- The town is at the intersection of Interstate 66, US-340 and US-522 near US-55. It is just miles from the intersection of Interstate 66 and Interstate 81
- The closest airport is 1 Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport (SHD), a small airport with scheduled commercial service only to Chicago–O'Hare and Washington–Dulles.
- About an hour drive from Front Royal is 2 Washington Dulles International Airport major airport with numerous domestic and international flights.
- For passenger train service, 3 Manassas Amtrak Station is about an hour drive from Front Royal.
- Passenger bus service is available from 4 Washington Greyhound Bus Station, about a 90-minute drive from Front Royal.
Front Royal's downtown area along Main Street is walkable.
There is a bus, the called Front Royal Trolley, which travels around the town of Front Royal but not the surrounding areas. ($0.50 fare; free for ages 0-12). (Route map)
Otherwise, you will definitely need a car to get around.
- 1 Skyline Caverns, 10344 Stonewall Jackson Hwy (Route 340), ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM; Sa Su 9AM-6PM;. A series of caverns turned tourist attraction, one of only a few places in the world where you will find Anthodite formations, minerals shaped like orchids. There are also a series of underground streams and a waterfall to see here, as well as a miniature train. Adults $28, children age 6-12 $14, children age 0-5 Free..
- 2 Christendom College, 134 Christendom Drive (off Shenandoah Shores Rd), toll-free: . Catholic college, opened in 1977.
- 1 Appalachian Trail. The 2,100-mile (3,400-km) Appalachian Trail passes near Front Royal. You can find it on Route 522 (Remount Road), about 4 miles southeast of the center of town. From here, you can walk 969 miles (1,560 km) south to Georgia or 1,134 miles (1,825 km) north to Maine. There is a Front Royal Trolley stop here, but pickup is only twice per day.
- 2 Skyline Drive (begins at Stonewall Jackson Hwy). A 105-mile (169-km) windy road, along the Shenandoah National Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains, with dozens of beautiful views. Particularly stunning when the leaves change color in late September and early October. $30 per vehicle for a 7-day pass, or $55 for a 12-month pass.
- 3 Warren Riffles Confederate Museum, 95 Chester St, ☏ . Relics and records of the US Civil War. Also books and gifts. Weekdays 9AM-4PM; Su noon to 4PM April 15-Nov 1; by appointment rest of year.
- 4 Blue Ridge Hot Air Balloons, 552 Milldale Hollow Rd, ☏ . Hot air balloon rides over the Shenandoah Valley, to see the area from above. From $180 per-person.
- 5 Front Royal Canoe Company, 8567 Stonewall Jackson Hwy, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers canoe, kayak, and rafting trips down the Shenandoah River. Trips from 3 to 40 miles (5 km to 65 km). From $40.
- 6 Royal Family Bowling Center, 430 Remount Rd, ☏ .
- 7 Blue Ridge Shadows Golf Club, 456 Shadows Drive (on US522/340: 2 miles north of I-66), ☏ . Featuring views of the Blue Ridge Mountains, this award-winning golf course offers five sets of tee boxes ranging from 4,994 to 7,301 yards. The front nine plays as a traditional mountain course with vast elevation changes, tight fairways and numerous bunkers on most holes. The back nine, on the other hand, plays as a lakes course with wider fairways and water on almost all 9 holes, including the Signature Waterfall at the 18th green.
- 1 Main Street Geek, 301 E Main St, ☏ . M-Th noon-6PM, F Sa noon-8PM, Su noon-5PM. Toys, collectibles, comics, Lego sets, gifts, handcrafted jewelry, and art
- 2 Mountain Trails Front Royal, 120 E Main St, ☏ . M-Th 10AM-6PM, F 10AM-7PM, Sa noon-7PM, Su noon-5PM. Outdoor clothing and equipment
- 3 Royal Oak Bookshop, 207 S Royal Ave, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su noon-5PM. New and used books
- 1 PaveMint Smokin' Taphouse, 9 S Commerce Ave (Route 522), ☏ . F Sa 11AM-10PM, Su M W Th 11AM-9PM, Tu 4-9PM. Gatropub serving craft beers and alcoholic milkshakes, in a gas station that was converted into a restaurant. Some outdoor seating available.
- 2 L Dee's Pancake House, 522 E Main St, ☏ . Pancakes and other breakfast food. Cash only.
- 3 Spelunker's Frozen Custard & Cavern Burgers, 116 South St, ☏ . Burgers and frozen custard.
- 4 Front Royal Fox's Pizza Den, 239 South St, ☏ . Pizza, sandwiches, and salads.
- 5 Houlihan's Restaurant + Bar, 101 Hospitality Drive (on US522/340: 2 miles north of I-66), ☏ . Houlihan’s offers relaxed, casual dining and bar seating for 196 guests, featuring quality American fare freshly prepared with contemporary flavors and creativity. Houlihan's features a 98% made-from-scratch kitchen. From fresh-baked artisan breads to mini martini flights, you’ll find a variety of popular dishes along with interesting new tastes delivered to the table with smart presentations.
- 1 Chester Gap Cellars, 4615 Remount Rd, ☏ . F-Su 11AM-6PM, closed M-Th. Winery with peaceful porch and a great view. Try some of the wines, buy a few bottles of your favorites. Bringing in outside food to eat is allowed.
- 2 Glen Manor Vineyards, 2244 Browntown Rd, ☏ . F Sa 11AM-5PM, Su noon-5PM, M 11AM-5PM, closed Tu-Th. Winery producing excellent Virginia wine. Wine-tastings available.
- 3 Front Royal Brewing Company, 122 E Main St, ☏ . F noon-10PM, Sa 11AM-10PM, Su 11AM-8PM, M W Th noon-8PM, closed Tu. Local brewery in a large space.
- 4 Vibrissa Beer, 122 E Main St, ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-9PM, F Sa 11AM-11PM. Brewery and restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. Live music some Friday and Saturday evenings. They also have a location in Winchester.
- 5 Main Street Daily Grind Café, 215 E Main St, ☏ . Daily 8AM-6PM. Coffee and espresso drinks. Also serves breakfast and lunch.
Bed & Breakfast
- Lackawanna Bed & Breakfast, 236 Riverside Dr, ☏ .
- Woodward House on Manor Grade, 413 S Royal Ave, ☏ .
Hotels and motels
- Blue Ridge Motel, 1370 N Shenandoah Ave, ☏ .
- Relax Inn, 1525 N Shenandoah Ave, ☏ .
- Motel 6, 141 W 15th St, ☏ .
- Hampton Inn, 9800 Winchester Rd, ☏ .
- 1 DoubleTree by Hilton Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows (formerly Holiday Inn Express), 111 Hospitality Drive (on US522/340: 2 miles north of I-66), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. A conference hotel with 124 Guest Rooms, 26 one bedroom suites and conference facilities seating up to 300 people for banquets. The hotel offers free wireless internet, coin-op guest laundry, 24 hour fitness center and business centers and a heated indoor pool/whirlpool. Guest rooms come with 32-inch LCD TVs with HBO, Refrigerators and oversized desks with ergonomic chairs.
- Parkside Motel, 541 S Royal Ave, ☏ .
- Super 8 Motel, 111 South St, ☏ .
- 2 Gooney Creek Campground, 7122 Stonewall Jackson Hwy, ☏ . Check-out: noon. Beautiful tent/RV campground immediately alongside the Gooney Creek. 20A hookups. No wifi. Swimming possible in river. $36.
|Routes through Front Royal|
|END ← Middletown ←||W E||→ Manassas → Washington, D.C.|
|Hancock ← Winchester ←||N S||→ Culpeper → Jct|