French River is a municipality of 2,700 people (2016) in Northeastern Ontario.
The municipality comprises the communities of Alban, Bigwood, Chartrand Corner, Delamere, Dokis First Nation, French River Station, Happy Landing, Jamot, Monetville, Noëlville, North Monetville, Ouellette, Rutter, Sucker Creek Landing, and Wolseley Bay.
For thousands of years the First Nations (Aboriginal) people used the French River as a meeting place to exchange goods. Interesting journals were left on the shores dating back to the 1600s. Early Europeans explorers and missionaries paddled its waters and recorded their thoughts, their adventures through the dangerous rapids and rugged terrain and their contact with the Aboriginal people.
Because of its intriguing history, the French River has been designated a Canadian Heritage River. Today this 110-km waterway park from Lake Nipissing to Georgian Bay houses 230 campsites with plenty of fun for the family. French River Provincial Park offers a camping experience it the heart of nature! Fishing, canoeing, kayaking, angling and hunting are now popular activities on the river.
French River is 80 km from Sudbury and 80 km and can be reach by traveling south on Highway 69 and turning left on Highway 64. French River is a 122-km drive from Parry Sound, travelling north on Highway 69 and turning left onto Highway 64. The town can also be reached from North Bay with a 105-km drive by taking Highway 17 and a left on Highway 64. A branch of the Trans-Canada Highway passes through the area, traveling between Sudbury and Kanata (near Ottawa) on Highway 69 and 400, then Highway 12, then Highway 7, then Highway 417.
- Ontario Northland Bus Service, ☏ , toll-free: . One bus a day stops at Alban on its route between Sudbury and Toronto. From Toronto: 4 hr 40 min, $77. From Sudbury: 1 hr 5 min, $29.
- 1 French River/Alban Aerodrome (2.2 km S of Alban). A private airport.
If heights are not your issue, you’ll want to cross the French River Bridge, Canada's largest cable-supported snowmobile bridge. It has a span of over 90 m and rises to 14 m above the French River’s water level to provide visitors a bird’s eye view. Come trek the paths of the Voyageurs in French River!
The French River enjoys a well-deserved reputation for its quality of fishing experiences. The areas vast array of lodging from remote camping to full services lodges and everything in between will provide a great base to discover and explore the timeless beauty of the French and Pickerel River systems.
- 1 Grundy Lake Provincial Park, ☏ . A 3614-ha park with great beaches, challenging hiking trails, and camping. Stop into and discover the French River Provincial Park Visitors' Centre near Highway 69 where it crosses the French River and Gorge. Explanatory exhibits and educational events related to the cultural and natural resources of the river.
- 2 French River Golf and Country Club, 655 Golf Course Road Alban Ontario P0M 1A0, ☏ . Offers an executive 9-hole course, spectacular scenery and cottages.
- 3 Meadow Springs Golf Course, 5839 Highway 64 Monetville, ☏ . An 18-hole championship course & restaurant.
- 4 [formerly dead link] Rene's Cruises, 18 Nature's Trail Rd, Noelville, ☏ .
- French River Trading Post, Motel & Restaurant, 20112 Hwy 69, Alban, ☏ . Daily 8AM-7PM. Canadian-made moccasins, souvenirs, local First Nations handicraft, and cream and butter fudge made fresh in-house.
- Hungry Bear Restaurant French River Trading Post, 20112 Hwy 69, Alban, ☏ . Daily 8AM-7PM. Blueberry pancakes and “Hungry Man” breakfasts, burgers, wraps, and salads. Old-fashioned sundaes and milkshakes, 16 flavours of ice cream. Wheelchair accessible.
- Noelville Restaurant, 8 St David St N, Noelville, ☏ . M-Sa 6:30AM-7:30PM, Su 7AM-7PM.
- 1 Bear's Den Lodge, 2870J Hartley Bay Road, Alban (https://bearsdenlodge.com/directions/), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2:00 PM, check-out: 9:00 AM. Fishing & hunting lodge, boat access or fly-in float plane wilderness resort. Offers an all-inclusive "American meal plan" packages and self-catered housekeeping cottage plans.
- 2 Bryer Lodge, Noelville, toll-free: .
- 3 Crane's Lockhaven Wilderness Lodge, RR #1 Noelville, toll-free: .
- 4 Crooked Lake Lodge, RR # 2, Site 1, Alban, ☏ .
- 5 [dead link] Dry Pine Camp, 188 Dry Pine Bay Rd, Alban, ☏ .
- 6 French River Lodge, RR # 2, Site 3, Box 1, Alban, ☏ .
- 7 French River Trading Post, Motel & Restaurant, RR# 2 Alban, toll-free: .
- 8 Memquisit Lodge, 506 Memquisit Rd, Monetville, ☏ , toll-free: .
- 9 Presqu'ile Cottages, 1203 Hwy. 64, Alban, ☏ .
- 10 Rainbow Camp, 606 North Channel Rd, Noelville, ☏ , toll-free: .
- 11 Sand Beach Lodge, 53 White Pine Lane Alban, toll-free: .
- 12 Totem Point Lodge, RR# 1, Box 3 Noelville Ontario, ☏ .
- 13 [formerly dead link] Welcome Lodge, RR# 1, 496 Musky Island Road Lavigne.
- 14 Wolseley Lodge, RR # 1, Box 8 Noelville, toll-free: .
- 15 [dead link] Yesterday's Resorts & Conference centre, 490A-B Hwy 607A, Alban, toll-free: .
French River Resorts Association Website: https://www.frenchriverresorts.com/
|Routes through French River|
|Ends at ← Sudbury ←||N S||→ becomes → Parry Sound → Barrie|