Alexandroupolis is a small town with a harbour and an airport. Though some guides describe it as "dusty", it has a rocky beach and a typical Greek nightlife. It is the last major Greek town before the Turkish border on the highway to Istanbul.
1 Alexandroupolis International Airport "Dimokritos" (AXD IATA, ICAO: LGAL) - There are four flight every day linking the city to Athens by Olympic Airlines, and Aegean Air. There are three flights every week from Alexandroupolis to Heraklion or Sitia (Crete) by Sky Express.
There are several trains from Thessaloniki. Slow trains take 6h (9€), fast ICs take only 4 1/2h (16€).
Train connections are relatively frequent to the rest of the country, though the rail link to Bulgaria via Dikea has been canceled until further notice. Trains are running only to Dikea, 15km short of the Bulgarian border. There are no buses from Dikea to the border city of Svilengrad, with taxi and hitchhiking being the only options to access Svilengrad and the extensive Bulgarian rail network for the time being.
National Network of Buses or KTEL operates a frequent schedule of buses to all the major cities of the country. Shutle buses depart twice daily to Athens (approximately 8–9 hours) and there are hourly connections to Thessaloniki.
OSE, the national train operator, has set a daily bus shuttle to Istanbul that departs the main station early (around 7AM) every morning. Tickets are usually easy to find and can be booked in the ticket office.
- 1 Alexandroupolis Cathedral (Church of Saint Nicholas), Metropoleos Square. Inaugurated in 1901 and dedicated to the patron of sailors. Beside the church a museum displays sacred artifacts dating back to the 16th century
- Birdwatching. You can go birdwatching for sotos, a rare speciment of a bird that has resided for years in Balkans.
- 1 Macdonald, 382, Dimokratias Av.
There are no cheap youth hostels, but a lot of 1-star hotels and a couple of upscale hotels by the seaside. Backpackers often just stay at the beach near the train station. There is also a 1 municipal campsite located right on the beach.
- 2 Mazestic Hotel, Eleftherias Square, ☎ .
- 3 Mitropolis Hotel, 11, Athanasiou Diakou Str, ☎ . 1-star hotel. 22 rooms.
- 4 Lido Hotel, 15, Konstantinou Paleologou Str (beside bus station), ☎ , . 1-star hotel. 43 rooms
- 5 Erika Hotel, 110, Dimitriou Karaoli Str, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 1-star hotel. 23 rooms with balcony. Buffet room, dry cleaners, car hire, Free Wi-Fi.
- 6 Marianna Hotel, 11, Malgaron Str & Dimokratias Av., ☎ , (Mobile), e-mail: email@example.com. 2-star hotel. 14 rooms.
- 7 Dias Hotel, 13, Troados Str, ☎ . 2-star hotel. 16 A/C rooms
- 8 Plaza Hotel, 2nd km of Alexandroupoli - Komotini National Road right on the municipal plage, ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 2-star hotel. Built in 1984, renovated in 1996. 25 sea view-rooms. A/C, sound proof, bath or shower, mini-bar, hairdryer, Internet access, telephone, TV.
- 9 Park Hotel, 458, Dimokratias Av, ☎ , , , (mobile), e-mail: email@example.com. 2-star hotel built in 1977 and renovated in 2010. 30 A/C rooms with balcony. Central heating, open-air Swimming Pool
- 10 Oceanis Hotel, 20, Paleologou Street (Near the bus station), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 2-star hotel. 24 rooms.
- 11 Santa Rosa Beach Hotel, 1st km of Alexandroupolis - Nea Chili National Road, ☎ , , (Mobile). 1-star hotel. 28 A/C rooms with bath or shower.
- 13 Alexander Beach & Convention Center, 2nd km Nat. Rd (next to Casino Thraki), ☎ . A 5-star hotel built in 1985 and renovated in 1998. 41 Executive rooms, 36 Superior rooms, 10 Family rooms, 7 Deluxe suites, 1 Presidential suite. Services: private beach, restaurant, poolside bar, hamam, beauty salon, spa, fitness centre.
- 14 Astir Egnatia Hotel (Near the stadium, right on the beach), ☎ . 5-star hotel. 125 standard rooms with balcony, 36 superior rooms with sea view, 36 maisonettes, 17 suites with veranda, 2 deluxe suites. Hamam, Jacuzzi, heated indoor swimming pool, etc
- Ferries to the island of Samothrace just to south of city leave mostly twice a day—but irregularly. There is a fast one (taking an hour and costing €17.70 pp), and a slower one also for cars (taking 3h and costing €8.80 pp). Tickets have to be bought in a travel agency near the port.
- One of the reasons to visit Alexandroupolis is to take the train to the border station of Pythion and change to train to Istanbul there.
- The nature reserves of Evros Delta and Dadia are known for their profusion of birds.
|Routes through Alexandroupolis|
|Thessaloniki ← Komotini ←||W E||→ İpsala → Istanbul|