Fenwick Island is a beach town in Sussex County, Delaware located north of Ocean City, Maryland, just over the Delaware border. The town is part of Delaware's beach resort area. Like Ocean City, it sits on a barrier island between the Atlantic Ocean and Assawoman Bays.
From northern Delaware, follow Delaware Route 1 south to Milford and take the exit to U.S. Route 113 south. Follow U.S. Route 113 south and turn left onto Delaware Route 54 east in Selbyville. Delaware Route 54 heads into Fenwick Island. While you may use Delaware Route 1 south all the way to Fenwick Island, there is a lot of traffic lights and congestion in the Rehoboth Beach area, and therefore using U.S. Route 113 bypasses a lot of the congestion.
From the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area, follow U.S. Route 50 east and turn left onto Maryland Route 404 east in Wye Mills. Continue along Maryland Route 404 east to the Delaware border, where the road becomes Delaware Route 404. Follow Delaware Route 404 east to Georgetown and turn right onto U.S. Route 113 south. Follow U.S. Route 113 south and turn left onto Delaware Route 54 east in Selbyville. Delaware Route 54 heads into Fenwick Island.
Between May 15 and September 15 from 9AM to 4PM, parking permits are required on all streets in Fenwick Island. Parking permits may be purchased from the Public Safety Building and are not sold in advance or by mail. Visitors may purchase a yellow parking permit which enables them to park on side streets. When parking, the permit should be hung on the rear-view mirror. Permits cost $10 for a daily permit, $60 for a weekly permit, $150 for a monthly permit, and $350 for a seasonal permit for the whole summer. It costs $75 to replace a lost permit. Parking at beach ends east of Bunting Avenue is only available for holders of blue parking permits, which are only sold to people who own property in Fenwick Island; violators will be ticketed.
- 1 Fenwick Island Lighthouse, 103 146th St. May-Jun: Sa-Su 9AM-noon Jul-Aug: F-Su 9AM-noon Sep: Sa-Su 9AM-noon. Lighthouse completed in 1859 that is home to a museum and gift shop.
- DiscoverSea Shipwreck Museum, 708 Ocean Highway, ☎ , toll-free: . Jun-Aug: daily 11AM-8PM; Sept: daily 11AM-3:30PM; Oct-Dec Sa Su 11AM-3:30PM; Jan-Mar: closed; Apr May Sa Su 11AM-3:30PM. Its collection of shipwreck and recovered artifacts is one of the largest in the Mid-Atlantic and contains shipwreck regional and worldwide artifacts. It houses about 10,000 artifacts at all times, while the other 80% are rotated throughout museum exhibits around the world.
- 1 Fenwick Island State Park, ☎ . Three-mile stretch of barrier island along Delaware's Atlantic coast. 344 acres of peaceful ocean and bay shoreline. The white sand beaches gradually slope into the Atlantic, creating a broad swimming area. Lifeguards patrol the swimming beach daily from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, 9AM to 5PM. The modern bathhouse offers showers and changing rooms, a gift shop, and a snack food concession. During the summer months, umbrellas, chairs, and rafts may be rented on the beach. Surfers can catch the big waves at Fenwick Island, as the park has one of the few beaches in Delaware with a designated surfing area. The ocean beaches are also a favorite spot for surf fishing. Three dune crossings provide fishing access for vehicles with the proper permit to drive onto the beach. Surf fishing vehicle permits may be purchased at the bathhouse gift shop during the summer, or at the nearby park office at Delaware Seashore State Park. $5/day for a vehicle registered in Delaware, $10/day for other vehicles.
- Viking Amusements and Thunder Lagoon Waterpark, 38960 Virginia Avenue, Rt 1 & Rt 54, ☎ . 18-hole miniature golf courses, a go-kart track, Thunder Lagoon Waterpark, and various concessions in its little Viking Village and Boardwalk, including pizza, burgers, beach fries, funnel cakes and ice cream. Waterpark 2 hours/4 hours: adults $25/$20, children under 42″ $10/$13, seniors 55+ $15/$18.
- 1 The Bookend Cafe, 300 Coastal Highway, ☎ . Books, specialty coffee, unique gifts, and free wifi.
- 2 Sea Shell City, 708 Coastal Hwy, toll-free: . Since 1978.
- Harpoon Hanna's, ☎ . open until 1AM. Rated in the Top 100 Independent Restaurant & Bars in the US by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine. $10-$30.
- 1 Just Hooked, 1500 Coastal Hwy, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Su-Th 11:30AM-9PM; F Sa 11:30AM-10PM. Seafood, steak, chicken. Lunch $11-26, dinner mains $21-34.
- Sands Motel, 1501 Ocean Highway, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Individual rooms with one queen or king bed, efficiency units with two doubles or one bedroom apartments with two double beds and efficiency kitchen. A large outdoor pool on site, free Wi-fi, and daily maid service provided. From $47.
- 1 Fenwick Islander Motel, 500 South Carolina Ave. 63 Efficency units with color cable TV, Wifi, kitchen & baths, all rooms have air conditioning, refrigerator or range and a microwave oven, swimming pool, private balconies, daily maid service, rooms and ramps for people with disabilities. $50-200.
|Routes through Fenwick Island|
|Lewes ← Bethany Beach ←||N S||→ becomes → Ocean City → END|