Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI IATA) is approximately 12 miles (19 km) from Ellicott City. Take a taxi from the airport.
Coming from D.C., take 16th Street to Colesville Road/Columbia Pike (US-29) about 25 miles, then take a right on Frederick Road, continuing to the historic district.
From Baltimore, head west on US-40 (the Baltimore National Pike), and turn left on Rogers Ave for the historic district.
The main attraction in Ellicott City is the 1 Historic Main Street, popular with day-trippers and tourists for its old-time charm, upscale restaurants and cafes, and a couple historic attractions.
- 2 Thomas Isaac Log Cabin, Main St & Ellicott Mills Dr, ☏ . Sa Su 1PM-4PM. One of Ellicott City's first homes, from the 18th Century. Free.
- 3 Patapsco Female Institute, ☏ . Situated on a hilltop overlooking the Patapsco River Valley, the ruins of The Patapsco Female Institute are open to the public. The Institute was founded in 1837 as an boarding school for young women. Outdoor theatrical performances are sometimes held in the ruins, performed by The Chesapeake Shakespeare Company. Fair warning to the superstitious and the easily spooked: The Institute is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of a young woman named Annie Van Derlot who died while attending the school. Free.
- 4 [dead link] Ellicott City B & O Railroad Station Museum, 2711 Maryland Ave, ☏ . The oldest surviving railroad station in America, the Ellicott City station was the original terminus of the first thirteen miles of commercial railroad ever built in the country, stretching from Baltimore to Ellicott Mills. While no train rides are available at the station today, visitors can still see the Main Depot building, the freight house, a replica of the first horse-drawn passenger rail car, and a 1927 "I-5" Caboose. A 40-foot HO-gauge model train replica of the original thirteen miles of track is on display in the freight house.
- 5 Centennial Park, 10000 MD-108, ☏ . Part of Howard County's more than 7000-acre scenic park system, Centennial Park has won three awards for its natural beauty. The park is 325 acres and features a 2.4-mile loop around Centennial Lake. Activities include boating (rental is available), fishing, sports, or just enjoying the scenery. Many picnic sites are located thorough the park, so this is an excellent location for travelers to enjoy a take-out lunch. Free.
- 6 [dead link] Meadowbrook Park, 5001 Meadowbrook Lane, ☏ . A 77-acre community park featuring multiple sports fields, an open-play area; and a large playground, all connected by 2.5 miles of walking paths. Free.
- 7 [dead link] Font Hill Wetlands Park, 3520 Font Hill Drive, ☏ . A nice little 26-acre park, with wetlands, a stream, three ponds, and shady woods, this is an ideal habitat for wildlife. Ducks and geese, frogs and turtles, schools of fish, and many insect species are guaranteed sightings, especially in and around the large pond. The gazebo in the large pond is a great place to fish from, or just to stop and take in the scenery. Free.
- 1 Patapsco Valley State Park, 8020 Baltimore National Pike, ☏ . A 16,000-acre (65 sq km) public park with 70 miles (113 km) of maintained trails. The park offers hiking, fishing, camping, canoeing, horseback trails, mountain bike trails, and picnicking.
- 1 Antique Depot, 3720 Maryland Avenue, Ellicott City, MD 21043, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:30AM to 6PM. Easily the best place for antiques shopping in Ellicott City. The Antique Depot is a mini-mall full of character and variety, home to numerous dealers and vendors selling antiques and collectibles.
- 2 [dead link] Long Gate Shopping Center. Shopping center near Meadowbrook Park with several chain stores, restaurants and a gas station.
- 3 [dead link] Normandy Shopping Center.
There are endless places to eat in greater Ellicott City, but as a visitor, the best (and often priciest) options are on the Historic Main Street, and there are a bunch to choose from.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Johnny's Bistro, 8167 Main Street (take us-29 north, exit on us-40 west, take a left at St. John's lane, take the 3rd left (frederick rd) johnnys on right), ☏ . Although very pricey thheir food is great. They have specialty soup every day and thay have great oyster casino.
- 2 La Palapa Grill & Cantina, 8307 Main Street Ellicott City MD 21043, ☏ , email@example.com. Restaurant: Monday - Thursday 11:30AM - 9:30PM Friday - Saturday 11:30AM - 10:30PM, Sunday 11AM - 9:30PM; Sunday brunch: 11AM - 3PM; late fare: 10PM - 1AM; bar: Monday 11:30AM - midnight, Tuesday - Saturday 11:30AM - 2AM, Sunday 11AM - midnight. Family owned and operated, La Palapa Grill & Cantina offers a taste of authentic Mexican cuisine in Ellicott City's Historic District, plus a full bar with mariachi music on weekends.
- 3 Pachanga Cocina Mexicana, 10291 Baltimore National Pike Ellicott City, MD 21042, ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-9PM, F Sa 11AM-9:30PM, Sunday Brunch served until 3PM. Located on the Baltimore National Pike as it passes through Ellicott City, Pachanga Cocina Mexicana is family owned and operated restaurant serving an excellent variety of quality Mexican cuisine.
- 4 Stella Notte, 8809 Baltimore National Pike, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M - Th 11:30AM – 9PM, F 11:30 – 10PM, Sa 4-10PM, Su 4–8PM. Casual Italian restaurant Located off Baltimore National Pike, near the on-ramp from Columbia Pike. Stella Notte serves a variety of salads, brick oven pizzas, and specialty sandwiches.
- 5 Facci, 11095 Resort Road, ☏ , email@example.com. 11AM-10PM. Bistro-style Italian restaurant with a wine bar, located in the Turf Valley Towne Square. Facci serves many delicious Italian dishes, Neopolitan-style wood fire pizza.
- 6 [formerly dead link] Yama Asian Fusion, 10039 Baltimore National Pike, ☏ . M-Th 11AM - 10PM, F Sa 11AM - 10:30PM, Su 11:30AM - 10PM. Local Asian restaurant in the Forest Green complex, offering a wide array of Japanese, Chinese & Thai dishes. Asian Lunch Specials and take out are also available.
- 1 [dead link] Ellicott Mills Brewing Co, 8308 Main Street, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Local craft brewery & pub in historic Old Ellicott City. Drafts of their own craft beers, pub food, classes & tastings are all on offer here.
- 2 The Judge's Bench, 8385 Main St, ☏ . Open every day till 2AM except Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter & 4th of July (Opening time: M-F 4PM, Sa 2PM, Su 1PM). Located in an old building near the original Howard County courthouse, The Judge's Bench is a local pub with 17 rotating taps serving over 75 craft brews. The menu consists of pub fare, soups, snacks and sandwiches.
- 3 T-Bonz Grille & Taphouse, 4910 Waterloo Rd (turn into small shopping center at the intersection of Montgomery Road and Waterloo Road; follow around to rear of building), ☏ . M 11AM-10PM, Tu-Sa 11AM till late, Su 11AM-9PM. No longer in operation as of 2022.
- 4 The White Oak Tavern, 10030 Baltimore National Pike (From Baltimore National Pike, turn into Enchanted Forest shopping center. Drive along the outside of the parking lot until you come to The White Oak Tavern at the corner of buildings 10030 and 10040), ☏ . M-Th 11AM-11PM (kitchen closes at 10PM), F 10AM-1AM, Sa 11AM-1AM, Su 10AM-10PM. Tavern located in the Enchanted Forest shopping center, serving up New American cuisine alongside a wide range of beers and drinks.
- 5 [dead link] Kelsey's Irish Pub, Normandy Shopping Center 8480 Baltimore National Pike, ☏ . A friendly, neighborhood pub-style environment with live music.
- 1 Turf Valley Resort, 2700 Turf Valley Rd, ☏ , toll-free: . A golf and spa resort that often caters to large business meetings and events. $120-250.
- 1 Howard County Library System Charles E. Miller Branch & Historical Center, 9421 Frederick Rd, ☏ . Miller Branch is Howard County Library System's (HCLS) newest and largest branch, a state-of-the-art facility that was opened December 17, 2011. Complete with free wifi, and computers in every corner, each running the Groovix Linux distro, and equipped with full internet access. In addition to stopping by for the web connectivity, it's worth taking the time to browse through the vast selection of books, taking a walk through the "Enchanted Garden", or hanging out on the green roof garden.
- Main Street. A public wifi network, FreeHoCoGov, is accessible along Main Street, from Fels Lane, down to the Baltimore county line.
|Routes through Ellicott City|
|Hagerstown ← Frederick ←||W E||→ Woodlawn → Baltimore|
|Washington, D.C. ← Columbia ←||S N||→ END|
|Hagerstown ← Frederick ←||W E||→ Woodlawn → Baltimore|