Jump to navigation Jump to search
Downingtown is 33 miles west of Philadelphia.
The main mode of transportation is personal motor vehicle.
- The R5 Septa train line runs into the city to provide access for those who have jobs in the city but live in Downingtown.
- Septa also provides buses that run transit from many locations ranging from West Chester, King of Prussia, Frazer, and even to the city.
- Taxi services are available but may take long since it is not a city atmosphere.
- There are many historical sites to see in Downingtown, including many different locations ranging from old bridges to houses that have been standing for many years and are now historic sights.
- Valley Forge is a half-hour drive from Downingtown and provides a good bit of history on many of the military battles that have taken place in this area.
- Gettysburg is also about an hour and a half away which too gives a fantastic background on the battles that took place there.
- Walking paths. There are many great walking paths throughout Downingtown which take walkers along creeks and small rivers.
- Kerr Park: 45 acres. Huge grass fields which are good for all outdoor activities. Brandywine Creek, athletic fields, tennis court, basketball court, pavilions, swing set and play area, picnic areas with tables, public restrooms, paved paths with benches, and "The Sky's the Limit" — an all-abilities playground.
- Johnsontown Park: 7 acres, swing set and play area, basketball courts, soccer fields.
- Sunnybrook Park: 2 acres, softball field, basketball court
- The Ponds: 12 acres, 4 lakes, hiking trails. There is fishing available at the ponds which can be accessed by walking from the center of Downingtown.
- Marsh Creek: a Pennsylvania State Park of 1,705 acres with a 535-acre lake.
- Hiking- Many trails winding through woods in which mostly all bring you to another part of the park with water views along the way. All the paths in the park are welcome to pets.
- Biking- Some biking trails at the park are harder then others being as some are more frequently used and have been made more clear.
- Paved & dirt trails- For those who wish to walk but don't want to get dirty there are paved trails. For those who are more adventuresome the dirt trails flow through most of the woods.
- Picnic areas- There are many picnic areas and pavilions with shelter and room enough to fit everyone needed.
- Refreshment stands- There are two refreshment stands in the park: one is at the bottom by the boat rental area and the other is at the top near the pools.
- Boating, sailing, fishing
- Windsurfing- Windsurfing is available by rental or you may use your own equipment.
- Swimming pool- There is an adult pool with a water slide and diving board, and a small shallow kid-friendly pool with a water-spilling mushroom.
- Public restrooms- At the top of the pool area and down by the boat rental area.
- Open dawn to dusk
- United Sports Training Center: A sports facility with 13 full sized athletic fields which host numerous tournaments. There are two turf fields and three lighted fields. One of the turf fields is enclosed by fence and bleachers in a stadium setting. Parking lines all 12 fields so it is not a far walk for people when they are on different fields.
- Delaware County Community College
- West Chester University lies just a town over from
- Exton Mall: a 15-minute drive away, the mall contains a wide variety of shops for everyone and a food court with large eating areas.
- King of Prussia Mall: less then a 1/2-hour drive away,bit is the 5th biggest mall in the world with over 400 stores, restaurants & boutiques.
- Liones- one of the best pizzerias in town. Food ranges from pastas and fried goods to their specialty Italian strombolies, breads, and pizzas.
- Bone Fish (Exton)- Good wine selection and also terrific foods that are made fresh and the seafood is never frozen so it is the best around the area.
- Fridays (Exton)- A wide range of foods for the kids and adults that also has a bar.
- Red Robin (Exton)- Gourmet burgers and spirits.
- Brickside Grill (Downingtown)- Fresh seafood bar, Brick Oven to cook food fresh with the flavor of the fire.
- Uno's Pizza (Exton)- Bar and known for their deep dish and flat bread pizzas. They also have a wide variety of pasta dishes and appetizers.
|Routes through Downingtown|
|Lancaster ← Coatesville ←||W E||→ Exton → Philadelphia|
|Lancaster ← Thorndale ←||W E||→ Exton → Philadelphia|
|Harrisburg ← Honey Brook ←||W E||→ West Chester → Chester|
|END ← Thorndale ←||W E||→ Exton → Philadelphia|