Eisenhüttenstadt was originally founded as Stalinstadt in the 1950s in the east of the then GDR, to house the employees of an iron works (Eisenhütte) nearby. As Stalin or rather the personal cult geared towards him fell out of favor after Khrushchev took over in Moscow, Stalinstadt was united with the pre-existing city of Fürstenberg to form a new municipality under the de-Stalinized name of "Eisenhüttenstadt". While the town has had the same problems after 1990 as most towns of its size in the former east (unemployment, young people moving out, low birth rates, to name a few), its rather unique history and architecture make it a somewhat "undiscovered" destination for tourism. While the name may be somewhat confusing if you don't speak German, it simply means Iron Hut City and locals often shorten it to "Hütte" in daily conversation.
The closest international airports are in Berlin: Tegel TXL IATA and Schönefeld SXF IATA. They will at some point be replaced by a new international airport at the site where Schönefeld now is BER IATA (also valid for the whole city of Berlin).
- 2 Bahnhof Eisenhüttenstadt.
From the A12 about 28 km south of Frankfurt an der Oder.
The Stalinist architecture is a major draw for travelers and in fact many buildings are protected due to their historic and architectural value.
- Jesu Christi Der Heiligen der letzten Tage, Lindenplatz 1, ☏ . Church.
- Soviet memorial (Sowjetisches Ehrenmal), Platz des Gedenkens. For 4109 prisoners of war.
- Memorial stone in Jewish cemetery (Gedenkstein auf dem Jüdischen Friedhof), Kirchhofweg. For a murdered Jewish family from Fürstenberg.
- Memorial plaque (Gedenktafel am Geburtshaus), Königstraße 61. For shot Jewish couple.
- Gasometer des EKO-Stahlwerks.
- 1 , Erich-Weinert-Allee 3, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 11:00-17:00. Adult €4 reduced €2.
- Museum Eisenhüttenstadt, Löwenstraße 4, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 10:00-17:00, Sa Su 13:00-17:00. regular €2, reduced €1, more for special exhibitions.
- Feuerwehrmuseum, Heinrich-Pritzsche-Straße 26, ☏ .