Jump to navigation Jump to search
Didymoteicho is a city in western Thrace with about 8,500 inhabitants.
1 Bus station
2 Railway station
- 1 Bayezid Mosque (Çelebi Sultan Mehmed Mosque), Town square. One of the oldest mosques in Europe.
- 2 Byzantine Castle.
Some of the landmarks of the citadel are reported below:
- 7 Oruch Pasha Baths (Pirostia) (Near the Town Hall). The Ottoman bath dates from 1398-1399 and is one of the earliest Ottoman baths in Greece. Unfortunately it is in poor condition. As is often the case in Greece, the buildings from the Ottoman period are neglected and deteriorate.
- 8 Temple of Holy Mary the Liberator (Ieros Naos Panagias Eleftherotrias). with an Ecclesiastical Museum.
- 9 Plotinoupoli (Aghia Petra Hill).
- 10 Mausoleum of Oruch Pasha. Ruin in bad condition, despite its great historical importance.
- 11 Byzantine Museum. The sole Byzantine museum in Western Thrace. It was inaugurated in September 2010.
- 12 Folk Museum.
- 13 Military Museum. Open Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 09:00 to 14:00, Wednesday 18:00 to 20:00 and Sunday 11:00 to 14:00..
- 14 Nalmpantis Municipal Gallery, 3, Patriarchou Dionysiou Street, ☏ +30 2553 023658.
- 15 Dadia-Lefkimi-Soufli Forest National Park. Well worth seeing park with many birds of prey and a visitor center and accommodation.
- 1 Mprousko, Γερμανού 12. Τσιπουράδικο- μεζεδοπωλείο
- 2 Time Out, Venizelou 12. Restaurant/ fast food
- Bake My Day, 28ης Μαίου 10. Bakery, pizzeria, creperia, coffee.
- 3 Thrakiotissa, 7, Ipsilantou Str, ☏ +30 255 302 2285, +30 6945081574 (mobile). 07:00 - 18:00. Homemade food in great variety and handmade pasta.
- Vienni, ☏ +30 255 302 2727, +30 697 757 0010 (mobile). Food cooked on a traditional charcoal grill.
- Motivo Art Cafe, Vasileos Georgiou 14, ☏ +30 2553 022531.
- Mirror Cafe, Vasileos Georgiou 22.
- Hotel Plotini, Vasileos Georgiou St, ☏ +30 2553 023400. A big concrete structure with an outdoor pool and free breakfast and wifi. Cozy in winter with the snow all around. $54.
- Ermis Hotel, Xatziantoniou Georgiou 4, ☏ +30 25530, +30 25530 20250-4.
- Cave Vouvas: On the southern hills of the city extends the forest Tsingla, which is used as a recreational area for excursions and celebrations by the locals. In Koufovouno there is a stalactite cave called "Vouvas", which was discovered and explored by speleologists in 1962. You can visit stalagmites and stalactites in the 30 meter high cave.
- Castle Phytio:The castle of Pythio, one of the most important and best preserved examples of military architecture in Greece, was also called Empythion in Byzantine times and was famous for its impregnable walls. It is located on a low hill on the northeastern edge of the village of Pythio, near the river Evros, very close to the Turkish border. Built between 1330 and 1340 it was of little use to the Byzantines. It was one of the first fortresses conquered by Turks on their invasion of Europe. Later, a village was built around the castle.
- Evros Delta: important wetland for migrating birds
- Rhodope Mountains
|Routes through Didymoteicho|
|Stara Zagora ← Haskovo (Junction (W / E) ← Ormenio/Novo Selo ←||N S||→ Alexandroupolis → Ends at|