Salisbury is the largest city on the Eastern Shore (Maryland), best known for its eponymous university .
U.S. Route 13 is the main north-south route serving Salisbury, providing access from Dover, Wilmington, and Philadelphia to the north and from Norfolk to the south via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. U.S. Route 50 is the main east-west route serving Salisbury, providing access from Ocean City to the east and from Baltimore and Washington, D.C. to the west via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
Salisbury is about a 2 hour drive from the Baltimore (BWI IATA) airport or about 3 hours from Washington Dulles Airport (IAD IATA). It is a pretty drive that passes over the Chesapeake Bay on the Bay Bridge. There is also a small airport in Salisbury (SBY IATA), which is serviced by American Airlines with nonstop flights to Philadelphia and Charlotte.
- 1 Salisbury MD Zoo, 755 South Park Drive, ☏ . Daily except Thanksgiving and Christmas. Free.
- 2 Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art, 909 South Schumaker Dr., ☏ . Daily except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. Houses the world's largest collection of wildfowl carvings.
- 3 Poplar Hill Mansion, 117 Elizabeth St., ☏ . Su 1PM-4PM, other times by appt.. Free on Sundays, other times $5/ person.
SU is well known for the success of its athletic programs, amassing 19 national championships in team sports and 24 individual national championships in track and field and wrestling.
Regents Cup and the War on the Shore
When school is in session (and in addition to regular-season and tournament play) Salisbury University's Sea Gulls compete twice a year against other local universities. In the fall, the football team competes against Frostburg State University for the Regents Cup.In spring, the men's lacrosse team competes against Washington College for the Charles B. Clark Cup; this annual event being known among the two institutions as the "War on the Shore", and the two schools take turns every year hosting the event.
- 1 The Centre at Salisbury, 2300 N Salisbury Blvd, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 11AM-6PM. The only regional mall on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, The Centre at Salisbury is anchored by Macy's, Boscov's, and Dick's Sporting Goods and has over 85 stores, a food court, and a 16-screen Regal Cinemas.
- The Country Store on Main Street is huge and advertises itself as the Largest Country Store in the East. Huge array of Vera Bradley bags and accessories.
- Market Street Inn, 130 West Market St, ☏ . Excellent food including seafood and steaks; the Portuguese Bishop Rolls served with a variety of oils and vinegars are not to be missed; good wine list. Moderate to expensive.
- Best Western, 1735 N Salisbury Boulevard, ☏ .
- Courtyard Marriott, 128 Troopers Way, ☏ . Located off the Route 13 bypass, convenient to many shopping and dining choices.
- Ramada Inn and Conference Center, 300 S. Salisbury Blvd, ☏ .
Salisbury is a quick 40 minute drive to the Atlantic Coast. Ocean City is a popular nearby destination.
|Routes through Salisbury|
|Dover ← Laurel ←||N S||→ Princess Anne → Norfolk|
|Annapolis ← Cambridge ←||W E||→ Ocean City → END|