Dover is the capital of Delaware. It is in the central part of the state in Kent County, approximately midway between Wilmington and Rehoboth Beach. Dover is home to several historic sites and recreational areas are nearby.
As the state capital, the state government is a major employer in Dover and there are many government offices in the area. Dover is also home to Dover Air Force Base, in the southeastern part of the city. Dover Air Force Base is home to the 436th Airlift Wing of the Air Mobility Command and the 512th Airlift Wing of the Air Force Reserve Command and contains the largest military mortuary in the United States. As such, there is a sizable military presence in the city. To the west of Dover are rural areas that are home to several Amish families and businesses. To the east of Dover is the Delaware Bay, which is home to marshland and wildlife areas. The city is home to Dover Downs, a hotel and casino that has a harness racetrack located inside Dover International Speeedway, a 1-mile-long racetrack that is home to two NASCAR race weekends a year which attract tens of thousands of race fans to the city. Dover International Speedway is also home to the Firefly Music Festival, a 4-day music festival which attracts a large number of visitors to the city.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Dover has a humid subtropical climate with four seasons. Summers are hot and humid, with highs averaging in the 80s and lows averaging in the 60s F. Summer temperatures occasionally rise to the 90s or 100s F. Winters are cool to cold, with highs averaging in the low 40s and lows averaging in the upper 20s F. Winter temperatures can occasionally drop down to 0 degrees or lower. Spring and fall can be variable, usually with milder weather. Dover averages 46.05 inches of precipitation a year, which is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year. The area sees an average of 15.7 inches of snow in the winter months, with snowfall usually light and not remaining on the ground for long, though heavier snowfalls occasionally happen. In the warmer months, the area does experience thunderstorms, some of which can be severe. Dover is prone to tropical storms and hurricanes from the Atlantic basin in the late summer and early fall, but typically only receives the remnants of such storms as they typically weaken by the time they reach this latitude.
The main north-south arteries for Dover are DE 1 and US 13. DE 1 heads north as a toll road providing access from points north such as Wilmington and Philadelphia and south as a surface road providing access from the Delaware Beaches and Ocean City, Maryland. US 13 is a surface road that heads north parallel to DE 1, offering a slower alternate from points north that does not have tolls, and south providing access from points south such as Salisbury, Maryland and Norfolk, Virginia. There is also east-west DE 8 that can be used as a main access point to US 50 and the Bay Bridge from points west such as Baltimore and Washington, D.C. From the Bay Bridge, follow US 50 east to US 301 north. Turn onto MD 302 east and follow that route to Templeville. In this town, turn onto MD 454 south. Follow MD 454 south to Marydel, crossing into Delaware and continuing along DE 8 east to Dover.
Dover has the Dover Air Force base that is a major outlet for most US Air Force planes that are leaving crossing the ocean. The nearest airports with commercial air service are the Philadelphia International Airport (PHL IATA), Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI IATA), and the Salisbury-Ocean City-Wicomico Regional Airport (SBY IATA). Car rental services are available at all three of these airports.
The nearest train station is in Wilmington, which is served by Amtrak trains running along the Northeast Corridor along with some long-distance trains as well as SEPTA Regional Rail commuter trains from Philadelphia. From this station, you can rent a car or get a DART First State or Greyhound bus to Dover.
DART First State operates inter-county buses that connect Dover from Wilmington via Route 301, Newark via Route 302, and Georgetown via Route 303. Greyhound Lines provides intercity bus serve to Dover, stopping at the 7-Eleven at 654 North Dupont Highway.
Since Dover is not an extremely busy city, driving a car is practical for getting around most of the city. In the downtown area, there is free on-street two-hour parking. The time limit is only enforced Monday-Friday. Off-street parking is also available in the downtown area, consisting mostly of permit and metered parking. Parking permits in Dover cost $3 daily, $22 monthly, and $240 annually. Parking permits may be purchased from the City of Dover Customer Service office at 15 Loockerman Way. Parking meters cost $0.25 per hour and $1 for the whole day. Parking fees are in effect from 7AM to 5PM Monday-Friday, with parking free on evenings and weekends. There are five parking lots that serve downtown Dover. The Bradford Street Lot has 111 spaces, with 72 permit spaces, 22 metered spaces, 10 free two-hour spaces, one free 15-minute space, and 5 free handicapped spaces. The North Street Lot has 183 spaces, with 166 permit spaces, 12 spaces reserved for apartments (do not park here), and 5 free handicapped spaces. The Minor Street Lot has 8 permit spaces. The Loockerman Way Lot has 35 spaces, with 33 permit spaces and 2 free handicapped spaces. The Governors Avenue Lot has 103 spaces, with 42 permit spaces, 10 free two-hour spaces, 49 spaces reserved for tenants (do not park here), and 2 free handicapped spaces. A map of downtown parking lots is available here.
There is also the DART First State Bus transit system that has many stops around town. Buses primarily operate Monday through Friday with some routes operating on Saturday. Most bus routes operate from the Dover Transit Center on Water Street in the downtown area. Fares for DART First State buses are $2.00 per ride and transfers are not issued. Reduced fares for senior citizens or persons with disabilities cost $0.80 per ride while blind persons and children 46 inches in height or under who are accompanied by a fare-paying rider can ride for free. A Daily Pass may be purchased for $4.20, offering unlimited rides for the day. Riders who use more than two buses in a single day are encouraged to purchase a Daily Pass. A stored-value card called DARTCard may be used to pay per ride or to purchase a Daily Pass, offering discounts to riders. The DARTCard comes in seven denominations, with the Gold card costing $9.60 for a $12.00 value, the Blue card costing $12.00 for a $16.10 value, the Yellow card costing $15.00 for a $21.00 value, the Green card costing $30.00 for a $43.20 value, the Purple card costing $35.00 for a $52.90 value, the Platinum card costing $65.00 for a $108.00 value, and the reduced fare Red card costing $14.00 for a $46.00 value.
There are also taxis available, although they do not generally ride around town looking for fares so it would be best to call the dispatch to send one. These are some of the cab companies in the Dover area:
- [dead link] City Cab Taxi, ☏ .
- George's Transportation Service, ☏ . George's Transportation Service is a van service that provides transport for up to six people plus luggage.
Dover is home to many attractions including
- 1 Air Mobility Command Museum, 1301 Heritage Rd, Dover AFB (the museum has its own entrance gate on Rte 9. Just use exit 91 on Rte 1), ☏ . Tu-Su 9AM-4PM. The museum is on the Dover Air Force Base. It is one of the only museums that is dedicated to airlift and air refueling. Free parking and admission.
- 2 Biggs Museum of American Art, 406 Federal St, ☏ . Tu–Sa 9AM–4:30PM, Su 1:30–4:30PM. Museum housing a collection of American fine and decorative art, including furniture, paintings, silver, glass, ceramics, and textiles, 1700 to the present day. $10, $8 seniors, children and veterans free.
- Delaware Agricultural Museum and Village, 866 N DuPont Hwy, ☏ , fax: . Tu-Sa 10AM-3PM. The agricultural museum, in a historic village set in the 1890s, is dedicated to helping kids remember where we came from. They offer tours for big or small groups. $7, $6 military, $5 seniors and students, $3 children 4-17, children under 4 free.
- Delaware Public Archives, 121 MLK Jr Blvd N, ☏ . M-F 8:30AM-4PM, 1st Sa of month 1PM-4PM. Public archives allowing for the viewing of historic collections and exhibits.
- Delaware State Police Museum, 1425 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . M-F 9AM-3PM, 3rd Sa of month 11AM-2:45PM. Museum showcasing the history of the Delaware State Police from 1920, featuring several exhibits.
- 3 First State Heritage Park, 102 S State St, ☏ . An urban "park without boundaries," First State Heritage Park contains several historic sites in Dover including the Old State House, the Biggs Museum of American Art, and Legislative Hall. Special tours available on the first Saturday of each month.
- The Green, 25 The Green, ☏ . Public square that was laid out in 1717 and was the site of where Delaware became the first state to ratify the U.S. Constitution. Guided tours available.
- 4 John Dickinson Plantation, 340 Kitts Hummock Rd, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-4:30PM. The plantation house dating back to 1740 served as the home of American Revolution leader John Dickinson and recreates life in the 1700s. Free admission, donations accepted.
- Johnson Victorla Museum, 375 S New St, ☏ . W-Sa 9AM-4:30PM. Museum documenting Eldridge Reeves Johnson, the founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company, featuring paintings, objects, memorabilia, and trademarks that highlight the development of the sound recording industry. Free admission, donations accepted.
- 5 Legislative Hall, 411 Legislative Ave, ☏ . M-F 8AM-4:30PM. The state capitol building of Delaware and home to the Delaware General Assembly, tours of the building are offered.
- 6 Old State House Museum, 25 The Green, ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-4:30PM, Su 1:30PM-4:30PM. Located on The Green, the Old State House was built from 1787 to 1792 and served as the seat of the state government from 1792 to 1932. Guided tours are available. Free admission, donations accepted.
- St. Jones Reserve, 818 Kitts Hummock Rd, ☏ . Trails: Dawn to dusk daily; Visitor center: M-F 8AM-4:30PM. Nature reserve along the St. Jones River with hiking trails, interactive activities, and exhibits.
- 7 Woodburn - The Governor's House, 151 Kings Hwy E, ☏ . M-F 8:30AM-4PM by appointment. A Middle Georgian house dating back to 1790, Woodburn has been the official residence of the Governor of Delaware since the state acquired the house in 1965. Tours are offered with 24-hour advance notice. Free admission.
- 1 Dover Downs Hotel & Casino, 1131 N Dupont Hwy, toll-free: . The Dover Downs complex consists of a hotel, casino, and a harness racetrack. The hotel offers upscale accommodations with a full-service spa, indoor pool, fitness room, room service, and concierge. Rooms offer either a view of the racetrack or the city and have many amenities including pillow-top bedding, safe, free internet and voicemail, refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, make-up mirror, and an iron and ironing board. Rooms are ADA compliant. The Dover Downs casino offers various games including over 2,300 slots, table games such as baccarat, roulette, and blackjack, and an 18-table poker room. The racetrack offers live harness racing from November to April along with simulcasts of races from other tracks year-round. The Race & Sports Book offers sports betting on horse racing along with professional and college sports. Dover Downs offers dining options including Michele's, Pearl Oyster Grill, Frankie's, The Festival Buffet, Garden Cafe, gr8 Burgers & Shakes, Sweet Perks, Sweet Perks Too, and Winner's Circle Restaurant. Bars and clubs at Dover Downs include Fire & Ice, Race & Sports Book, Lobby Bar, The Gazebo Bar, and The Terrace Bar. Dover Downs offers entertainment options ranging from comedians to singers. The Colonnade offers upscale shopping options including Fashions of the Colonnade, Godiva, Swarovski, The Colonnade Marketplace, and Sweet Perks Too.
- 2 Dover International Speedway, 1131 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ , toll-free: . Twice a year the "Monster Mile" hosts a NASCAR race, once in the late spring and once in the late summer. The spring race weekend features the NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series race on Friday, the NASCAR Xfinity Series race on Saturday, and the NASCAR Cup Series race on Sunday. The summer race weekend features the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race on Friday, the NASCAR Xfinity Series race on Saturday, and the NASCAR Cup Series race on Sunday. Aside from the racing activity on the track, Dover International Speedway features a FanZone that offers a number of activities, live music, and driver appearances. The FanZone is centered around the Monster Monument in Victory Plaza, a statue of the track's mascot Miles the Monster. Dover International Speedway offers both standard RV and tent camping along with Carefree Camping, where campers are provided with a tent that has a bed with linens, chairs, a table, and a rug. Additional RV and tent camping is available off premises.
- Firefly Music Festival, 1131 N Dupont Hwy (The Woodlands at Dover International Speedway). Four-day open-air music festival held in the middle of June at The Woodlands at Dover International Speedway, attracting nationally known music acts. The festival includes seven stages and offers outdoor camping.
- Kent County Theatre Guild, 140 E Roosevelt Ave, ☏ . A local theater which offers shows throughout the year.
- 3 Killens Pond Water Park. - in Felton, 10 miles south of the Dover on US 13.
Delaware does not have a state sales tax.
- Bel Boutique, 28 W Loockerman St, ☏ . Boutique in downtown Dover offering unique and stylish clothing, accessories, and gift items.
- Byler's Store, 1368 Rose Valley School Rd, ☏ . Country store offering hard-to-find foods and gifts that is popular among the locals.
- 1 Dover Mall, 1365 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 11AM-6PM. The Dover Mall has more than 80 stores, including Macy's, Boscov's, and JCPenney department stores, Old Navy, Dick's Sporting Goods, a movie theater (AMC Theatres), and a food court.
- For Dreamers Gallery, 743 S Governor's Ave, ☏ . For Dreamers Gallery is a small boutique that offers different kinds of art that would look at home in many home collections. The shop offers styles in pottery, glass, and wood.
- Forney's Too!, 102 W Loockerman St, ☏ . Forney's Too is a family-owned store that specializes in unique items.
- Quilt Shop, 1121 Victory Chapel Rd, ☏ . Shop selling handmade Amish quilts.
- Spence's Bazaar and Auction, 550 S New St, ☏ . Tu F 7:30AM-5PM, Sa 7:30AM-3PM. An indoor and outdoor flea market that has a variety of shops, an auction, bakery, deli, and Amish food.
There are several local restaurants in Dover offering a wide range of cuisines. Dover also has many of the typical chain restaurants.
- [dead link] 33 West, 33 W Loockerman St, ☏ . Causual American restaurant serving upscale food.
- Angelo's Pizza, 20 W Loockerman St, ☏ . Restaurant serving New York-style thin crust pizza.
- Bangkok Thai Cuisine, 266 S Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Restaurant specializing in Thai cuisine.
- Betsy Ross Pizza, 1294 Forrest Ave, ☏ . Restaurant serving hand-crafted and fresh-baked pizza.
- Capriotti's Sandwich Shop, 130 Gateway South Ctr, ☏ . Local sandwich shop chain serving subs and steak sandwiches. The Bobbie sandwich is a local favorite.
- Cool Springs Fish Bar & Restaurant, 2463 S State St, ☏ . Modern seafood restaurant featuring an open kitchen and colorful decor.
- Festival Buffet at Dover Downs, 1131 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Su-Th 7AM-8PM, F 7AM-9PM, Sa 7AM-10PM. A buffet offering a diverse selection of cuisines. Has a good view of the horse racing track.
- Flavor of India, 348 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Indian restaurant serving exciting dishes and offering unique ambience.
- Fraizer's, 9 E Loockerman St, ☏ . A spacious, wood-paneled causal American restaurant offering views of Silver Lake. Banquet rooms available.
- [dead link] Frankie's, 1131 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . M-Th 4PM-11PM, F 4PM-1AM, Sa noon-1AM, Su noon-10PM. Located in Dover Downs, Frankie's serves classic Italian food.
- Frankfurt Bakery, 429 S New St, ☏ . 6:30AM-3PM. A small town bakery that has a wide variety of pastries and breads available everyday. Its owner/baker has almost 20 years of experience in baking bread and pastries. All of the breads are made from scratch and baked fresh daily with no preservatives. Cakes of all sizes ranging from 1/4 sheet to full sheets and 8-inch round cakes are available via special order. $1.65-$100+.
- Grotto Pizza, 1159 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-midnight, F Sa 11AM-1AM. A Delaware favorite, Grotto Pizza is a modestly-priced local pizza chain known for pizza with a swirl of sauce on top. Also features a sports bar.
- Hibachi Japanese Steak House, 691 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Japanese restaurant with food prepared by master chefs.
- Hollywood Diner, 123 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . A classic American diner.
- La Hacienda, 1171 S Bay Rd, ☏ . Mexican restaurant featuring a full bar with margaritas.
- McGlynns Pub and Restaurant, 800 N State St, ☏ . Has same owners as Deer Park Tavern in Newark, Delaware. McGlynns Pub is an Irish alehouse serving burgers and more and has a nice sit down area that is family friendly, and a bar area that has a very high spirited atmosphere. McGlynns Pub is a lively and active bar that boasts a great selection of beers, liquors, and wines, with TVs visible from most seats and sports games on them most of the time. The pub features Sunday brunch and trivia.
- Meat Mechanics, 1466 E Lebanon Rd, ☏ . BBQ restaurant that is a local favorite.
- [dead link] Michele's, 1131 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Tu W 5PM-9PM, Th-Sa 5PM-10PM, Su 9:30AM-2PM. Located in Dover Downs, Michele's is an upscale restaurant serving surf and turf entrees including filet mingon and lobster tail.
- Pizza Delight by Giacomo, 67 Greentree Shopping Ctr, ☏ . Restaurant serving authentic Italian cuisine and fresh dough pizza.
- Pizzadili, 2089 S Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Italian restaurant and deli serving gourmet items including specialty cheeses, salami, and prosciutto.
- [formerly dead link] Reel Fresh Restaurant, 1151 E Lebanon Rd, ☏ . Restaurant serving quality seafood and crabs year-round.
- Restaurant 55, 2461 S State St, ☏ . American restaurant serving gourmet burgers and a selection of craft brewed ales.
- Rice Restaurant, 45 Greentree Dr, ☏ . Restaurant serving Chinese-Japanese fusion cuisine, including sushi.
- Roma Italian Restaurant, 3 Presidents Dr, ☏ . Italian restaurant offering a fine dining experience.
- Roma Pizza, 1047 Walker Rd, ☏ . Restaurant serving a wide selection of pizza, sandwiches, and desserts.
- Sambo's Tavern, 283 Front St, Leipsic, ☏ . Located in nearby Leipsic, rustic pub serving local seafood and produce with windows overlooking the Leipsic River. Must be 21 or older to enter.
- Shucker's Pier 13, 889 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Casual restaurant serving grilled seafood, steaks, and pasta.
- Simaron Pizza & Steak Shop, 415 W Loockerman St, ☏ . Casual, down-home restaurant serving pizza, wings, hot and cold sandwiches, steaks, and Italian dishes.
- Speedway Cafe, 737 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Local diner that serves breakfast all day.
- Where Pigs Fly, 617 E Loockerman St, ☏ . Restaurant which serves hickory smoked pulled pork BBQ.
- Yukon Korean Barbecue & Sushi Bar, 865 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Asian restaurant serving fresh sushi and other Japanese and Korean dishes.
- Fordham & Dominion Brewing Company, 1284 McD Dr, ☏ . Local brewery offering tours and tastings.
- 1 The Golden Fleece Tavern, 132 W Loockerman St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 4PM-1AM, Su noon-1AM. The Golden Fleece Tavern is an historic bar and the site of Delaware's ratification of the Federal Constitution in 1787. Happy hour ($0.75 off all drinks) every day from 4:00-7:00, with free happy hour food on Friday. Often has a DJ or live music. $2.75 domestic drafts, $3.00 domestic bottles, $4.00 cocktails.
- Harvest Ridge Winery & Rebel Seed Cidery, 447 Westville Rd, Marydel, ☏ . Family farm winery in the serene countryside to the west of Dover, offering cidery tasting and recurring events.
- Irish Mikes, 107 W Loockerman St, ☏ .
- Loockerman Exchange, 1 W Loockerman St, ☏ .
Dover has a wide selection of chain hotels, along with a couple local bed and breakfasts. If you're planning to come to Dover for a major event such as the NASCAR races at Dover International Speedway, the hotels in the Dover area tend to increase rates and fill up quickly. If coming to Dover during these times, you may have to travel north to the Wilmington area or south to Sussex County to find available hotel rooms.
- Best Western Galaxy Inn, 1700 E Lebanon Rd, ☏ , fax: . Near Dover AFB, the AMC Museum, and the John Dickinson Plantation. Amenities include free continental breakfast, outdoor pool, fax and photocopy services, Internet access, and fitness center.
- Comfort Inn & Suites Dover, 764 Leipsic Rd, ☏ . Near Dover International Speedway and the Firefly Music Festival. Amenities include free hot breakfast, free Wi-Fi, computer and printer access in lobby, indoor heated pool and whirlpool, and fitness center.
- Cowgills Corner B&B, 7299 Bayside Dr, ☏ . Bed and breakfast on a working farm with sheep and llamas.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Dover, 655 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ , fax: . 1 mile from the state capitol. Amenities include free breakfast, free high-speed internet, fitness center, and pool.
- Hampton Inn, 1568 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Near Dover International Speedway and Delaware State University offering free hot breakfast, free Wi-Fi, fitness room, meeting rooms, and pool. Hotel is pet-friendly.
- Hilton Garden Inn - Dover, 1706 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Less than 2 miles from Dover Downs and Dover International Speedway. Amenities include fitness center, indoor pool and whirlpool, on-site restaurant, and 24-hour pantry offering snacks and beverages.
- Holiday Inn Dover, 561 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Near downtown Dover offering wireless internet, business center, fitness center, and kitchenette. Kids eat free.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 1780 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Hotel in northern part of Dover offering wireless internet, business center, fitness center, free breakfast, and kitchenette.
- Home2 Suites, 222 S Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Extended stay hotel near downtown Dover offering all-suite rooms with full kitchenettes. Amenities include an indoor pool, outdoor patio with barbecue grills and fire pit, and a 24-hour market selling groceries and travel essentials.
- MainStay Suites, 201 Stover Blvd, ☏ . Extended stay hotel offering free continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi, housekeeping services, and valet cleaning services.
- Microtel Inn & Suites Dover, 1703 Lebanon Rd (Rte 1 exit 95, Rte 10), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Near Dover AFB and St. Jones River Greenway. Amenities include free breakfast, free Wi-Fi, fitness center, meeting room, and business center.
- Red Roof Inn, 652 N Dupont Hwy, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Near Dover International Speedway. Amenities include free continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi, refrigerator, microwave, iron and iron board, and hairdryer. Hotel is pet-friendly.
- Residence Inn Dover, 600 Jefferic Blvd, ☏ . Extended stay hotel offering free full breakfast, free high-speed internet, and kitchen/kitchenette. Hotel is pet-friendly.
- Sleep Inn & Suites, 1784 N Dupont Hwy (Rte 1 exit 104), ☏ . Near Delaware State University and Dover Downs. Amenities include free hot breakfast, free Wi-Fi, and outdoor pool Hotel is smoke-free and pet-friendly.
- State Street Inn, 228 N State St, ☏ . Bed and breakfast near the historic area of Dover with antiques and decorative rooms.
- The Delaware Beaches are about an hour south of Dover and are home to free beaches offering swimming and sunbathing, water recreation, golf courses, boardwalks, amusements, shopping, dining, and nightlife. Popular beach towns include Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach, Bethany Beach, and Fenwick Island.
|Routes through Dover|
|Wilmington ← New Castle ←||N S||→ Camden → Salisbury|
|Wilmington via ← END ←||N S||→ Lewes → Ocean City|