Forres is a town in north-east Scotland.
All trains are operated by ScotRail. It is about 30 minutes by train from Inverness, cost £9 single, or £13 day return.
There are regular buses to Inverness and Aberdeen, operated by Stagecoach. The bus from Inverness takes about 1 hour.
Forres is located on the A96 Inverness to Aberdeen road. It is about 40 km from Inverness, or 120 km from Aberdeen.
It's a small town, easily walkable on foot.
- 1 Sueno's Stone (Beside the A96 road, at the east end of Forres). A huge standing stone slab with Pictish carvings. It is now enclosed within a glass case, to protect it from the weather.
- 2 Nelson's Tower. Open seasonally. Monument to the Admiral standing at the summit of Cluny Hill, Grant Park, and visible from virtually any location in the town. Boasts stunning views of the Moray Firth from the top.
- 3 Dallas Dhu distillery museum, Mannachie Road, IV36 2RR (2km south of town centre). Apr - Sep: Daily 9.30am - 5.00pm, Oct - Mar: Sat - Wed 10am - 4pm. Distillery which operated between 1899 and 1983. £5.50.
- 4 Grant Park. A large park just to the east of the town centre. It includes a cricket pitch, bowling green, playpark, several floral displays, and a sunken garden.
- 5 Brodie Castle (National Trust for Scotland), Brodie, IV36 2TE (5 km west of Forres, just off the A96 road), ☏ . March to October. 16th-century tower house, expanded into a grand mansion in the early 19th century. It has a collection of historic furniture, porcelain and paintings. The surrounding grounds include landscaped gardens, woodland walks, and a Pictish stone. £10.50.
- 6 Falconer Museum, High Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. April to October: Tuesday to Saturday, 10AM to 5PM, Sunday 1PM to 5PM. A range of collections and displays relating to the history of Forres and the Moray area. Free.
- 7 Benromach Distillery, Invererne Road, IV36 3EB, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Distillery producing Speyside single malt whisky. Tours and tastings available. From £6.
- Dava Way. Walk or cycle path running from Forres to Grantown on Spey. The full route is about 38 km (24 mi), passing through a mixture of woodland, farmland and moorland. Most of it follows an old railway line, so is away from roads and avoids any steep hills.
- Forres Highland Games are annually in July. The next event is Sat 6 July 2019.
- 1 Mosset Tavern, Gordon Street, IV36 1DL, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pub and restaurant.
- 2 The Peppermill, 118 High St., ☏ .
- 1 The Old Kirk bed and breakfast, The Old Kirk, Dyke, by Forres (Leaving Forres heading towards Inverness, follow the signs for Dyke or Brodie Castle. The Old Kirk is opposite the farm at the Forres end of the village.), ☏ . Check-in: 5pm, check-out: 10am. This traditional Scottish Kirk was built in 1856. The conversion into a 3 room bed and breakfast is an imaginative blend of traditional materials and modern touches retaining the character without creating a gothic atmosphere. from £32 ppn per night.
- 2 Cluny Bank Hotel, 69 St Leonards Rd., ☏ .
- West to the city of Inverness
- East to Elgin
- South towards Grantown on Spey and the Cairngorms National Park