activity in open air. In this area there are many tracks specifically designed for cyclists and walkers. Also the areas in the direction of the village of Meigem (on the other side of the channel) are very attractive for cycling and walking.
- Park Concerts (Parkies) (Kaandelpark). W evenings, Jul-Aug. Music and atmosphere, by a range of excellent and mostly Flemish or Dutch artists. Free.
- 1 Market, Markt. There is a weekly market on the Markt square on Wednesdays from 08:00 until 12:00. There are approximately 110 market stalls for food and non-food articles. It can get pretty crowded when the weather is pleasant.
- De Wassende Maan, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A biological farm in Astene where you can buy their own and other biological products.
- 1 Donza, Oude Brugsepoort 44, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 08:00-17:30.
- 2 Brasserie BrunO, Kalkhofstraat 4, ☏ . Daily, September 15-March 31: 11:30-20:30, April 1-September 14: 11:30-21:30. Closed on Wednesdays.
- 1 Het Oud Sashuis, Hellestraat 18, ☏ . This cosy little café most likely has the best location of all cafés in Deinze. It's next to the historical sluice of Astene in the Leie (Lys) river. In summer the café offers a pleasant outside seating area overlooking the river and sluice.
- 1 d'Hulhaege, Karel Picquélaan 140, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. €50 in double room, €80 in single room.
- 2 B&B Anno 1756, Ketelstraat 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. In the village of Vinkt lies this small bed & breakfast in a renovated farmhouse. The surroundings are very peaceful which makes it a perfect location to relax in the evenings. €37.50-€63.00.
Many bars have free WiFi and are likely to give the password when you buy something. The public library (Gentpoorstraat 1) also offers free WiFi.
- The picturesque village of Machelen in the commune of Zulte is 5 km away
- The green residential area of Sint-Martens-Latem with the village of Deurle. Many painters were drawn by the regionals natural beauty in the past. It is about 7 km away, along the beautiful Leie River area.
- Ghent, historical city and provincial capital, is only 13 minutes by train from Deinze
- Kortrijk, a charming and historically important provincial city in West Flanders is 20 minutes away by train
- The seaside resort of De Panne is around one hour away