The three main cities of the Eastern Province are all tightly clustered together and no more than a 15-min drive apart from each other.
- 1 Dammam — the capital of the Eastern Province
- 2 Dhahran — headquarters of Saudi Aramco
- 3 Khobar — the gateway to Bahrain
The rest are scattered around the coast:
- 4 Jubail — Biggest Industrial city of Saudi Arabia
- 5 Hofuf (al-Ahsa) — the world's largest oasis
- Wadi al-Dawasir (Sulayyil) — gateway to the Empty Quarter
Public transport is very limited, so having your own wheels will really pay off here.
You can find all kinds of cuisine here. You find a lot of Indian and Pakistani restaurants. Finding standalone vegetarian restaurants is impossible. A delicacy in Saudi Arabia that you should try is dhub. Dhub is a delicacy among the Arabian Bedouins. You can either boil it or roast it and serve it with rice. Most of the meat can be found in its armored tail. In English it's commonly referred to as the spiny tail lizard (Uromastyx microlepis).
Carry your passport/work permit all the time. You can asked to produce your documents any time of the days and night. Do not point your camera at a lady. Do not carry alcohol/drugs into Saudi Arabia. Avoid carrying medicines unless you have a prescription along with it. Do not carry any pornographic material with you.