Edo State is a state in South South Nigeria. The capital of Edo is Benin City which has a lot of statues at several roundabouts with various meaning, there are 18 Local Government Areas in Edo state.
- 1 Benin City — one of the oldest cities in Nigeria, dating back to pre-colonial times
- 2 Afuze
- 3 Auchi
- 4 Ekpoma
- 5 Ewu
- 6 Irrua
- 7 Ovia North-East
- 8 Ubiaja
- 9 Ukhun
- 10 Agenebode
- 11 Ososo
- 12 Ibillo
- 13 Okpella
- 14 Fugar
- 15 Okpekpe
- 16 Igueben
- 1 Okomu National Park — a small fragment of the rich forest that once covered the region, and is the last habitat for many endangered species
Edo State is one of the 36 states of Nigeria, located in the southern region of the country. The state's capital Benin City is the fourth largest city in Nigeria, and the centre of the country's rubber industry. Edo was created in 1991 from the former Bendel State, Edo State borders Kogi State to the northeast, Anambra State to the east, Delta State to the southeast, and Ondo State to the west.
The official language of Edo is Bini but most people speak English, because English is the official language of Nigeria. The English spoken by most Edos is pidgin English, while some Edo people speaks the British English.
Edo is the home of art; there are a lot of bronze art in Edo.
Edo state loves the presence of foreigners, because the presence of foreigners make them feel proud of their state. Edo is rich in culture and there is no Internet tribal conflict because they consider everyone to be equal.
You can get into Edo State in various ways.
- 1 Benin Airport BNI IATA is an airport serving Edo State and its environs with a few daily flights from Kano, Lagos and Abuja, with Arik Air offering the most flights.
Benin International Airport: This is an airport in Benin City, and all you need to do is to book your flight from any part of the country to Edo state.
There are several transportation companies that offer services within and outside Edo State. Some of which are:
- God is Good Motors (GIGM)
- Iyare Motors
- Efex Motors
- Libra Motors
- Agofure Motors
- GUO Motors.
- De Modern Motors
All you need to do is to book a ride from the comfort of your home on your Internet enabled device, then you can even select your preferred seat, afterwards all you need do is to get to the bus terminal on the day of departure.
There are several ways to get around in Edo State. The most popular are:
There are several buses (white and yellow, white color) around in Edo state, to take you around. All you need to do is to get to the nearest bus station and book a bus journeying to your preferred destination. The price range and is dependent on the distance of your destination; trips can vary from N100 to about N500 within a locality in Edo state.
There are cabs everywhere around Edo State to take you around.
By car-hailing services
There are various car-hailing services in Edo State including Bolt and Uber. You can book a ride on any internet-enabled device and a driver and a car is connected to you who will then come to your present location to pick you up and take you to your desired destination. This is the most expensive mode of getting around in Edo state, but it is very comfortable.
• Edo people are loving people,very caring and highly hospitable. When walking in the metro police of Edo state you tend to see statues all over (especially at roundabouts) of great men, women and animals.
- Okpekpe Road Race. The Okpekpe Road Race invites world-class runners from around the world in a tradition to intermix local recreational and up and coming runners with the best of the best. The event, the first road race in Nigeria nay West Africa to be granted a label by World Athletics and designated as one of the leading road races around the world, is a 10 km race.
There are some foods which are quite common amongst the Edo people. The Edo people are known to eat foods like: Santana (also known as fufu), pounded yam, starch, orhe (ogbono) soup (draw soup) and black soup amongst many others.
The most common source of drinking water in Benin City is borehole. And this is available in many houses. Some also dig wells in their compounds which they use for cleaning, drinking and for other domestic activities.
Edo State generally is relatively safe. However, extra care should be taken while taking a walk during the nightlife.