A pass from Kashgar (now in China's westernmost province, Xinjiang) to Ferghana was an important link on the main course of the historic Silk Road. From Ferghana, westbound caravans would proceed along the Ferghana valley to Kokand (where they might branch off toward Tashkent) and Khujand, then continue toward Samarkand.
Uzbekistan Airways operates flights from:
- Kazan on Fri,
- Moscow Domodedovo International Airport on Fri,
- St. Petersburg on Sun,
- Tashkent on Tue, Thu, Fri and Sun (flying time: 1 hrs.) (Summer Timetable 2010).
Ferghana is served by the Margilan (Маргилан) railway station. Ferghana-1 and Ferghana-2 are for goods/freight trains only. Trains depart Tashkent for Margilan multiple times a day with a one way ticket costing approximately 55,000 UZS.
It's 360 km from Tashkent through Kamchik mountain pass with the drive taking around 5 hours. Taxis run from Kuyluk bazaar and Severniy (nord) train station in Tashkent. A seat in a shared taxi should cost no more than 50,000 UZS per seat (2017). If two people are travelling it might be worth buying the whole backseat of the car, ensuring plenty of space for the long drive. Ensure that your registration cards are in order when travelling to this area as there is a checkpoint at which all foreigners must present their passports and documentation. Police at this checkpoint may be very thorough with the checking of registration cards (October 2017).
- Korean Style Pickles, City Market / Bazaar. Many types of pickles can be found at the covered part of the city market. From Korean style pickled cabbage to pickled aubergine and carrot. From 2000 UZS a bag.
- Lag'mon Markazi, Yuksalish ko'chasi (On the end corner of Yuksalish ko'chasi and Alisher Navoi ko'chasi). Restaurant serving Uighur-style laghman, manti, pickles, etc. Delicious food and good prices. Around 20,000 UZS for two people.
- Shashlik Stands, City Market / Bazaar. Look for the smoke rising from the charcoal around 50 m away from the covered market area. A meal of shashlik, tea, salad and bread for two should be around 15,000 UZS.
- Brown Sugar, улица Худжант 4 (Just around the corner from Hotel Asia). Small coffee shop serving coffee and cake. Around 8000 UZS for a coffee.
- Sakura Hostel, Yuksalish St (The entrance to the hostel is just around the corner from the Tanho Market), ☎ . Nice new hostel in a good location near the centre. Big rooms come with en-suite bathrooms. The owner is very friendly and helpful and there are even a couple of friendly cats. $20.
- Sonya's Guesthouse Ferghana, ☎ . Very cozy, clean and comfortable place. It is located right in the center of Ferghana and very close to Bazaar and Ferganiy park. Rooms are $10-15 per person, breakfast included.
- Asia Hotel (in front of hokimiat (city government)). Very clean and comfortable. Single rooms starting from $40. Breakfast included. swimming pool is available.
Trains to Tashkent take approximately 5 hours and leave multiple times a day. A single ticket in 2nd class costs 55,000 UZS (2017). Tickets can be bought at the train station or at the train ticket office at 9 Dodhoh Street.