Hagerstown is the county seat of, and the largest city in, Washington County. The city is perhaps best known for its outlet mall, which offers a huge variety of clothing among other things. The community is named after Jonathan Hager, a German pioneer who settled the area in the mid-1700s. Hagerstown has an approximate city population of 40,000 and metropolitan population of ~260,000.
Hagerstown is only 75 minutes away from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and Harrisburg. The main interstate highways running by the city are I-81 and I-70, each of which have multiple well-signed exits for Hagerstown and intersect southwest of the city. US 40 and US 11 run through the city and cross in central Hagerstown.
Atlantic Coast Charter Buses [dead link] has stops in Hagerstown.
Hagerstown Regional Airport (IATA: HGR), located 5 miles (8 km) due north of the city, is commercially serviced with flights to and from Orlando-Sanford International Airport and St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport through Allegiant Airlines, and Pittsburgh International Airport and Washington-Dulles International Airport via Sun Air Express. Alternatively, one can use Baltimore-Washington International Airport (IATA: BWI), Harrisburg International Airport (IATA: MDT), Washington National Airport (IATA: DCA), or Washington Dulles International Airport (IATA: IAD) all of which are within 60 miles (97 km) to 75 miles (121 km) driving distance of Hagerstown.
- Renting cars or driving to Hagerstown is advised because only the downtown area is walkable. Walking downtown, however, is safe and charming.
- For a taxi you could call Miller Cabs, Turner Vans, or hail Downtown Taxi! cabs on the streets in downtown.
- County Commuter buses are effective and go to all points in Hagerstown and Washington County.
Aside from simply admiring the ubiquitous vistas of the Appalachian Mountains, you might also want to see:
- Discovery Station, 101 W Washington St, ☎ . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 2PM-5PM. Non-profit volunteer-run science museum dedicated to providing an exciting learning environment for curious minds of all ages. Active Military and Reservists (and immediate family members) • No Charge, Children 3 and under • No Charge, Ages 4-17 • $6.00, Adults • $7.00, Seniors (55 and over) and Retired Military • $5.00.
- Hagerstown City Park, 501 Virginia Ave, ☎ . 6AM-10PM. Stroll through a beautifully traditional city park, with playgrounds for the kids, picnic areas, and a flock of ducks and geese to accompany you on your walk around the park's lake. free.
- Hager House, 110 Key St, ☎ . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 2PM-5PM. See the founder of Hagerstown's pre-Revolutionary War house. $3.
- Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, 501 Virginia Ave (Hagerstown City Park), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Tu-Fr 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-4PM, Su 1PM-5PM. Free.
- Maryland Theatre, 21 S. Potomac St, ☎ , , fax: . Symphony House that plays host to famous performers and all of the Maryland beauty pageants. Home to the Maryland Symphony Orchestra.
- Washington County Playhouse, 44 N. Potomac St, ☎ . Dinner Theatre.
- The city is a focal point for mountain bikers, fishermen, canoeists and hunters interested in the plentiful outdoor recreational opportunities in the area. The Appalachian Trail and the Chesapeake and Ohio (C & O) Canal Towpath are close by.
- Hagerstown Suns (Municipal Stadium), 274 Memorial Blvd. E. (from Dual Hwy., turn west on Mt. Aetna Road and continue until it becomes Memorial Blvd. at the stadium), ☎ . "A-level minor league baseball team, affiliated with the Washington Nationals." $5-$9.
- Black Rock Golf Course, 20025 Mt. Aetna Rd, ☎ . $26-$42/18 holes.
- Hagerstown Speedway, 15112 National Pike (6 miles west of Hagerstown), ☎ . Weekends, Feb.-Oct.. "One of the East Coast's premier dirt tracks."
- Mason Dixon Dragway, 21344 National Pike Boonsboro, MD 21713 (9 miles southeast of Hagerstown), ☎ . "NHRA sanctioned, 1/4 mile, dragstrip located near Hagerstown."
Hagerstown has multiple lifestyle/power centers with big-box stores, plazas, and 2 major malls:
- [dead link]Premium Outlets Hagerstown, 495 Premium Outlets Blvd, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 10AM-7PM. The Premium Outlets Hagerstown is a large outdoor mall with over 100 stores.
- Valley Mall, 17301 Valley Mall Rd, ☎ . M-F 10AM-9PM, F-Sa 10AM-9:30PM, Su 11AM-6PM. The Valley Mall is one of two indoor malls in the Hagerstown Metropolitan area (the other is the Martinsburg Mall). There is close to 1 million square feet of retail space. The anchors are Macy's, The Bon-Ton, JCPenney, Sears, Regal Cinemas 16, Toys 'R' Us/Babies 'R' Us, Old Navy, Men's Wearhouse, and Shoe Dept. Encore.
Hagerstown dining includes international flavors as well as landmark American establishments. Many restaurants can be found downtown, on and around US 40, in the North End, and near the Valley Mall. Typical chain restaurants are also abound, particularly along US 40 and around the main retail areas.
- Alekos 2 Go, 511 Northern Ave (In North End.), ☎ . Greek and American cuisine. Drive-thru and pick-up services also available.
- Hagerstown Family Diner, 431 Dual Hwy (Adjoining the Best Western Grand Venice Hotel), ☎ . Very popular traditional American diner.
- Karu Peru, 1423 Dual Hwy (In Foxshire Plaza), ☎ . Peruvian and Latin American cuisine.
- Krumpe's Do-Nuts, 912 Maryland Ave (in the rear) (On 913 DoNut Alley), ☎ . Sun - Fri, 7pm - 2am, Closed Sat. A Hagerstown Tradition for over 75 years. Iconic Hagerstown doughnut shop that hosts the annual New Year's Krumpe's DoNut Drop in the Public Square and the Krumpe's Donut Alley Rally 5k.
- Pollo Loco, 18501 Maugans Ave Ste 102 (Close to Exit 9 off Interstate 81), ☎ . M-Th 11:30AM-1PM. Serves Peruvian and Latin American cuisine.
- Washington Chicken, 222 E. Oak Ridge Dr. Ste. 900 (In South End.), ☎ . Chicken-themed American restaurant. Pick-up services also available.
- Bulls & Bears Restaurant and Pub, 38 S. Potomac St (In the Arts and Entertainment District across from Maryland Theatre), ☎ . Sun-Thu 11AM-9PM, Fri-Sat 11AM-11PM. Bulls & Bears presents Downtown Hagerstown with a unique experience featuring American cuisine in a New York style atmosphere.
- Café del Sol, 1481 Salem Ave (Just off I-81 Exit 7A), ☎ . Serves Latin-American and Italian cuisine.
- Dolce, 792 Frederick Street (On US 40 Alternate near the Claude M. Potterfield Pool), ☎ . Serves Romanian, other Eastern European and Italian cuisine.
- El Paso, 12 E. Washington St (Located downtown.), ☎ . Serves Mexican cuisine.
- Fuji Chinese Cuisine & Sushi, Suite #205, 11205 John F. Kennedy Drive (In Rosewood Commons off Robinwood Drive.), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Serves authentic Chinese cuisine and sushi.
- Hempen Hill BBQ Bar & Catering, 13208 Fountain Head Plaza (In Hagerstown's North End off of US 11 (Pennsylvania Avenue).), ☎ . Popular American BBQ joint. Promotes its organic liquors, beers & wines, fresh veggies, "great" vegetarian dishes & meatless Monday dinner deals.
- House of Kobe, 757 Dual Hwy (Near Massey Boulevard.), ☎ , , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon - Fri Lunch: 11am - 3pm, Mon - Fri Dinner: 5pm - 10pm, Sat Dinner: 3pm - 10pm, Sun Dinner: 3pm - 9pm. Popular Japanese restaurant serving Hagerstown for 30 years. Moderate.
- Lanna Thai Restaurant, 1580 Wesel Blvd Ste K (Near The Valley Mall.), ☎ . Serves authentic Thai cuisine.
- Mango Grill, 11205 John F Kennedy Dr (In Rosewood Commons off Robinwood Drive.), ☎ . Serves Indian and Thai cuisine.
- Pho D'Lite Southeast Asian Kitchen, 67 Eastern Blvd N (Near the intersection of Eastern Blvd and Conrad Ct), ☎ . Serves Vietnamese and Thai cuisine.
- Rhubarb House, 12 Public Square (Downtown.), ☎ . American cuisine.
- Rik's Cafe, 1065 Maryland Ave (South End.), ☎ . American cuisine and bar.
- Sitar of India, 110 Railway Lane (Near Massey Boulevard and the Valley Mall.), ☎ . Serves North Indian cuisine.
- Taj Grill, 62 W Antietam St (Located downtown in the Dagmar Hotel.), ☎ . Serves Indian and Anglo-Indian cuisine.
- Thai Zap, 40 N Potomac St (Located downtown.), ☎ . Located downtown in the arts and entertainment district. Serves Thai cuisine.
- 28 South, 28 S. Potomac St. (In the arts and entertainment district downtown.), ☎ . Contemporary American cuisine. Combining Fresh Local Ingredients to Create a One-of-a-Kind Dining Experience.
- Aqua 103, 12916 Conamar Drive, Suite 103 (Off Leitersburg Pike in the Lyles Center.), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Monday - Friday 11AM - 11PM / Saturday 4:30PM - Midnight. New trendy, hip, and chic restaurant in Hagerstown's North End, serving "Progressive American" cuisine. Reservations recommended.
- Fireside Restaurant, 1718 Underpass Way (Off Halfway Blvd.), ☎ . Dining at the Plaza Hotel will be a memorable experience. Attached to the Ramada Plaza Hotel, the Fireside Restaurant offers a full menu of steaks, seafood, and other American specialties in an upscale surrounding. $$$.
- Gourmet Goat/GG's Restaurant & Martini Bar, 41 N. Potomac St (Downtown.), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon. 7AM-3PM; Tue. 7AM-6:30PM; Wed. & Thur. 7AM-9PM; Fri. 7AM-10PM, Sat. 9AM-10PM. Gourmet Deli/Coffee Shop, Catering Services, Fine Dining Restaurant, and Full Bar Specializing in Martinis.
- LJ's and the Kat Lounge, 1130 Conrad Ct (Off Eastern Blvd.), ☎ . Closed all day Sunday and Lunch Monday & Saturday, Lunch Tuesday - Friday 11:30AM – 2:30PM, Dinner Tuesday - Thursday 5PM – 9:30PM Friday & Saturday dinner 5PM – 10PM. Offering American cuisine using worldwide and local ingredients. Also known for its lounge. Attire: Smart and Reservations recommended for restaurant.
- Nick's Airport Inn, 14548 Pennsylvania Avenue (U.S. Route 11) (Located next to the Hagerstown Airport.), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Lunch Monday-Friday - 11AM - 2PM, Dinner Monday-Thursday 5PM-10PM, Dinner Friday & Saturday 5PM-10:30PM. Good atmosphere, great seafood, and fine dining. Reservations recommended.
- Sakura, 104 Railway Ln (near the Valley Plaza/Mall off I-81 Exit 5A), ☎ . Excellent sushi and hibachi served in a lively but elegant atmosphere.
- Schmankerl Stube, 58 S. Potomac St (Located in downtown Hagerstown), ☎ . Closed Mondays. Great Bavarian fare. Excellent selection of German beers on tap.
- Schulas Grill and Crab House, 11205 John F Kennedy Dr (In Rosewood Commons off Robinwood Drive.), ☎ . Award-winning seafood restaurant.
Most drinking establishments in Hagerstown are found in the downtown area, but some are located in suburban areas including and near strip shopping centers.
- Always Ron's, 29 N Burhans Blvd, ☎ . open 11AM daily, close M-Th-11PM Fri-Sat 1AM Sun-9PM. The largest selection of craft beers on tap in Washington County with a continuous rotation of beers, and crafted bottles and cans to go. Mixed drinks are also available.
- Bennys Pub, 49 Eastern Blvd N., ☎ . 11AM - 2AM M-S, Sunday close at Midnight. Best food in town, ice cold beer, Entertainment weekly. Nice, friendly atmosphere. Never a dull moment. You never feel like a stranger. $.
- The Corner Pub, 158 South Mulberry St. Has a casual, friendly Irish pub atmosphere and features an excellent selection of draft beers from regional craft brewers and an impressive bottled beer selection that includes intelligently selected Belgian, English, and German classics. The only place in Hagerstown that rivals the beer quality is the bar at Schmankerl Stube.
- Gourmet Goat/GG's Restaurant & Martini Bar, 41 N. Potomac St (Downtown.), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon. 7AM-3PM; Tue. 7AM-6:30PM; Wed. & Thur. 7AM-9PM; Fri. 7AM-10PM, Sat. 9AM-10PM. Full Bar Specializing in Martinis.
- LJ's and the Kat Lounge, 1130 Conrad Ct (Off Eastern Blvd.), ☎ . Tuesday - Friday 11:30AM – 12AM Saturday 5PM – 12AM.
- Zepheira Sports Bar and Hookah Lounge, 49 S Potomac St, ☎ . The best in American cuisine coupled with exquisite Mediterranean dishes. Finely crafted mixed drinks from wide selection of vodka, bourbon, whiskey, gin, scotch and a rotating stock of craft beer. Frozen drinks too including milkshakes to mudslides, and strawberry daiquiris to frozen margaritas. $$.
Most hotels and motels in Hagerstown are located in proximity to exits along Interstate 70 and 81. Others, including full-scale hotels, are clustered along US 40.
- Best Western Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center, 431 Dual Highway, ☎ . Full-service hotel with Cellar Wine and Spirits and Hagerstown Family Diner.
- Clarion Hotel and Conference Center Antietam Creek, 901 Dual Highway, ☎ . The largest full-service conference center in the area. HagerHall Conference & Event Center, Cancun Cantina nightclub, and Barefoot Bernie's restaurant adjoin hotel.
- Comfort Inn and Suites, 920 Dual Highway (next to Valley Mall.), ☎ , fax: .
- Comfort Suites, 1801 Dual Highway (next to Valley Mall.), ☎ , fax: .
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, 17612 Valley Mall Rd (next to Valley Mall.), toll-free: , fax: .
- Courtyard By Marriott, 17270 Valley Mall Rd. (Next to Valley Mall.), ☎ .
- Days Inn, 1101 Dual Highway, ☎ . Newly renovated.
- Hampton Inn - Hagerstown, 1716 Dual Highway (Near Exit 32B off Interstate 70 in the SE part of town.), ☎ , fax: .
- Hampton Inn - Hagerstown-I-81, 18300 Peak Circle (Near Exit 9 off Interstate 81 and the airport.), ☎ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, 241 Railway Lane (Near Valley Mall shopping area.), toll-free: .
- Homewood Suites by Hilton, 1650 Pullman Lane (Near Valley Mall shopping area.), ☎ .
- Microtel Inn & Suites, 13726 Oliver Dr, ☎ .
- Ramada Plaza Hotel (Previously the Plaza Hotel), 1718 Underpass Way (near Halfway Blvd.), ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Offers Wyndham Rewards, Full Service 6-story hotel with an oversized indoor pool, Fireside Restaurant & Lounge. On-site Laundry Facilities.
- Rodeway Inn, 901-A Dual Highway (Adjacent to the Clarion Hotel.), ☎ , toll-free: . Check-in: 03:00 pm, check-out: 11:00 am. Adjacent to Clarion Hotel, Cancun Cantina nightclub, Barefoot Bernie's restaurant and bar, and Hager Hall convention center. $55-60.
- Sleep Inn & Suites Hagerstown, 18216 Col Henry K Douglas Dr., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Offering complimentary breakfast and hi-speed wireless internet. Indoor pool, fitness room and more.
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott, 17270 Valley Mall Rd. (Next to Valley Mall.), ☎ , fax: .
- Super 8 - Hagerstown, 1220 Dual Hwy, ☎ , fax: .
- Super 8, I-81, Halfway Hagerstown, 16805 Blake Road (Near Exit 5B off Interstate 81.), ☎ , fax: .
- Whitetail Resort has alpine skiing on 16 trails, just across the state line in nearby Mercersburg in southern Pennsylvania.
- You could drive from Hagerstown to Antietam National Battlefield, Fort Frederick State Park, or the Chesapeake & Ohio (C & O) Canal National Historical Park.
- The Appalachian Trail offers walking paths and breathtaking scenery from atop South Mountain.
- If you want more scenery you could cross the Potomac River into West Virginia or tour nearby smaller towns like Sharpsburg, Boonsboro, or Smithsburg.
- Neighboring cities include Frederick and Cumberland in Maryland, Martinsburg in West Virginia, and Chambersburg in Pennsylvania.
- Nearby big cities Washington, D.C. and Baltimore are good day-trips from Hagerstown. In fact, many tourists to those cities stay the night in Hagerstown for cheaper lodging rates and to add a few local historic and retail spots to their itinerary.
|Routes through Hagerstown|
|Washington, PA ← Hancock ←||W E||→ Frederick → Baltimore|
|Harrisburg ← Chambersburg ←||N S||→ Martinsburg → Roanoke|
|Cumberland ← Hancock ←||W E||→ Frederick → Baltimore|
|Harrisburg ← Chambersburg ←||N S||→ Martinsburg → Roanoke|