Khujand (called Leninabad in the Soviet period) is a city in Tajikistan.
Khujand is the second largest city in Tajikistan (163,000 inhabitants), in the Ferghana Valley on both banks of the Syr Darya river, known in ancient times as the Jaxartes.
Khujand is an old city, having been founded by Alexander the Great in 329 BCE as Alexandria Eschate (furthest Alexandria). It sits on the historic Silk Road in a strategic position, at the exit of the valley, where it can tax trade and resist invasions. Khujand was a moderately important trading city on that route for centuries.
- 1 [dead link] Khujand Airport (LBD IATA) (in Buston, Gafurov district, 10 km from Khujand). is an international airport. Often is referred to by its Soviet name - Chkalovsk, formerly known as Leninabad (during the Soviet era). Khujand airport has many flights to Russia.
Shared taxis and marshrutkas to Dushanbe, Penjikent, Istaravshan and other southern Tajikistan destinations depart from the central bus station (avtovokzal). The ride to Dushanbe cost 120 Somoni in a shared taxi (2017).
Marshrutkas and taxis to the Uzbekistan border depart from the northern bus station. Taxi to Oybek post should cost about 50-80 Somoni.
Taxi should cost not more than 10 Somoni for any destination in town. Taxi to the airport costs about 30 Somoni. There are plenty of marshrutkas as well (1 Somon per ride in 2017). The young people know english quite well. Some even know German.
- Ismail Somoni monument. This monument is located on the right bank of Syrdarya. It stands on top of a hill surrounded by fountains. There is a color and music show every evening.
- Masjidi Jami mosque and medrese. These buildinds are used for its religion purposes. They are located on bazaar square.
- Panchshanbe Bazaar. Nice Stalin-era building and a good place for shopping local food.
- Ruins of the X century citadel. There is a renovated part which contains a museum about region history. Another small museum about the citadel is within a reconstructed part of the citadel wall. Around the citadel is the park Kamal Khujandi containing 3 music stages with beautiful wooden carvings, a mausoleum-like building with earth from the grave of the poet Kamal Khujandi, springs and the must see museum showing the reconstruction of a house of a rich Tajik from Khujand.
- Independence day monument. A building in form of a stele on the street above the Ismail Somoni monument. (cannot be overlooked from there)
- Theater "Xudƶandi". Interesting Soviet-times building on a beautiful place with springs and restaurants.
- Cultural center Interesting building in an pseudo-ancient (and also bling-bling) style for weddings and any kind of cultural parties of the city. It is located on the left river bank not far away besides the main bridge.
Eat local cheap food.
- Leninabad. Overpriced Soviet-era hotel, yet cheap. Double room with private shower costs 120 somonis for foreigners (100 somoni for citizens of CIS, 80 somoni for tajiks). Lift is not working, so you probably wouldn't live higher than the 4th floor. The left luggage service costs 2 somoni. The hotel is located on right bank of Syrdarya near the river.
There is a Kairakum reservoir on Syrdarya river. To get there you should takt marshrutka #40, #40A near Panchshanbe market (2,5 somoni, 30 minutes). There is a small beach with infrastructure and eateries near dam, and a lot of sandy beaches further. Water is good and warm, though beaches themselves could be dirty.