Eastsound is on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. It is the largest population center on Orcas Island, the second-most populated (after San Juan Island) and physically largest of the San Juan Islands.
Eastsound's central and picturesque location make it a popular place to visit in the San Juan Islands.
Steamboats of the Puget Sound Mosquito Fleet used to dock at East Sound, one such vessel was the Sioux, a steel steamship built in 1910 and running out of Bellingham under the ownership of the Black Ball Line.
If Orcas Island is shaped like a horse shoe, then Eastsound is located in the middle of the curve. Orcas Road is the main road through town.
- [formerly dead link] Orcas Island Shuttle, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. June 26-September 6, 2010. This shuttle runs five round-trips a day during the summer, between the ferry landing and Moran State Park. Stops at Rosario Resort, Cascade Harbor Inn / Discovery House, Moran State Park, Country Corner / Inn At Ship Bay, Airport, Eastsound / Outlook Inn, Golf Course, West Sound, Deer Harbor, Ferry dock. Driving tours on compact disc also available. $6 one-way, $12 day pass..
- Kenmore Air, toll-free: , fax: , ✉ reservations@KenmoreAir.com. Kenmore Air seaplanes make several flights daily from downtown Seattle's Lake Union to seven locations in the San Juan Islands including Eastsound at the Rosario Resort. Kenmore Air Express also offers daily land plane service between Seattle's Boeing Field/King County International Airport (BFI IATA) and Friday Harbor Airport (FRD IATA). Complimentary shuttle transfers are available to/from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA IATA) for passengers on either Kenmore Air service. A quick and spectacular, though not cheap, way to arrive. $75-139.
- Rosario Resort Marina (located on protected Cascade Bay halfway up East Sound's eastern shore on Orcas Island at the historic Moran Mansion on East Sound.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The marina offers over 36 slips and eight mooring buoys. Has fuel dock, trash services, power and water. 26’ Slip - $45.00, 32’ Slip - $55.00, 40’ Slip - $65.00, 58’ Slip - $75.00, 59'-130' - $1.50 per foot, 4 hours free usage use channel VHF 78A.
Perhaps the most pleasant way to get around the island, especially if you aren't in a hurry, is by bicycle. You can bring your own bike on the ferry, or rent one at various outlets around the island.
- Wildlife Cycles, 350 North Beach Rd, ☏ . A full Service Bicycle Shop - Rentals, Sales, Repairs, Accessories.
- Emmanuel Episcopal Church. constructed in 1885, the church is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Darvill's Book Store, 296 Main St, ☏ . classic island book store with lots of great books, cards, and gifts. A great place for a cup of afternoon tea or the perfect place to enjoy a double espresso while staring out at the bay.
- Allium Restaurant, 310 Main St, ☏ . popular refined menu, might cost more than some of the other restaurants in town but worth every penny.
- Rose's Bakery & Cafe, 382 Prune Alley, ☏ . family friendly combo bakery, deli, kitchen supply shop that is nice inside and has a nice selection of local shellfish on the menu.
- Wild Island Restaurant and Juice Bar, 18 Urner St, ☏ .
- The Lower Tavern, 46 Prune Alley, ☏ . more than just a pub, holds bragging rights for best burger in town.
- 1 [dead link] Golden Tree Hostel, 1159 N Beach Rd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. The only hostel on the island; dorms, private rooms, and an outdoor dome available for sleeping accommodations. The hostel also has a kitchen, sauna, hot tub, pool table, fire pit, free wifi, computer station, towel rentals, and bike rentals. $35 dorm beds, $80 private rooms, $85 dome.
- 2 Rosario Resort and Spa, 1400 Rosario Rd, ☏ , toll-free: . Perhaps the most famous resort on any of the San Juan Islands, this grand hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has its own restaurants, spa, marina and sea plane launch. built by the well known Seattle ship builder Thomas Moran in 1905, the Moran Mansion—surrounded at that time by 7,800 acres (32 km2) of land—that is now the centerpiece of Rosario Resort.
- Eastsound Post Office, 221 A St # 1, ☏ .
Eastsound is located on Orcas Island and has easy access to Moran State Park.