Europe > Central Europe > Germany > Brandenburg > Frankfurt an der Oder
Frankfurt (Oder) (Previously known as: Frankfurt an der Oder or sometimes Frankfurt/Oder) is on the Oder River in Brandenburg, a state of Germany. It lies directly on the border with Poland, and is connected via bridge to its Polish sister city Slubice. The city is occasionally mistaken to be the much larger, and more well-known Frankfurt am Main.
- 1 Railway station. Regional Express Trains run from Berlin once every hour and the ride is just a little over an hour to Frankfurt. There is also a EuroCity (EC) Train that runs from Berlin through Frankfurt on its way to Poland, but this is significantly more expensive than the commuter train.
Take the A 12 from Berlin
- 1 Marienkirche. famous for its medieval window picturing the Antichrist's life. The only known depiction of the story of the Anti-Christ from the Bible. It is on display in the Rathaus (town hall) but should soon be on display in the church. The director of the restoration of this church, Hans-Dieter Laube tells a fascinating story about the window pane and the history of the town in general, however he speaks only German so that could be a problem, but if you can speak the language it's worth while to stop and speak with him.
- 2 Heilandskapelle, Akazienweg 31. Wooden church built during World War I by mainly Russian prisoners of war in the Karelian style.
- 3 Rathaus (town hall), Marktplatz 1. Gothic architecture
- Post office. neo-Gothic architecture
- 4 Kleist-Museum, Faberstraße 7, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 Sportmuseum, Slubicer Str. 7/8, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com.
- 6 Museum junge Kunst, Carl-Philipp-Emanuel-Bach-Str. 11, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7 Museum Viadrina, Carl-Philipp-Emanuel-Bach-Str. 11, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com.
- 8 Gedenk- und Dokumentationsstätte, Collegienstraße 10, ☏ , fax: . free.
- 9 Falkenhagen Bunker (30 km to the north-west). A partially underground military bunker intended as manufacturing site for nerve gas by the Nazis, later used by the Soviets as command bunker throughout the Cold War.
- Bewirtung 1900, Leipziger Platz 1, ☏ .
- Turm24, Logenstraße 8 (24 floor of Oderturm), ☏ .
- Rathauskeller, Marktplatz 2, ☏ .
- Café Diana, Marktplatz 4 (Rathaus), ☏ .
- Brunnencafé, Karl-Marx-Straße 8 (Brunnenplatz), ☏ .
- 1 Frankfurter Kartoffelhaus, Holzmarkt 7, ☏ . plenty of potato dishes
- Olympia, Große Scharrnstraße 60 (Brunnenplatz), ☏ . Greek
- 2 Restaurant Kontor Frankfurt(Oder), Fischerstr.32, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 17:00 - 22:00. The Restaurant Kontor is located in City Park area near to Oder Promenade (Ziegen Werder) , Restaurant Kontor is Popular for fresh seasonal food. €.
- 1 City Residence Hotel Frankfurt-Oder, Bahnhofstraße 11, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 07:00, check-out: 11:00. Centrally located, offers free Wi-Fi. Behind the bright red exterior guests will find cosy rooms with contemporary décor. The hotel offers a modern private bathroom, and some apartments also feature a seating area. Frankfurt Oder Train Station is 200 metres from the hotel. Drivers will find free private parking available on site.
- 2 Hotel Grünhof, August-Bebel-Straße 54, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Gasthof Goldener Hahn, Marie-Curie-Straße 10, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com.
- 4 Pension am Kleistpark Elke Wagner, Humboltstraße 14, ☏ . Doppelzimmer: 52 EUR.
- 5 Campingplatz Wolff, Neue Siedlung 18, 15326 Alt Zeschdorf ca. 10km nördlich von Frankfurt/Oder, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7 City Park Hotel, Lindenstraße 12, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com.
- RAMADA Hotel, Turmstr. 1, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frankfurt has potentially a lot to offer for a day visit, although you will need to speak German to take advantage. Given that the town was very deep in the former GDR there are limited numbers of English speakers available.