Drymen has a population of 820. In the 18th and 19th centuries it was a popular stopping place for those driving cattle from the highlands to lowland markets. Today the village is a base for communting to Glasgow in addition to local agriculture, and is a popular stopping point on the West Highland Way walking track.
Buses from Alexandria, via Balloch station (for trains from Glasgow) are operated by Garelochhead Coaches, with about 10 buses per day. This route also serves Balmaha. Buses from Glasgow (2 per day) and Milngavie (4 per day) are operated by First Bus.
Drymen is small enough to explore on foot.
- 1 Buchanan Castle, Drymen (long the A811; enter through the gate of Buchanan Castle Golf Course). A ruin of an beautiful castle, which cannot be entered (danger of falling apart). Sadly, it is not getting maintained or repaired, but is worth a peek.
- 2 Glengoyne Distillery (6 miles south of Drymen). A whisky distillery which was founded in 1833. The whisky is malted without using smoke, giving a more lowland flavour. tours from £9.50.
- 1 Rob Roy Way. 92 miles (148 km) long distance footpath that runs from Drymen to Pitlochry.
- Drymen Agricultural Show and Highland Games are held in late May. The next event is Sat 25 May 2019.
- 1 Drymen Village Store, 15 Main St.
- 2 Peleton Bike Shop, 1 Stirling Rd.
- 3 RBS Mobile Bank (Car Park off Stirling Road). Mon 13:25 - 14:40. A Royal Bank of Scotland in a van visits Drymen once a week.
- 1 The Clachan Inn, Drymen Square, G63 0BL, ☏ . Is reputed to be the oldest in Scotland (1734), nice food and good atmosphere.
- 2 Drymen Inn, 5 Stirling Road, G63 0BW, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 24/7. The Drymen Inn is a newly refurbished, family run, Bar / Restaurant with letting rooms. Mains about £13.
- 1 The Winnock Hotel, The Square, G63 0BL, ☏ . A three-star hotel, reputed to be the most haunted in Scotland! Originally used as an inn, it has great character, if somewhat basic facilities. Creaking floorboards and mismatched furniture add to its charm. Food is somewhat hit and miss, as is the service.
- 2 Buchanan Arms Hotel & Spa (Best Western), 22 Main St, ☏ .
- 3 Kip in the Kirk, 11 Stirling Rd. B & B and hostel in a converted church from £30.
- Balmaha or Balloch on the shores of Loch Lomond
- Helensburgh and Dumbarton on the River Clyde