It is the birthplace of Sir Leonard Tilley, a Father of Canadian Confederation.
It hosts an artists' colony and marina on the Saint John river between the entrances to Washdemoak Lake and Grand Lake, two excellent three season sailing paradises. From the sea, The reversing falls at Saint John present an obstacle except during slack tide, when many vessels transit the gorge. The sea side harbour hosts cruise ships and ocean cargo vessels, with a public dock attached below the Delta Hotel, beside the Coast Guard dock, at one end of the sheltered pedestrian walk to the farmer's market at city centre, about half a mile walk away, with many other shopping facilities and attractions nearby. The river continues on, up to just below downtown Fredericton, where a railway bridge no longer opens to sailboats, about 80 mi (130 km) above the falls.
The military base, CFB Gagetown, is closer to Oromocto, to the west of the village.
- Visitor Information Centre, 69 Front Street (at the Tilley House), ☏ .
From the east or west, take the Trans-Canada Highway and exit onto Highway 102 south.
From Fredericton, there is a Maritime Bus 3-4 times a day to Oromocto (15 min, $8-12). From there, you have to take a 30-min taxi ride to Gagetown.
Fredericton is the nearest commercial airport.
- Tilley House, 69 Front St. July August: daily 10-5PM; May Jun Sep Oct & Nov: by appointment. A museum dedicated to the preservation of Queens County history. Collections include: Loyalist and Victorian furniture, early doctor's office, the 1818 Tilley birth room, and distinctive collections of Queens County art, Aboriginal artifacts, agricultural implements, military memorabilia, glassware and ceramics, and Mrs. Tilley's Tea Party. Adult $3, child under 12 free.
- The "new Court House", 16 Court House Rd.. mid-June to mid-Sep: daily 10-5PM; May Oct & Nov: by appointment. One of the oldest surviving court houses in New Brunswick, dating from 1836. Throughout the year, special cultural events and exhibitions are staged along with various permanent displays. Featured are original decor and the Hetherington Research Center for those researching Queens County history and genealogy. Adult $3, child under 12 free.
- 1 The Loomcrofters Studio, 23 Loomcroft Ln, ☏ . July August: daily 10-5PM; May Jun Sep Oct & Nov: by appointment. Believed to be the oldest building still in use on the St. John River, and to have been built in 1761 or earlier. The building contents include historic furniture, cabinets, tables, shelving and working looms used in the weaving process and in the business shop. Also included are reproductions of the official gifts to royalty noted above, remaining stock (ties, towels, ornaments, etc.) from the closure of the business, and unused materials such as woollens, cottons and synthetics. Adult $3, child under 12 free.
Sailing charters and chateau cabins with moorings are available, but are scarce and need to be booked in advance.
- The Creekview Restaurant, 38 Tilley Rd, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. W 11:30AM-8PM, Th Su 9AM-7 PM, F Sa 9AM-8PM.
- Gulliver's World Cafe, 42 Front St, ☏ . F-Su noon-8PM. Open during "the warmer months" only. Reservations are required (call +1 506 488-2998 ext. 113). Soups, sandwiches, burgers, wraps $5-15.
The Falls, Kennebacasis Bay, Long Reach, Belleisle Bay, Evandale and the lakes provide affordable accommodations for sailors and many free docks and moorings. Solitude, fishing and water sports are attractions, as are river hotels common during steamship days but scarcer now, offer quality shoreside berths, or shoreside camping facilities.
- Steamers' Bed & Breakfast, 74 Front St, ☏ . From $100.
- The Mission House B&B, 25 Tilley Rd, ☏ . May to October only. From $111.
|Routes through Gagetown|
|Woodstock ← Fredericton ←||W E||→ Jct W → Moncton|
|Jct ← Fredericton ←||N S||→ Jct N S → END|