The most convenient airport is probably Osaka Itami Airport, which is about 1 hr 30 min away by car. By public transport, the most convenient option is the highway bus which runs via the airport (see below); those who would rather take the train (unless they wish to make a detour via the Japan Rail Pass office at Osaka Station) should head to Takarazuka (on either the hourly Hankyū Bus service (30 mn, ¥240) or the Monorail and Hankyū Railway via Hotarugaike (30 minutes, ¥420)), from where they can catch the Kōnotori Limited Express (1 hr 20 min, ¥3180).
Kobe Airport is about 1hr 35mins away by car. By public transport, take the Port Liner to Sannomiya, where you can change either to the highway bus (see below) or the JR train to Amagasaki, where you can change to the Kōnotori. This latter option takes about 2 hr 30 min and costs a total of ¥4720.
The nearest international airport is Kansai, which is 2 hr 15 min away by car. By public transport, the quickest option is to take the JR Haruka Limited Express to either Shin-Osaka (for the Kōnotori) or Kyoto (for the Kinosaki or Hashidate). Either option will take about 3 hr 10 min; the total cost is ¥6950 (via Kyoto) or ¥7050 (via Shin-Osaka). If you instead take the Kansai Airport Rapid to Osaka (for the Kōnotori) the price drops to ¥5360.
Fukuchiyama is fortunate to be served by limited expresses on two JR lines.
- The San'in Main Line starts at Kyoto, and continues beyond Fukuchiyama to Toyooka and Tottori. The Kinosaki and Hashidate Limited Expresses run from Kyoto to Fukuchiyama in 1 hr 20 min at a cost of ¥3180. All trains stop at Nijō, for the Tōzai Subway Line.
- This is the best train for those coming from places on the Tōkaidō and Hokuriku Lines (such as Tokyo, Nagoya and Kanazawa); from Tokyo, allow 4 hours and ¥16,350 (4 hr 15 min and ¥16,040 if avoiding Nozomi trains).
- Some Kinosaki and Hashidate trains are coupled to Maizuru services, which split off at Ayabe and do not serve Fukuchiyama.
- The Fukuchiyama Line is served by trains from Shin-Osaka, Osaka, Amagasaki (for connections to Kobe and the JR Tōzai Line) and Takarazuka. The Kōnotori takes about 1 hr 40 min from Shin-Osaka and costs ¥4060.
On both these lines there are direct local and rapid trains to Kyoto and Osaka respectively during rush hours; at other times one change of train is required. Using local and rapid trains, Kyoto can be reached in 2 hours and ¥1490; Osaka can be reached in 2 hr 15 min and ¥1940.
All these trains are free with the Japan Rail Pass. For travel to Kyoto, Osaka, and other destinations within Kansai, JR West sells the Kansai WIDE Area Pass to Temporary Visitors with foreign passports; this lasts 5 days, costs ¥9000 (¥9500 if bought in Japan), and is valid for local and rapid trains and the non-reserved seats of Limited Express trains. Fukuchiyama is also covered by the Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass and the 7-day Kansai-Hokuriku Area Pass, for those who wish to venture further; however, it lies outside the area covered by the Kansai Area Pass.
Kyoto Kōtsū and Haneda Keikyū Bus [dead link] operate the Sylphide overnight bus from Hamamatsuchō and Shinagawa Bus Terminals in Tokyo; the latter is a seven-minute walk from either Shinagawa station Takanawa exit or Sengakuji subway station, along the Daiichi Keihin road. This bus takes 8 hours and costs ¥10,400.
- From Namba (Osaka City Air Terminal) and Itami Airport, there are seven buses a day, taking 1 hr 45 min and costing ¥1850 (¥1650 from the airport).
- From Kobe (Sannomiya Bus Terminal) there are eight buses a day, taking 1 hr 30 min and costing ¥1650.
- 1 [dead link] Fukuchiyama Castle (福知山城) (12 minutes walk along Oshiro Dōri ('Castle Avenue') from North Exit of Fukuchiyama Station). 09:00-17:00 (last admission 16:30), closed Tuesdays. The original castle was built by the Yokoyama family but was ordered to be dismantled during the Meiji Period. This castle was rebuilt in 1986 and houses exhibits of the original castle and artifacts from around the area. ¥320.
- 2 Satō Taisei Memorial Art Museum (福知山市佐藤太清記念美術館) (Next to the castle). 09:00-17:00 (last admission 16:30), closed Tuesdays. ¥210 (¥470 for a joint ticket for the museum and castle).
- 3 [dead link] Oni Exchange Museum (take the Kyoto Tango Railway Miyafuku Line to Ōe (20 minutes, ¥320), then a taxi for 15 minutes). 09:00-17:00 (last admission 16:30), closed Mondays. A museum dedicated to oni (demons). ¥320.
- 4 Fukuchiyama City Zoo (福知山市動物園) (in Sandan-ike Kōen, 40 mins walk or 15 mins drive from North Exit of the station, over the Otonase Bridge). 09:00-17:00 (last admission 16:30), closed Wednesdays. ¥210.
|Routes through Fukuchiyama|
|Tottori ← Toyooka ←||W E||→ Kyoto|
|Obama ← Maizuru Higashi ←||N S||→ Sanda → in to|