Eisenstadt is the state capital of Burgenland in Austria. It consists of 4 districts: Kleinhöflein im Burgenland, Eisenstadt-Oberberg, Eisenstadt-Unterberg and St. Georgen am Leithagebirge. Kleinhöflein is the most western part of Eisenstadt, St. Georgen am Leithagebirge the most eastern one. Both are known for their vintners and the many Heurigen. Eisenstadt-Oberberg is popular for the Bergkirche or Haydnkirche, which houses the Haydnmausoleum while Eisenstadt-Unterberg is characterized by the former Jewish district.
When staying in Vienna, it's pretty common to go on a day trip to Eisenstadt. It's 50 minutes away from Vienna in good traffic. Avoid the A2 (Südautobahn) during the rush hour (15:00-18:00).
Trains go from various stations in Vienna via Wulkaprodersdorf hourly on workdays. The schedules can differ on weekends and national holidays, but all stations are marked properly when it comes to that.
Eisenstadt is a quite small city. Therefore you can walk around and get to see all sights, though. Taxis are available in each part of the city, their main station is at the Domkirche St. Martin in the inner city. Bikes can be rented at different places. The city uses the System nextbike: At first you have to register yourself, afterwards you can check if a bike's available and get it.
- 1 Bergkirche - housing Haydn's mausoleum and a calvary
- 2 Domkirche St.Martin - late Gothic former military church, began in 1460.
- 3 Franziskanerkirche - built in 1629, it contains the crypt of the princely family Esterházy
Castles and palaces
- 4 Esterházy Castle - Eisenstadt's landmark and former residence of the princely family Esterházy
- 5 Gloriette - the former Esterházy hunting lodge
- 6 City Hall (Rathaus)
- 7 Haydn's house - a museum dedicated to Joseph Haydn, who lived in the building between 1766 and 1778.
- 8 State Museum (Landesmuseum)
- 9 State Gallery (Landesgalerie)
- 10 Diocese Museum (Diözesanmuseum)
- 11 Austrian Jewish Museum - housing a private synagogue
- 12 [formerly dead link] Fire Department Museum (Feuerwehrmuseum)
- 1 [formerly dead link] Sports Center (Allsportzentrum Eisenstadt), Bad-Kissingen-Platz 1, ☏ . indoor swimming pool, sauna, artificial ice rink, gymnasium, massage, hairdresser, restaurant
- 2 [formerly dead link] Open-Air Pool (Freibad im Schlosspark) (Schlosspark), ☏ .
Apart from these centres, it's worth spending some time in the castle's park. There are huge meadows where you can sit and have a picnic. There are some statuaries, obelisks and hidden ponds that can be discovered by a long walk.
- 1 Shopping Center Eisenstadt (Einkaufszentrum Eisenstadt), Rusterstraße 82-104, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 09:00-18:30, F 09:00-19:00, Sa 09:00-18:00. Grocery market, clothes, cosmetics, hair dresser, books, travel agency.
- 2 FMZ Haidäcker Park, Haidäcker Park. M-F 09:00-18:30, Sa 09:00-18:00. Cosmetics, grocery market, books, sports, glasses, shoes.
- 3 FMZ Rusterstraße, Rusterstraße, 7000 Eisenstadt. M-F 09:00-18:30, Sa 09:00-18:00. Cosmetics, sports, animals, books, school, shoes.
- Gasthaus Zum Heimchen, Feldstraße 35, 7000 Eisenstadt.
- Hotel Burgenland, Franz Schubert - Platz 1, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. 174 beds. Breakfast, all rooms with a bathroom, toilet, telephone, radio, satellite and pay TV, minibar, safe, hair dryer, trouser press, PC connection, makeup mirrors, sauna, indoor pool, spa offering in addition to building with direct access, restaurant, café, bar, terrace, seminar rooms, a garage, elevator, bicycle adjusters possibility. Children, dogs allowed.
- [dead link] Hotel Ohr, Ruster Street 51, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 78 beds. The majority of the rooms are equipped with air conditioning, restaurant, cafe, pub cellar, guest-tree garden, terrace, seminar and eating rooms, conference room (for a fee), a bike setting, child discount, dogs allowed.
- Haus der Begegnung, Kalvarienbergplatz 11, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. 62 beds. Breakfast, all rooms with a shower, toilet, radio, hair dryer, cable TV, telephone, restaurant, café, terrace, rooms for meetings, seminar rooms, the basement lounge, safe, wheel, lift, bike setting, parking. Kinderermäßigung, Hunde erlaubt; children, dogs allowed.
- Romania, Untere Hauptstrasse 1, 2473 Potzneusiedl, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Honorary Consulate (Does not provide consular services. Instead, Romanian citizens in need of assistance should contact the embassy in Vienna.).
- The Steinbruch in St.Margarethen is a popular event location in summer. Famous operas are staged every year, for example Aida or Tosca. Every 5 years the passion plays take place. It's about 5 km from Eisenstadt. You can get there by car or bus easily.
- The Seefestspiele in Mörbisch are quite similar to the ones in St.Margarethen. Apart from the fact that different operettas are staged and various concerts take place as well.
- The Familypark Neusiedler See is Austria's second biggest amusement park next to the Prater in Vienna. You have to pay €19.50 once (children under 3 are free) and can use each attraction. Even though it's especially designed for children, adults can also have lots of fun there.
- Sopron, a half hour drive away. One of the nicest town of Hungary.