- Frederikshavn [dead link] describes itself as the northernmost municipality on the European continent.
- Frederikshavn was originally named Fladstrand, until 1818 where it was changed to Frederikshavn.
- Frederikshavn translates to "Frederik's harbour", named after Danish King Frederik VI.
- 1 [dead link] Frederikshavn Tourist Office, Skandiatorv 1, 9900 Frederikshavn (situated near the harbour and very close to the city centre.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Monday - Friday 09:30-16:00, Saturday: 10:00-13:00. Generel tourist information, Fishing license, Ferry tickets to Sweden and Norway, Tickets for concerts and other arrangements at Det Musiske Hus and Arena Nord, Roadmaps, Bicycle maps and rental.
Passengers traveling from other parts of Denmark can reach Frederikshavn by train, bus or airplane. The journey time by train or bus from Aalborg, the nearest large town to the south, is approx. between 1 hr 10 mins - 1 hr 45 mins. (40 minutes in car). From Aalborg Airport to Frederikshavn station is the journey time approx. 1.5 hour by bus.
The 1 Frederikshavn train station is located not far from the town center and this connects you to pretty much all of Denmark.
There is also a train line between Frederikshavn and Skagen, known as Skagensbanen, which is operated by Nordjyske Jernbaner and stops in Strandby, Jerup and Ålbæk. It takes approximately 40 minutes to reach Skagen.
X-bus from Aalborg.
- 2 Stena Line operates the route Gothenburg - Frederikshavn which takes 2 hours with Stena Line Express and 3 hours 15 min. with Stena Danica/Jutlandica and the route Oslo - Frederikshavn which takes 12 hours.
- 3 Læsø Line operates the route Læsø - Frederikshavn which takes 90 min.
- From Aalborg: Use the E45 northbound to Frederikshavn.
- From Aarhus: Use the E45 northbound to Frederikshavn via Aalborg.
- From Hirtshals: Use the E39 to Hjørring and from there use Road 35 towards Frederikshavn.
Frederikshavn does have a public bus system, that mainly connects the rim areas of the city with the city centre. For getting around in the centre, walking is the easiest solution, given the size of the area.
Frederikshavn has a public bike system, where bikes can be borrowed for free, with a DKK 100 depost in one of the bicycle hubs (at the tourist agency, by most hotels and at the camp site). The bicycles are available from Easter until November. The bikes can be used to getting around to attractions, outside of Frederikshavn city centre easily, as the city has, and expands on, a quite well functioning web of bicycle paths and roads and it is also possible to take the bike with you on the train to Skagen if space is available.
Getting around in own car is rather easy, as Frederikshavn has quite a number of parking areas, of which the majority is free. City centre is an exception to this, with a couple of paid parking areas.
- 1 [dead link] Bangsbo Museum (Kystmuseet-Bangsbo), Dr. Margrethesvej 6, 9900 Frederikshavn (Bus no. 3 from Frederikshavn St. towards Møllehuset, get off at stop Bangsbovej and walk the last 700m), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Feb.-Oct: Mon-Fri: 10:00 - 16:00. Nov.-Dec.: Mon-Fri: 11:00 - 15:00. Sat+Sun: Closed. Bangsbo Museum is located in an old manor house, surrounded by a moat, a small botanical garden and a forest playground. The museum houses exhibitions about the Danish Resistance during World War II, ships and sailing history and textiles. Bangsbo Museum is now a part of Nordjyllands Kystmuseum. Adults: DKK 75. Children under 18: Free.
- 2 Cloos Tower (Cloostårnet), Brønderslevvej 61 (6 km southwest of Frederikshavn Station, bus 210 or 225 to Vinkestrækning 15 minutes away. You can also take a bike up there.), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. May, Jun, Aug 10:00-17:00; Jul M-F 10:00-17:00, Sa-Su 10:00-18:00. Observation tower of 60 meter at 160 meter above sea level. This is the most famous landmark of town. The top is reached by stairs or elevator and gives a fantastic view of the surrounding landscape. The tower was built in 1962 at the initiative of Christian Cloos. It has a small shop with snacks and souvenirs. You can sit down in the tower or outside for a picnic. Adults: DKK 30, Children: DKK 10.
- 3 [dead link] Fiskerklyngen, Strandgade, ☏ . This is a cluster of fishermen's cottages in oldest part of Frederikshavn origianlly from the 16th century, but the houses you can see now are from the 18th century.
- 4 [dead link] Gunpowder Tower (Krudttårnet), Kragholmen 2 (Located by the harbor, short walk from Frederikshavn Station), ☏ , , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 1. July - 15. August - 11:00-15:00. Martello tower built in 1686-1690. The top floor (cannon deck) houses a range of artillery. The lower floors have exhibitions of the history of Fladstrand and the harbor. Citadel Fladstr. was used as a base by the Danish Navy during the Great Northern War (1709–20) and the war against GB (1807–14). Tordenskioldsdage is a historic festival that with a spectacular staging of the Powder Tower brings the audience back to the year 1717. Adults: DKK 75, Children under 18: Free.
- 5 Hirsholm, Frederikshavn Havn, Pier 5 (A small ferry (12 passengers) goes daily during summer, 3 times a week during spring and fall, and weekly during winter.), ☏ . Hirsholm is one of six small islands 7 km to the northeast of Frederikshavn: Hirsholm, Græsholm, Lilleholm, Deget, Tyvholm and Kølpen. Only Hirsholm is inhabited, with 17 houses and a 27 metre high lighthouse from 1886. Besides being noted for it's high population of birds, Hirsholm also sports some excellent beaches and a relatively large number of bunkers, dating back to World War II. Return tickets are: Adults: DKK 130. Children: DKK 105.
- 6 [dead link] Northern Entrenchment (Nordre Skanse), ☏ . Defensive works built by German troops 1627-29 to protect them against the Danish Navy.
- 7 [dead link] Beach (Palmestranden), Nordre Strandvej 22, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ Palmestranden@frederikshavn.dk. In the northern part of Frederikshavn, there is also a nice beach. You can easily get here by bike, and it can be worth it spending some time at the beach. During the summer there is imported Italian palms, beach volley courts and barbecue. Also close to a Small marina with a restaurant. Enjoy the view of Hirsholmene.
- 8 [dead link] Knivholt Manor (Knivholt hovedgård), Hjørringvej 180B, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mon-Sun 07:00-15:00. The Manor dates back to 13th century but have burned down on several occasions. Current buildings dates back to 17th century. Close to Knivholt Forrest. There are several event at and near the Manor during the year, like open-air concerts, festivals, markets and shows.
- 9 [dead link] Bangsbo Fort Bunker Museum (Kystmuseet-Bangsbo Fort), Understedvej 21, 9900 Frederikshavn (By car, the museum is located in a military area but parking lots exist), ☏ , , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Feb. Mon-Fri: 11:00-15:00, Apr-May: Mon-Fri: 10:00-16:00, Jun-Aug: Mon-Fri: 10:00-16:00 Sat-Sun: 11:00-16:00 and Sept-Oct: Mon-Fri: 10:00-16:00.. Bangsbo Fort was built by the Germans during the Second World War, and known as Stützpunktgruppe Frederikshavn Süd. In 1944 it was armed with 15 cm guns from the Danish Navy ship Niels Juel. During the Second World War the Germans built more than 70 concrete bunkers on the fort with 34 heavy and 17 light concrete bunkers and 30 other different concrete bunker systems. The fort belongs to the Danish Navy and since 2005 Nordjyllands Kystmuseum has rented large parts of the fort which is no longer in use, to tell the story about the fort. Adults: DKK 75, Children under 18: Free.
- 1 FunHouse Frederikshavn, Apholmenvej 39, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 24 Jun-14 Aug 10:00-18:00; 15 Aug-23 Jun F 10:00-19:00, Sa-Su 10:00-18:00. Indoor playground for children, there is arcade machines, jumping castle, trampolines and lots more. Also has a café. Adults: DKK 55, Children up to 1½ years: Free and Children from 1½ and up to 18: DKK 85.
- 2 Frederikshavn Golf Klub, Oddervej 60, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Golf course with a bistro.
- 3 Det Musiske Hus, Rådhus Allé 98, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A self-governing cultural center in fusion with Arena Nord. Experience theater, a wide selection of concerts within many genres, stand up, lectures, drama and visual arts, etc.
- 4 Arena Nord, Harald Nielsens Plads 9, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Arena Nord is with its 7000m2 the largest cultural, conference and sports center north of Limfjorden.
- 5 Den Syvende Himmel, Tordenskjoldsgade 3, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mon-Fri: 09:00-18:00, Sat: 09:00-17:00. Wellness Spa & Beauty.
- 6 Frederikshavn Swimbaths, Parallelvej 8, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The city swim hall is near the center of the city and 100m from the pedestrian street. Fitness and massage and a cafeteria.
- 7 Palads Teatret (Palads 1-2-3), Danmarksgade 26, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ . Cinema
Festivals and events
- 8 Cup No.1 (Dana Cup No.1.), Fodboldvej 7, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Week 28 every year. A youth soccer tournament for both boys and girls. Held week 28 every year. Many teams from several nations attend.
- 9 Rock in Frederikshavn (Rock i Frederikshavn), Hjørringvej 180A, 9900 Frederikshavn (Knivholt Hovedgaard), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Music festival.
Frederikshavn has a small pedestrian area, surrounding the main pedestrian street, which contains the south end of Danmarksgade and north end of Søndergade. The main pedestrian street is approximately 750 metres long, and the area houses a number of retail shops with various consumer goods, such as clothes, telecom shops, radio/TV shops and restaurants.
For bigger shops such as supermarkets, DIY retailers, furniture shops and such, the north/west end of the city houses the majority of those along Hjørringvej between Suderbovej/Knivholtvej and Toftegårdsvej/Maigårdsvej.
Opening hours follows those otherwise found in Denmark; supermarkets are mainly open between 09:30 and 18:00, other shops between 10:00 and 17:30 and restaurants between 11:00/16:30 and 22:30-23:00.
- 1 Frederikshavner Grillen, Gammel Skagensvej, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Weekdays 11:00–22:00.
- 2 Blue Burger Frederikshavn, Tordenskjoldsgade 5, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ . 10:30-22:00. Burger restaurant.
- 3 Skippers Grill, Søndergade 133, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ Skippersgrill@skippersgrill.dk. Weekdays 11:30-20:00, weekends 12:00-20:00.
- 4 Moby Dick Frederikshavn (Moby Dick), Boensgade 6, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Sat: from 17:00, Sun: Closed. A restaurant located near city center. Seafood Restaurant.
- 5 Restaurant Empire, Tordenskjoldsgade 3, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mon-Sat: from 11:00, Sun: from 12:00. Serves a selection of American and Mexican dishes, burgers and pizza.
- 6 Jerry’s Restaurant & Brewery (Jerry’s), Amaliegade 2, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Sun-Thu: 11:00-21:00 and Fri-Sat: 11:00-24:00. Bar & Grill. Motto: Good food & friendly service. Burger, pizza, sandwiches and more.
- 7 Restaurant FRIDA (Frida By Jensen), Havnegade 5, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ . Lunchbuffet: 11:30-15:00 and grillbuffet from 17:30. Lunch- and grillbuffet, also has Grill Take Away.
- 8 2takt Café & Brasserie (2takt), Søndergade 18A, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mon-Fri: 11:30-22:00, Sat-Sun: 10:00-22:00. Brunch, Café & Brasserie, Deli and Take Away.
- 9 Milan Pizza, Lodsgade 3D, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Wed: 11:00-22:00, Thu: 11:00-24:00, Fri-Sat: 11:00-03:00 and Sun: 11:00-22:00. Italian pizzeria.
- 10 Restaurant Bone's Frederikshavn (Bone's), Havnegade 8, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mon-Thu: 11:30-21:30, Fri-Sat: 11:30-22:00 and Sun: 16:30-21:30. American-inspired food in authentic surroundings or take away.
- 11 Karma Sushi Frederikshavn (Karma Sushi), Lodsgade 10, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tue-Thu: 16:00-22:00, Fri-Sat: 16:00-23:00, Monday & Sunday: Closed. This is the very first of the restaurants in the Karma Sushi chain.
- 12 Bai Sheng, Søndergade 3A, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ . Mon-Fri: 14:00-22:00, Sat-Sun: 13:00-22:00. Chinese Restaurant
- 13 Café Stæhr, Danmarksgade 42, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mon-Fri: 10:00-17:30, Sat: 10:00-16:00. Café
- 14 [formerly dead link] Restaurant Panorama (Hotel Jutlandia), Havnepladsen 1, 9900 Frederikshavn (6th floor at Hotel Jutlandia), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Every day for breakfast: 07:00-10:00. Thu-Sat: 17:00-21:00. From the top floor of Hotel Jutlandia where the restaurant is located you have a stunning view of the harbor front.
- 15 Restaurant Møllehuset (Møllehuset), Skovallèen 45, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Mon: 12:00-18:00, Tue--Sat: 11:00-22:00 and Sun: 11:00-18:00 (Kitchen closes an hour before). A restaurant a few kilometers southeast of the city center, located in Bangsbo. Some of the oldest buildings in Frederikshavn. Seasonal menu prepared with the different ingredients of the season. Two courses: 255 DKK/34 €, three courses: 325 DKK/43 € (may 2013).
- 1 John Bull Pub (John Bull), Havnepladsen 1, 9900 Frederikshavn (Hotel Jutlandia), ☏ . Mon-thu: 16:00-23:30, Fri: 14:00-01:00, Sat: 12:00-01:00. A pub near city center with draft beer, and there are pool tables and darts.
- 2 Old Irish Pub (Old Irish Pub Frederikshavn), Skandiatorv 4, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ . Mon-Thu: 12:00-02:00, Fri: 12:00-06:00, Sat: 12:00-05:00 and Sun: 12:00-02:00. Pub combined with a nightclub for the mature crowd.
- 3 Buddy Holly Frederikshavn (Buddy Holly), Søndergade 9, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Thu: 21:00-05:00, Fri-Sat: 22:00-05:00. Bar.
- 4 Freddy´s Bar, Havnegade 9B, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Mon-Wed: 12:00-18:00, Thu: 12:00-23:00, Fri-Sat: 12:00-24:00. Bar with live music every weekend.
- 5 Fregatten, Danmarksgade 45, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ . Mon-Wed: 20:00-02:00, Thu: 20:00-03:00, Fri-Sat: 21:00-04:00. Bar
- 1 [formerly dead link] Danhostel Frederikshavn City, Læsøgade 18, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers 25 rooms with en suite bathroom, 2 rooms with bath in the corridor. 3 small annex appartments with bath and toilet. 107 beds. Cafeteria, lounge, garden, guest kitchen. Breakfast buffet. Wireless internet. 85-550 Kr.
- 2 Hotel Frederikshavn Seamen’s Home (Hotel Frederikshavn Sømandshjem), Tordenskjoldsgade 15B, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. Offers 53 rooms with shower/toilet/hairdryer/phone/cable TV. Restaurant, meeting rooms, Internet café, wireless Internet access in all rooms, elevator, free parking. TV/living room with poolbillard and dart. The reception desk is open 24 hours. The hotel is located 50m from E45 highway. It is close to the pedestrian street. 2 Jan-22 Dec. 515-1,275 Kr.
- 3 Hotel Lisboa, Søndergade 248, 9900 Frederikshavn (close to the motorway E45 in the southern part of town), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. Three star hotel. 32 double rooms which are equipped with private bathroom, telephone, radio and a colour TV with access to satellite channels. Family restaurant, large garden and carpark. Close to the Deer Park and the Bangsbo area. 2 Jan-23 Dec. From 675 Kr.
- 4 [dead link] Herman Bang Bed & Breakfast, Skolegade 2, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Offers 30 rooms where 22 have own shower, toilet and TV. Private parking. All rooms renovated in January 2007.. 10 Jan-20 Dec. From 590 Kr..
- [dead link] Hotel 1987, Havnegade 8E, Damsgaards Plads (near harbour), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers 28 rooms where all rooms have bath, TV and minibar. Family rooms, parking. Close to supermarket. Small but cosy hotel. 460-600 Kr.
- 5 Nordstrand Camping, Apholmenvej 40, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Camping, caravans and cabins. Wireless internet.
- 6 BB Hotel Frederikshavn, Turisthotellet, Margrethevej 5, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 11:00. Self-service hotel with Free WiFi. From DKK 460.
- 7 Best Western Hotel Herman Bang (Hotel Herman Bang), Tordenskjoldsgade 3, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. Offers 60 rooms with/without shower. Various rooms available – from business to family rooms suites and apartments. Car park. Color TV. American restaurant. Walking distance of Frederikshavns train station and the harbour, located at the very center of Frederikshavn. Also has spa & wellness. 2 Jan, 22 Dec. 395-1,795 DKK.
- 8 Park Hotel Frederikshavn, Jernbanegade 7, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers 20 rooms with all comforts. Wireless Internet. Parking. Restaurant/library bar/patio. 300m from the port with ferries to Gothenburg, Oslo and Læsø. 11 Jan-19 Dec. 300-2,200 Kr.
- 9 Scandic The Reef, Tordenskjoldsgade 14, 9900 Frederikshavn (Opposite the port, entrance via Toldbodvej), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. Offers 210 rooms, including 12 superior rooms and two top-suites. Rooms with writing desk and telephone, TV with in house movies, ironing board, minibar and free internet in several rooms. 111 family rooms for two adults and two children. 20 meeting and breakout rooms. Sub-tropical water park, fitness room, sauna, table tennis, restaurant, brasserie and nightclub. Free public car park. Free WiFi. From 300 Kr
- 2 Frederikshavn Library (Frederikshavn Bibliotek), Parallelvej 16, 9900 Frederikshavn, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Fri: 10:00-18:00, Sat: 10:00-13:00 & Sun: Closed. The library offer free internet access for one hour at a time. Also possible to use printer and copy machine at a cost.
- 3 The Port of Frederikshavn (Frederikshavn Havn), Færgehavnsvej 9, 9900 Frederikshavn (See coverage map on website), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Offers everyone having business at the ferry port access to fast and free internet connection. The guests frequenting the port are even provided with an additional service, as the opening page facilitates information about e.g. events taking place in the town, weather forecasts, and timetables for ferry, train and bus. Free.
There are lots of beautiful nature areas around, easily accessible by car. There are also several smaller cities in Frederikshavn municipality which offers cosy small town feel.
- Sæby - Small town with a seaport.
- Skagen - Denmark's northernmost town with a thriving tourist industry.
- Strandby - Small coastal town 4 km north of Frederikshavn.
- Ålbæk - Also a smaller coastal town.
- Elling - Small village where the Elling Å stream is and a 13th-century church.
- Dybvad - Quiet small town situated in the south of Frederikshavn. Dybvad hosts an open air music festival in August, called Dybvad Open Air.
- Jerup - Here State Prison of Kragskovhede is located.
|Routes through Frederikshavn|
|Göteborg ← ←||E S||→ Sæby → Aalborg|