Hornchurch is an outer district of East London, England. It is about 15 mi (24 km) from the centre of the city, in the London Borough of Havering. It is one of two main tourist centres in Havering and extends to include the neighbouring areas of Rainham and Upminster, with a collection of small museums and heritage sites. The area is primarily a residential suburb, but has some value hotel accommodation and is on the London Underground network. It has a large theatre and is a popular location for weddings. There is a large retail area which has a good selection of restaurants, cafes and bars. There are a lot of outdoor activities, parklands and hiking trails. The area of Hornchurch is 31,000 m2 (330,000 ft²).
On public transport, coming from the City of London the quickest route is a c2c train from Fenchurch Street to Upminster and then the District line. From the rest of Central London the journey is best completed by using the London Underground.
There are three London Underground stations on the District line in Zone 6 around Hornchurch. However none are especially close to the town centre:
- 1 Hornchurch London Underground, Station Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 6LS (half a mile south of the town centre), ☏ . M-Sa 5AM-1:30AM; Su 5:30AM-1AM. On the District line.
- 2 Elm Park London Underground, The Broadway, Hornchurch, RM12 4RW (1.5 miles southwest of the town centre), ☏ . M-Sa 5AM-1:30AM; Su 5:30AM-1AM. On the District line.
- 3 Upminster Bridge London Underground, Upminster Road, Hornchurch, RM12 6PL (1 mile east of the town centre), ☏ . M-Sa 5AM-1:30AM; Su 5:30AM-1AM. On the District line.
The nearest National Rail station is at Emerson Park to the north (served by Greater Anglia). This has limited services and requires a connection at either Upminster or Romford.
- Emerson Park (north of the town centre). Greater Anglia services from Romford and Upminster
- Rainham (about 3 miles south of Hornchurch town centre). c2c services from Fenchurch Street and Grays.
- Upminster (about a mile east of Hornchurch town centre). c2c services from Fenchurch Street, Tilbury and Southend. Interchange with the District line.
London Buses routes 165, 193, 248, 252, 256, 365 (24 hour), 370 and 372 all pass through or near Hornchurch Town Centre. These routes provide connections to the three tube stations and the National Rail stations mentioned above. 24-hour route 365 provides a connection with the rest of the night bus network at Romford.
- Bus 165. Rainham—Elm Park—Hornchurch—Emerson Park—Romford.
- Bus 193. County Park—Hornchurch—Romford—Queen's Hospital.
- Bus 248. Cranham—Upminster—Hornchurch—Roneo Corner—Romford.
- Bus 252. Hornchurch—Elm Park—Roneo Corner—Romford—Collier Row.
- Bus 256. Hornchurch—Emerson Park—Ardleigh Green—Harold Wood—Harold Hill—Noak Hill.
- Bus 365. 24 hour. South Hornchurch—Elm Park—Hornchurch—Roneo Corner—Queen's Hospital—Romford—Collier Row—Havering Park.
- Bus 370. Lakeside—South Ockendon—North Ockendon—Upminster—Hornchurch—Emerson Park—Heath Park—Romford.
- Bus 372. Lakeside—Aveley—Wennington—Rainham—South Hornchurch—Elm Park—Hornchurch.
The nearest trunk routes are the A12, A127, A13 and M25
Hornchurch cultural centre
Hornchurch has a large theatre and an arts space. There is an annual Hornchurch Festival.
- 1 Fairkytes Arts Centre, 53 Billet Lane, Hornchurch, RM11 1AX, ☏ . Arts centre with occasional public events and exhibits.
- 2 Queen's Theatre, Billet Lane, Hornchurch, RM11 1QT, ☏ . 500-seat theatre with an active production company called Cut to the Chase and regular performances. The theatre opened in this purpose-built site in 1975. The Arts Council of England provide funding for the theatre and it is also a registered charity.
Upminster heritage sites
Upminster has three heritage sites. They have limited opening, mostly weekends during the summer. To make visiting easier, they all open at the same time, and are within walking distance of each other.
- 3 Old Chapel, St Mary's Lane, Upminster, RM14 2QR. Daily 2-5PM. Grade II listed restored chapel for Protestant Dissenters. Free.
- 4 Tithe Barn Museum, Hall Lane, Upminster, RM14 2TX, ☏ . Collection of 14,500 artifacts of domestic and agricultural use, ranging from Roman times to the present day. Its thatched building dates from 1450. Free.
- 5 Upminster Windmill, St Mary's Lane, Upminster, RM14 2QL, ☏ . 2-5PM. Grade II* listed smock mill that is being restored to be a working windmill. Free.
Rainham and the River Thames
Rainham is about 3 miles south of Hornchurch town centre on the River Thames and has become a tourist destination since the development of the RSPB Rainham nature reserve.
- 6 Rainham Hall, The Broadway, Rainham, RM13 9YN, ☏ , email@example.com. Limited opening.
- 7 RSPB Rainham, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
The area has a lot of good quality large parks. Many of them form part of the Thames Chase community forest.
- 8 Harrow Lodge Park, Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch, RM12 4AD. Park with a boating lake and cafe.
- 9 Hornchurch Country Park (Thames Chase), Squadrons Approach, Hornchurch, RM12 6TS. Park on the former site of Hornchurch Airfield, south of Hornchurch. The River Ingrebourne passes through it. The most popular part of the park is to the west of the Ingreborne, where the ground is flat and paved; this area is most commonly frequented by dog walkers. The woodland to the east of the river is somewhat inaccessible. There is a fishing lake and there are many paths leading from the park to other near by areas, including Upminster, Dagenham and Rainham. There are a number of pillboxes and other items dating from the Second World War.
There is a stadium on the boundary between Hornchurch and Upminster, home to local sports team. It is also possible to see cricket matches during the summer at Harrow Lodge Park.
- 10 Hornchurch Stadium, Bridge Avenue, Upminster, RM14 2LX, ☏ . Home to Hornchurch FC, a non-league football teams and Havering Mayesbrook Athletic Club.
- 1 Delta Force (East London Paintball Centre), Aveley Road, Upminster, RM14 2TN.
- 2 Hornchurch Sports Centre, Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch, RM11 1JU. You can find several activities like swimming, squash, cricket and gym.
- 3 Langtons House, ☏ . Langtons House is the register office of the London Borough of Havering. It is a Georgian Grade II listed building overlooking landscaped gardens and an ornamental lake. It includes function rooms and is a popular location for weddings and civil partnerships. The grounds are open as a public park. There is an annual free concert in the summer.
- 4 London LOOP hiking trail (Section 22 starts at Harold Wood, 23 at Upminster Bridge and 24 at Rainham). Hiking trail that encircles the whole of London.
Hornchurch has a good selection of basic high street shops, but offers little more. There are large malls that can be accessed by car and public transport at Intu Lakeside and Westfield Stratford City. Nearby Romford has a wide selection of shops and several shopping centres.
There are lots of restaurants throughout Hornchurch, both independent and chains. Many are around the high street area:
- 1 Le Moulin, 18B Station Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 6NJ, ☏ . Independent authentic French patisserie with good coffee.
- 2 Da Vinci's, 13-15 Station Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 6JL (half a mile north of Hornchurch London Underground Station), ☏ . Independent Italian restaurant.
- 3 Ask Italian, 168 High Street, Hornchurch, RM12 6QU, ☏ .
- 4 Havester (The Compasses), 125 Abbs Cross Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 4XS, ☏ .
- 5 Nando's, 18B Station Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 6NJ, ☏ .
- 6 Pizza Express, 131-133 St Mary's Lane, Upminster RM14 2SH, ☏ .
- 7 Prezzo, 189 High Street, Hornchurch, RM11 3XT, ☏ . Chain Italian restaurant.
- 8 Wildwood, 168 High Street, Hornchurch, RM12 6QU (half a mile north of Hornchurch London Underground Station), ☏ .
- 9 Zizzi, 41-43 Station Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 6JT. Chain Italian restaurant. Check their website for voucher offers.
This area has a large collection of Indian restaurants:
- 10 Alishan, 27 Station Road, Upminster, RM14 2SJ, ☏ .
- 11 Bollywood Spice, 197 St Mary's Lane, Upminster, RM14 3BU, ☏ .
- 12 Cafe Le Raj, 167 St Mary's Lane, Upminster, RM14 3BL, ☏ .
- 1 iCoffee, 7 Suttons Lane, Hornchurch RM12 6RD (just south of Hornchurch London Underground Station), ☏ . Independent coffee shop.
- 2 Starbucks, 127-133 High Street, Hornchurch, RM11 1TX, ☏ .
Pubs and bars
- 3 The Fatling, 109 High Street, Hornchurch, RM11 1TX, ☏ .
- 4 The Harrow (Ember Pub & Dining), 130 Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch, RM11 1DP.
- 5 J.J. Moon's (Wetherspoon), 46-62 High Street, Hornchurch, RM12 4UN, ☏ .
- 6 KC's, 155 Billet Lane, Hornchurch, RM11 1UR (Opposite Emerson Park Station), ☏ .
- 7 Railway Hotel (Ember Inns), Station Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 6SB.
- 8 Sutton Arms, 14-16 Station Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 6NJ.
- 9 The Windmill (Greene King), 167 Upminster Road, Upminster, RM14 2RB, ☏ .
Hotels in walking distance of the town centre and London Underground:
- 1 Devonshire Hotel, 94 Station Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 6LX (Approximately a quarter mile north of Hornchurch London Underground Station), ☏ , fax: . £58+.
- 2 Innkeepers Lodge (Railway Hotel), Station Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 6SB (Adjacent to Hornchurch London Underground Station), ☏ . £39+.
Hotels more suited to driving:
- 3 Bell Inn, 32 Broadway, Rainham, RM13 9YW, ☏ . £25-40.
- 4 Manor Hotel (Berwick Manor), Berwick Pond Road, Rainham, RM13 9EL, ☏ .
- 5 Palms Hotel, Southend Arterial Road, Hornchurch, RM11 3UJ (no pedestrian access; approximately 2 miles west of M25 J29), ☏ .
- 6 Premier Inn, New Road, Wennington, RM13 9ED, ☏ .
Locations with free Cloud WiFi[dead link]:
- Hornchurch Sports Centre.
- J.J. Moon's.
Locations with free O2 Wifi[dead link]:
- The Harrow.
- Railway Hotel.
|Routes through Hornchurch|
|East London ← Dagenham ←||W E||→ Upminster → END|
|North London ← Brentwood ←||anticlockwise clockwise||→ Dartford → South London|