Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > England > South East England > Kent > Dartford
- From London, take the A2 arterial road from either London or the M25 Orbital motorway.
- From Canterbury, take the M2 and the A2
Note that the Dartford tunnel and bridge are toll roads but do not have booths. Payment must be made on the website (car plate is scanned) within a couple of days otherwise you get a large fine.
Eurostar high-speed trains running from Paris (Gare du Nord), Lille (Europe), Calais (Fréthun) and Brussels (Zuid-Midi) stop at Ebbsfleet International station. The station is located on purpose developed land, with onsite car parking for over 9000 vehicles.
Passengers travelling by Eurostar to the UK from Paris (Gare du Nord), Lille (Europe), Calais (Fréthun) and Brussels (Zuid-Midi) stations undergo UK passport/identity card checks in France/Belgium before boarding, rather than on arrival in the UK. The UK passport checks take place after the French/Belgian passport/identity card exit checks in the stations. However, UK customs checks take place on arrival in the UK.
Passengers travelling to France/Belgium from Ashford International go through French passport/identity card checks in the station before boarding the train, whilst selective customs checks take place on arrival in France/Belgium following disembarkation.
Ashford International is also served by domestic trains from several major London stations (see below). Ashford International station was re-opened on 28 February 1996 and first operated international trains departing from Waterloo, London. The station was the first stop in England on the Channel Tunnel rail link, allowing trains to link from the UK directly to France and Belgium via the Channel Tunnel.
In 2007 a new high-speed rail line was installed at Ashford International called High Speed 1. All International trains now depart from St Pancras International railway station in London, which was reopened in 2007 to replace all services previously operating from Waterloo, London. In 2009 Ashford International train station further improved its domestic train services with the launch of Britain's first high-speed domestic trains to St Pancras International, London and Ebbsfleet International, Kent.
Domestic trains are operated by SouthEastern From London St Pancras to Ebbsfleet (typical journey time 15 – 17 minutes). By 2010 trains from Ashford International and Stratford International will also serve Ebbsfleet, although for alternative London stations it may be necessary to change at Ebbsfleet. As of 2009 the new high-speed trains on the St Pancras International - Ebbsfleet route will have a full timetable.
- 1 Tilbury Fort, Tilbury, RM18 7NR (13 mies east of Dartford), ☎ . adults £4.60, children £2.80, concessions £4.10.
- 1 Orchards Shopping Centre, High Street, Dartford, Kent, DA1 1DN, ☎ . Mon-Sat - 9AM-6PM, Sun - Closed. Free.
- 2 Priory Shopping Centre, Dartford, Kent, DA1 2HS, ☎ . Mon-Sat - 9AM-5:30PM, Sun 10AM-4PM-. Free.
- 3 Bluewater Shopping centre, Greenhithe, Kent, DA9 9ST, ☎ . Mon-Fri - 10am-9PM, Sat - 9AM-9PM, Sun - 11AM-5PM. Free.
- Holiday Inn Express London Dartford, University Way, ☎ .
- 1 DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dartford Bridge, Masthead Close, Crossways Business Park (just off the M25 motorway), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Stylish hotel.