- Do not confuse with the Faroe Islands in the North Atlantic.
Fårö is an island just north of Gotland. It is one of Sweden's more secluded holiday resorts; being an island off an island, 20 kilometres across, with 500 permanent citizens.
Ö is Swedish for "island", and while får is the mainland Swedish word for "sheep" (of which the island has plenty), the word is not used in the local dialect, and not behind the island's name. The name probably stems from the Norse word far ("sea lane").
Fårö has world fame through Swedish film director Ingmar Bergman, who had many of his films recorded on the islands, including two documentaries. He now rests in the island church's cemetery. Another famous summer guest was Prime Minister Olof Palme.
The free-to-use car ferry from Fårösund is the main entrance to Fårö. The trip take some 7 minutes, and ferries depart every half hour 24 hours daily. However, the night time departures, from 22:00 to 05:00, must be pre-booked. You can pre-book the ferry by calling +46 771-65 65 65 at least 10 minutes before departure (I.e. before 21:50 for the 22:00 departure and before 22:20 for the 22:30 departure etc). Additional ferry departures are added during the main tourist season in June, July and August.
There are buses from Visby to Fårösund.
- See also: Boating on the Baltic Sea
The relevant charts are nr 73 or 62/INT1204 (coast: "Gotland North–Landsort") and 731 (archipelago: "Gotland, North"; with Fårösund in large scale). No small craft chart series are available for Gotland.
There are moorings in two marinas in Fårösund (by the ferry) and at a fishing harbour at western Fårö. Fårösund has sights and services, including bus, fuel and bike rental. The Lauterhorn fishing harbour is by the Digerhuvud nature reserve, with many rauks.
- Fårösund marina, Strandvägen 7 (by the ferry), ☏ . 08:00–18:00. Open until 31.8, later only pre-booked boats. 300 kr, electricity included.
- Fårösund yacht club (800 m south from the ferry), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Marina of the local yachting club. Open middle June to middle August. 150 kr, electricity 20 kr.
- Lauterhorn fishing harbour (western Fårö), ☏ . 150 (buoy) or 300 kr, electricity 30 kr.
Driving or cycling.
The sceneries. Fårö has many rauks; free-standing rocks on the shoreline.
- 1 Bergmancenter, Fårö Svens 1118, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. May and first weeks of Sep: Th–Su 12:00–16:00. Jun–Aug: daily 10:00–14:00. A musum and activity centre revolving around the life and work of the famous Swedish director Ingmar Bergman, who spent many summers on Fårö. Every year during the end of June or beginning of July they organize the "Bergman Week" on Fårö, with plenty of screenings, performances and lectures related to Bergman.
- 2 Fårö Church (Fårö kyrka). A church built during the 14th century, and gradually expanded. Ingmar Bergman's grave is in the cemetery.
- 3 Ullahau. A nature reserve.
- 4 Bjärge rauk field. The largest rauk field on Gotland.
- 5 Gamle hamn rauk field. Also contains a viking era burial field.
- 6 Langhammars rauk field.
- Fårö Islandshästar (at Stora Gåsemora from April to December and Nors from January to March), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Go riding on icelandic horses! 650 kr for 2 hours, 850 kr for 3 hours, 1300 for a full day and 4900 kr for a 3-day tour.
- 1 Sudersand beach (on the southern shore of Fårö). A sand beach.
- 2 Sudersandsbiografen (Sudersandsbion), Fårö Sudersand 5609, ✉ email@example.com. Screenings 8PM su, mo, we, th, fr. Children's screenings 4PM su & we. Occasianal midnight screenings 11PM fr. Open from start of July until mid August. A 60 year old cinema once frequented by the famous Swedish director Ingmar Bergman. Adults SEK 120, Children SEK 100.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Fårölamm, Fårö Lansa 1066, 624 66 Fårö, ☏ . F-Sa 12:00-17:00. Breeds Gotland sheep that roam the island. Sells meat and other products related to Gotland sheep.
- 1 Albatross, Fårö Friggars 1119, ☏ .
- 2 Carlssons Restaurang & Vedugnspizza, Fårö Sundersand 5625, ☏ . 12.00-16:00, 17:00-22:00 daily. A pizzeria
- 3 Crêperie Tati, Fårö Broskogs 1156, ☏ . A lunch restaurant
- 4 Ebbas Mat och Kaffe, Fårö Sudergarda, ☏ . May & Sep 11:00-16:00, Jun & Aug 10:00–18:00, Jul 10:00–19:00.
- 5 Restaurang Fårögården, Fårö Simunds 3866, ☏ . Open during summer. Brew their own beer
- 6 Sudersannas Grill & Bar (On Sunderstand beach).
- 7 [formerly dead link] Vinor Krog, Fårö Sudergarda 5653, ☏ . Open during summer. Pizza and a la carte
Nightlife is very seasonal.
There are several holiday cabins for rent.
- 1 Fårögården Bed & Breakfast, Fårö Simunds 3864, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A hostel and bed and breakfast in a 19th century lime stone house.
- 2 Slow Train Bed & Breakfast, Fårö Friggars 1119, ☏ . A 1890s estate turned guesthouse.
- 3 [dead link] Solhaga Camping, Öde Hoburga, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A summer open camping site.
- 4 Stora Gåsemora Gård, Fårö Stora Gasmora 4200. An estate turned guest house with houses dating to the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.
- 5 Sundersand Resort, Fårö Sundersand 5650, ☏ . Offer several different types of accommodation, including hotel and hostel rooms; cabins and seaside villas; and a camping area for tents and motorhomes.
Crime is not an issue. The rocky beaches can be slippery. There are no emergency vehicles on the island; they need to get the boat.
- Northern Gotland
- Gotska Sandön, arguably the most isolated island of its size in the Baltic Sea. Ferry from Fårösund Wed, Fri Sun late May to early September.
- If you have a yacht, you can sail to the Archipelago Sea in Finland, for lots of islands and tiny archipelago communities to discover.
- Another yacht destination is Estonia, with Hiiumaa a day's worth of sailing away (or so it was for the ships of yore, giving it the Swedish name Dagö).