It offers some picturesque scenery. Its unusual name has attracted some attention and it is thought that it may derive from a place name in Spain or Portugal. The people of Dildo are called Dildoians.
Dildo is located on Route 80, approximately 15 km from the Trans-Canada Highway. From St. John's it is about a 50 minute drive. Take the Trans-Canada Highway (Route 1) as far as Exit #28 where you turn on to Route 80. The town of Dildo is signposted 8 km down Route 80.
Buses connect the town to St. John's.
Where Dildo is a small community the only method of transportation is one you bring yourself! So get out and smell the salt air as you walk along the water front enjoying the beautiful view.
Dildo is well known for its own island, Dildo Island. There are adventure tours that run there daily during the summer. The Island boasts a huge archaeological dig, studying both the Beothic Indians and the Dorset Eskimos.
- Giggle at the name
- Whale watching
- Historic Dildo Days celebration (August)
- Dildo Island Adventure Tours, Route 80, Dildo Marina, Dildo, ☎ . "Heritage Explorer" whale-watching ship, local guide on board; view icebergs, dolphins, nesting bald eagles, seabirds and historic Dildo Island.
- Dildo Dory Grill, 9 Front Road, Dildo A0B 1P0, ☎ , fax: . Waterfront dining, chicken, seafood, steak.
- Fran's Kitchen, Dildo, ☎ . A good home cooked meal in a cosy atmosphere.
- Blue Whale Lounge in South Dildo is where many in the area retire, after a long weekend. Also home of Mudders takeout.
- Inn By The Bay, 78 Front Road, Dildo, ☎ , toll-free: . The inn's oceanside Verandah Dining Room serves a candlelit four course fixed-price dinner nightly.
- George House Heritage Bed and Breakfast, 80 Front Road, Dildo, ☎ .
- Island View Efficiency Cottage, Hwy 80, Broad Cove A0B 1P0, ☎ . , One three-bedroom cottage and three two-bedroom efficiency units. Satellite TV, stereo, broadband Internet.