Aalborg is the capital and largest city in the region of North Jutland. A university town and a regional centre for education. It has a long history as an industrial and port town with an international airport that also serves Copenhagen.
Aalborg is an old town with many preserved buildings and important prehistoric relics, but also thriving cultural life with several institutions of national importance. The Tourist Information of Aalborg has its headquarters in Nordkraft, a culture centre at the harbourfront.
The city of Nørresundby is just across Limfjord, to the north of it.
- 1 Aalborg Airport (AAL IATA Aalborg Lufthavn), Ny Lufthavnsvej 100 (5½ km northwest of the city), ☏ . Aalborg is the third largest airport in Denmark. Norwegian and SAS have flights from Copenhagen Airport to Aalborg, while Norwegian also offers international direct flights from European cities. Ryanair also has flights from the UK as well.; There are direct trains to the city centre and onwards to Aarhus, Odense and Copenhagen about once per hour. Additionally, local buses stop at the airport, however they are fairly infrequent on weekends and evenings and service stops rather early, at around 11PM. Taxis are available but they are expensive.
Aalborg Busterminal on John F Kennedy Plads (The John F Kennedy square, phone: 98 12 87 13) right by the station is a large regional hub for long distance, regional and local buses. Express buses (XBus) leaves several times per day towards Aarhus (via Hadsund), Løgstør, Holstebro, Viborg (via Silkeborg) and Esbjerg. In addition regional buses (locally known as rutebil) connects to nearly every city of some size in North Eastern Jutland.
- 2 Bus station, Fredensgade 45 (close to the train station).
- 3 Aalborg station, Banegårdspladsen 1. The main train station.
- 4 Aalborg Vestby, Kastetvej. Smaller platform where some trains do an interim stop.
From Frederikshavn: Use the E45 southbound to Aalborg.
From Hirtshals: Use the E39 southbound to Aalborg.
From Aarhus: Use the E45 northbound to Aalborg.
In the center it easy to walk by foot. To go further, there is a good public bus system (kr 22 for 1½ hr if you pay cash), run by the Nordjyllands Trafikselskab company, which tickets can be bought online. The buses don't go at night, and taxis are very expensive. The best way is still to get around by bicycle, you can rent one close to tourist information office or at several other locations using the city-bike system. There is also a city bike scheme where you may borrow a bicycle after giving a kr 20 deposit. For longer stays, a better option is buying one. Police has auctions once per month, you can ask about them in the police station.
- 1 Aalborg Akvavit. Distillery. There used to be a museum but it was closed in 2016.
- 2 Aalborghus Castle (Aalborghus Slot), Slotspladsen 1. A half-timbered castle built by King Christian III in 1539 - 1555 initially as a fortification. Soon it became the seat of the king's provincial governors in Northern Jutland, and then started to be used by the State County for taxes. All that remains today of the original castle is the east wing, the rest was constructed centuries later. There is no public access to the buildings but the courtyard is open for everybody free of charge. Besides, it's possible to visit the castle’s dungeon (1 May - 31 October Mon-Fri 8:00-15:00) and underground casemates (daily 8:00 - 21:00).
- 3 Aalborg Tower (Aalborgtårnet), Søndre Skovvej 12, ☏ . 11:00 - 17:00. 54.9 metre tall observation tower built of lattice steel in 1933. The tower is built on a hill, providing a total height of 105 metres above sea level. The tower has a restaurant on the top. Adult 40 kr, children (3-11 years) 30 kr.
- 4 Aalborg Townhall, Gammel Torv 2. Built in 1759 and served as city hall until 1912. Now is only used for wedding ceremonies and representative purposes.
- 5 Aalborg Zoo, Mølleparkvej 63. Cosy zoo with many "classic" zoo animals such as giraffes, elephants and big cats. The biggest enclosure is the savanna, where several African animals are free-ranging. There is also a big playground and a nice restaurant.
- 7 Jens Bangs Stenhus, Østerågade 9. Beautiful renaissance house, built in 1624 by the merchant Jens Bang.
- 8 Jørgen Olufsens House, Østerågade 25. Well-preserved renaissance house from 1616 by the merchant Jørgen Olufsen.
- 9 Lindholm Hoeje, Vendilavej 11, Lindholm Høje, Nørresundby, ☏ . Tu-Su 10:00-16:00, during Apr-Oct closes 1 hour later. Ancient Viking graveyard. There is an adjacent Lindholm Hoeje museum. Adult 75 kr, students 60 kr, children below 18 years free.
- 10 Royal Taxhouse, Strandvejen 1. Built in 1902 representing national romantic architecture. In 2005, it was brought back to its original style. Next to the house is a musical fountain, during summer at 12:00, 15:00, 18:00 and 21:00 Händel's Water Music accompanise the splashing water.
- 11 KUNSTEN Museum of Modern Art Aalborg, Kong Christians Allé 50, ☏ . Tue-Sun 10-17, Wed 10-21. Adult 95 kr, student 50 kr, children up to 18 years free.
- 12 Defence and Garrison Museum, Skydebanevej 22, ☏ . 10:00 - 16:00. November to March: as per arrangement for group visits (minimum 10 persons). 50 kr, children 25 kr.
- 13 Springeren - Maritime Experience Centre (Søfarts- og Marinemuseum), Vestre Fjordvej 81, ☏ . 10:00-16:00, closes later during summer. A marine museum located on the wharf where you can play with modelships in the pool, visit submarine 'Springeren' and learn about the ships at the exhibition. Adults 80 kr, children 6-14 years 40 kr. Free entrance for students each Monday.
- 14 Gråbrødrekloster Museum, Algade 19, ☏ . Tue - Sat 10:00 - 16:00. Underground museum 3 m below Algade street. It depicts the history of the Franciscan monastery as well as the market place, the unknown churches and the city houses. 40 per lift load (max. 250 kg), Admission by self-service via the lift tower by the department store "Salling", Algade.
- 15 Historical Museum, Algade 48, ☏ . Tue - Sat 10:00 – 17:00. Exhibition is rather small and of limited value. Adults 40 kr, students 30 kr, children free.
The harbourfront has been renewed and is now centre for culture and education. The entire area offers an inspiring city walk in itself.
- 16 Utzon Centre, Slotspladsen 4, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 10:00-17:00. A cultural centre exhibiting art, architecture and design. Focuses on Jørgen Utzon's own work and other work somehow related to him. Also has a restaurant. Adult 80 kr, students 40 kr, children under 18 years free.
- 17 Kildeparken, Gammel Kærvej.
- 18 Lille Vildmose (Take bus #56 (Aalborg – Mou) or bus#58/458 (Hobro – Hadsund via Als and Øster Hurup), then walk last 1.5 km to the visitor centre), ☏ . The largest raised bog in Western Europe, good wildlife exhibition center with small cafe and restaurant and excellent bird watching.
- 19 Egholm. Small island in the fjord which can be reached by a short ferry ride.
- Bicycle. Rent a bicycle and go along the fjord.
- 1 Casino Aalborg, Ved Stranden 16, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Su–Th 20:00-03:00, F-Sa from 20:00. Offer American Roulette, Black Jack, Poker and slot machines. Nice experience, but the atmosphere here is not as chic and international as you might expect. kr 50.
- 2 Ice-skating, C.W. Obels Square (behind the Student House). 24/7, but only in the winter. Free if you own your own skates, otherwise renting them is kr 50.
- 3 Open Swimming Pool (Friluftsbad), Skydebanevej 14. Free.
- 4 Nordkraft, Kjellerups Torv (At the habourfront next to Musikkens Hus and the Utzon Center). Nordkraft is a culture center with several cultural institutions including Skråen (a venue for jazz and rock concerts), Teater Nordkraft, the Biffen Art Cinema, the Kunsthal Nord art gallery and Dreamhouse (an innovative creation facility). It was established in 2009 in a former power plant. Nordkraft is home to
- 5 Musikkens Hus, Musikkens Plads 1 (At the harbourfront next to Nordkraft and the Utzon Center), ☏ . The concert halls and school of music. Fantastic architecture.
- 6 Aalborg Karnival. The biggest carnival in Northern Europe. If you want to have fun with Danish people this is a great opportunity.
Cheapest supermarkets are Netto, Fakta, Aldi, Lidl and Rema 1000. Working hours are 08:00-22:00 all week. Aldi is open 8:00-21:00 all days, with the exception of Christmas and New Years Day and Eve.
- Algade and Bispensgade. Main shopping streets. Most shops close M-F 18:00, and Sa 14:00. Shops are closed Sundays unless it is a special Sunday (usually first of the month).
- Medinaen, Reberbansgade, Urbansgade, Holbergsgade and Jens Bangs Gade. Shopping area with a number of unique small shops.
- Salling, Algade. Department store.
- Wet Market, Aagade. Sa W mornings.
- 1 Fontænen, Prinsensgade 42, ☏ . has the cheapest hot dogs in town, low budget fast food, what you need after a night out.
- 1000fryd. an alternative bar, vegan dinner on Tuesdays for kr 20. You have to sign up before.
- Emiki Pizza: small pizza place & friendly staff. Veggie pizza with Coke for kr 45.
- Friends: nice location toward the street junction & have the option to stay out.I eat salmon salad with mixed fruit cocktail juice for kr 90, but make sure to have krones since they are not accepting euro.
There are many other good places to eat. Many such along Jomfru Ane Gade where you can both eat and drink well at an affordable price.
- 1 Jomfru Ane Gade is a short street with 30 restaurants/bars. Drinks are cheap and the bars are open late. You will see signs advertising 20 kr drinks and 20:00-00:00 happy hour.
- 2 The Wharf, ☏ . Borgergade 16, has the best beer in town (same owner as Charlies in Copenhagen).
- 3 The Irish House. Østerågade 25, tel: 98141817.
- 4 London Pub, Boulevarden 7, ☏ .
- Fedtebrødet. A real underground place in Aalborg. Very good music in this hippie bar where local bands play often and where you can always grab a guitar and jam with other costumers. The place is full of "different" people... let us say it's the complete opposite of the above-mentioned Jomfru Ane Gade.
- 5 1000fryd, Kattesundet 10, ☏ . Aalborg's only bar run by activists. 1000fryd has been around since 1984 when Aalborg's alternative scene bought the place. Now the place is known for their ecological beer, underground music scene and do-it-yourself attitude towards life. 1000fryd has two reoccurring festivals, namely their Punk/HC festival and their Queer festival.
- Student house  right across the Budolfi church hosts international evenings on Wednesdays, as well as various concerts on Fridays. Very informal.
- 6 Behag din smag, Maren Turis Gade 5, ☏ . M-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 09:30-16:30. Coffee, tea and chocolate. If you enjoy good coffee, then this is the spot. One of the owners was the Danish Barista champion of 2007.
- 7 Søgaards Bryghus, C. W. Obels Plads 1, ☏ . Brew pub, very modern ambiance, with the mash tuns in full view. Offers many styles of beer, including stouts, porters, IPA, and lagers.
Aalborg is also the home of De Danske Spritfabrikker which produces a great number of distilled beverages. Their most famous product is the Aalborg Taffel Akvavit, colloquially known as a "Rød Aalborg" (Red Aalborg).
- 1 Danhostel Aalborg, Skydebanevej 50, ☏ . A hostel outside the centre of Aalborg which contains some huts on an island and is close to the ferry to Egholm. It has dating furniture, small rooms, not clean kitchen and overall scores very low rating on the Internet. Single 470 kr, double 580 kr.
- 2 Eyvind Andreasen B&B, Kronprinsens alle 34, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Friendly place just north of the bridge. Has three rooms sharing bathroom, kitchen, separate entrance. TV, beer and wine available in the kitchen at very reasonable prices. kr 270, kr 325 (double).
- 3 Comwell Hvide Hus Hotel, Vesterbro 2 (close to Kildeparken), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The hotel is located on a beautiful and central location, within walking distance of most attractions.
- 4 Hotel Gestus (Hotel Chagall), Vesterbro 36, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Small and homey hotel in the heart of Aalborg.
- 5 Helnan Phønix Hotel, Vesterbro 77, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Classic historic hotel in the middle of Aalborg.
- 6 First Hotel Aalborg (Slotshotellet), Rendsbruggade 5, ☏ . View of Limfjorden, close to Aalborg’s pedestrianised boutique shopping, and 3 minutes walk from the new outdoor harbour pool.
- 7 KOMPAS Hotel Aalborg, Østerbro 27, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The cozy hotel at Østerbro.
- 8 Scandic Aalborg City, Europa Plads 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. -modern and comfortable rooms in the heart of Aalborg.
- 9 Scheelsminde Hotel & Gastronomi, Scheelsmindevej 35, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. A nice 4-star hotel-restaurant catering to business people.
- 10 Radisson Blu Limfjord Hotel, Aalborg, Ved Stranden 14-16, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Big 4-star hotel with a view towards the Limfjord. kr 1200 - 2000 per night.
- Det nordjyske Landsbibliotek [dead link] (library), Rendsburggade 2, section Nørregadehjørnet in "Team Natur".
Almost every Dane speaks English. Most people will respond in English to any question you may have. Many Danes also speak some German, Spanish or French, due to having studied them in school. Most Danes understand the other Scandinavian languages, Swedish and Norwegian. Information on public transport and in government offices is often printed in English. For the most common phrases in Danish, see the Danish phrasebook article.
The currency is Danish kroner (crowns). Visa and MasterCard are normally accepted in any restaurant, taxi or store. ATMs accept all major credit and debit cards and are available in English language.
There are lots of beautiful nature around, easily accessible only by car.
- 1 Rubjerg Knude. impressing sand dunes and a lighthouse in the sand
- Fur island
For beach, you can take a bus to Blokhus (around 40 km) or Hals (around 30 km) and walk some 3 km north, or take a less frequent bus that passes Hou, to, e.g., Bisnap strand.
- Fårup Sommerland. This amusement park can be reached by bus from Aalborg Rutebilstation. The amusement park has many rides and a water park.
|Routes through Aalborg|
|Frederikshavn ← Sæby ←||N S||→ Hobro → Aarhus|
|Hirtshals ← Hjørring ←||N S||→ END|