One of the main attractions is the Bio-Luminescent Bay. A 1.5 hour tour, you will kayak in through a Mangrove forest at night to the bay, where luminescent plankton glow bright blue every time the water is disturbed. Most tours cost $45, and combo packages with tours of El Yunque Rainforest are available and quite a good full-day trip.
Depending on traffic, it's about a 45 minute drive from the airport in San Juan to get to Fajardo.
By Public Transport
El Conquistador Resort runs a bus to and from Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport for $74.00 per adult and $54.00 per child 12 years old and under, roundtrip.
- Faro de Fajardo, Route 987, 860-2560. Featuring a nature center and working 19th century lighthouse.
- Las Cabezas de San Juan State Park, 722-5882, 860-2560, fax 722-5872. Trails and boardwalks traversing mangrove forests, rocky coast, and dry forest.
- Watch your step in the neighborhoods around the ferry terminal, there is an iguana infestation and many dead three foot long lizards litter the streets. The locals just step over them as if it's no big deal.
- Icaco, Palomino and other offshore islands of Puerto Rico.
- Old San Juan. Visit the oldest fort in North America. El Morro Fort is cropped on the rocky and high coastline of San Juan. You can walk through the fort and learn about its rich history. Also included in this historic tour is La Fortaleza, Parque Las Palomas, Paseo La Princesa, all interesting and significant historical monuments of our past.
- El Yunque National Forest. El Yunque Caribbean National Forest is the only tropical rainforest in the US National Forest System. El Yunque occupies 28,000 acres and it is more than 3,500 feet above sea level. The annual rainfall is extremely heavy. It receives more than 100 billion gallons per year.
- Puerto Rico Beaches. For swimming or sun-bathing in Puerto Rico, you will not have to go far. Puerto Rico is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
- Culebra. Located about 25 miles off the east coast of Puerto Rico. One thing that must be visited is Flamenco Beach. The beach is about a mile long and rarely crowded. Here you will find great areas to go snorkeling and look at the coral. There are several other beaches in Culebra including, Brava, Resaca and Soni Beach, all of which are great for diving and snorkeling.
Tours to bioluminescent bay
Quite a number of companies offer kayaking tours. Using a kayak is the only way to enter some hard-to-access places, such as the tunnels and channels of the mangroves. You can enjoy a spectacular ecological reserve surrounded by mangroves, coral reefs and most importantly, a breathtaking bay that will make you sparkle with every paddle.
Snorkeling is also popular locally. It is a great sport that does not require expensive equipment. Visiting the local beaches is an excellent way to see some underwater sights.
- Enchanted Island Eco Tours (Nilsa Montanez), Laguna Grande Road 987 (Las Croabas, Fajardo P.R.), ☎ . Monday to Saturday 9AM to 6PM. Sunset to Bioluminescent Bay kayak adventure. Fully guided eco tours with interpretation of natural the area. Tour includes double occupancy kayaks, safety lights, lifejackets, botanical based insect repellent, safety orientation, pre-ride instructions, the only outfitter supplying two full hours of tour, assorted snacks and cold bottled water. They can also arrange transportation and do El Yunque tours as well.
- Kayaking Puerto Rico, ☎ . Evening kayak tour to bioluminescent bay for $45 per person.
- Site Seeing Tour Excursions, 52 Parcelas Beltran Puerto Real, ☎ . Snorkeling in Culebra, horseback riding tour, kayaking tour in the bioluminescent bay, Old San Juan tour, etc.
- Tatiana Sepulveda (East Island Excursions), Marina Puerto Del Rey, ☎ . Snorkeling trips, sunset sail trips and Bio Bay excursions. starting at $69+.
- Yokahu Kayak Trips, Route 987, ☎ . Evening kayak tour to bioluminescent bay.
- Caribe Sailing Adventures (Marina Puerto Del Rey), ☎ . Sailing charters.
- El Conquistador Casino, El Conquistador Ave, ☎ , fax: .
- El Conquistador Golf Course, 1000 Conquistador Ave, ☎ , . Open daily 6:30AM - 7:30PM. Green fees, $75 including cart.
- A La Banda Waterfront Restaurant, Puerto del Ray Marina, Hwy 3, 860-9162. Seafood. Open daily for lunch and dinner.
- El Varadero Seaside Grill, Marina Puerto Chico, PR Road 987, 787-860-2662. Seafood, Waterfront, Puerto Rican Cuisine.
- Ole Le Lo Lai, Tapas Spanish & Puerto Rican Fusion Cuisine, PR Road 987. Ocean View
- Fontanella, Route 987, 860-4260. Italian.
- Pasión por el Fogón, Route 987, Km 2.3. Seafood, steak, and Puerto Rican cuisine.
- Rosa's Seafood, 536 Tablado, Puerto Real, +1 787-863-0213.
- El Conquistador Resort, The Waldorf Astoria Collection, 1000 El Conquistador Avenue, ☎ . As these are all on a difficult-to-leave campus they are very expensive. Expect to pay >$20 for lunch entree, >$30 for dinner entrees, and $7 for a can of Medalla Light which runs $1.50 at most grocery stores.
- Bally Hoo Bar & Grill. American.
- Blossoms. Chinese and Japanese.
- Las Brisas Terrace, 863-6565. American breakfast.
- Cantina de las Olas. Mexican.
- Ciao Mediterranean Cafe.
- Isabella's Grill. Seafood and steak.
- Sting Ray Cafe. International.
- Otello's. Italian.
Mojitos, Bushwalker, Pinas Coladas
- Las Casitas Village & Golden Door Spa, The Waldorf Astoria Collection.
- El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door Spa. Highly over-priced (min $200/night after the added fees), this resort-style accommodation is so far removed from anything else that you are forced to eat on site or drive for a relatively far distance. The service from the staff can be bad at times, and a overwhelming aura of apathy exudes from many there, especially at the front desk. Check in/out is horrifically slow, especially if you feel the need to actually debate the random charges appearing on your bill that shouldn't be there. There are many other options in the area with equally nice views at a more realistic price.
- Anchor's Inn, Route 987, +1 787-863-7200, +1 787-860-6934, fax +1 787-863-1596. Quaint 13 room inn located on a bluff. $55 - $65 per night.
- Coqui Villa, +1 787-889-2098. 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom casita with full kitchen. $750 - $800 per week.
- Fajardo Inn, ☎ , fax: . 107 rooms, many with great views. $90 - $250 per night.
- Scenic Inn, ☎ , fax: . Around $60 per night.
- Passion Fruit Bed & Breakfast, PO Box 1161 Fajardo 00738-1161, toll-free: , fax: . Around $100-$130 per night.
- Coqui Water Park- El Conquistador Water Park
- Culebra - Take the ferry and in less than an hour you will be in the small island of Culebra. Culebra was an island once used by the US Navy for military training and you can still see abandoned tanks and bombs in the beaches. Culebra is famous for having the best beach in the Caribbean, Playa Flamenco, called Puerto Rico's best attraction by the Travel Channel.
- Vieques - Take the ferry from Fajardo to the island of Vieques