Gaithersburg was settled in 1765 for agricultural purposes. It grew into a town after the opening of a stop on the B&O Railroad in 1872; however, the area remained predominately rural until the 1970s. It is now famous for being the site of the headquarters of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
MARC offers service to/from Union Station in Washington, D.C. as well as service to/from Rockville, Germantown, Frederick, and Harpers Ferry via its Brunswick line. The schedule is geared towards commuters with relatively few trains during midday and on weekends. 1 Gaithersburg station is located at 5 S Summit Ave.
From D.C. and the south or west take the Capital Beltway (I-495) to Interstate 270 North. Exits 8, 9, 10, and 11 serve Gaithersburg.
A car is best used to get around the city. However, Ride-on-Bus can be used if traveling between popular destinations.
- 1 Gaithersburg Community Museum, 9 South Summit Avenue, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa: 10AM-3PM. In the 1884 B&O Railroad Station complex.
- 1 Seneca Creek State Park, 11950 Clopper Rd, ☏ . A 6,300-acre historic park featuring hiking/mountain biking trails, a lake where visitors can rent canoes or paddle boats and go fishing, picnic areas, and hunting for deer and other game. Scenes from the movie The Blair Witch Project were filmed within the park boundaries.
- Water Park at Bohrer Park, 512 S Frederick Ave, ☏ . Features a 250-foot water slide. Residents: $5.75; Non-residents: $10-16.
- Agricultural History Farm Park, 18400 Muncaster Rd, ☏ .
- Lake Bernard Frank Trails. Over 7 miles of trails.
Festivals and events
- The Montgomery County Fair, ☏ . June and July. Features Maryland farm and livestock displays, rides and carnival attractions.
- Gaithersburg Labor Day Parade, downtown Gaithersburg. September. Fire trucks, bands, ethnic dance groups, antique cars and giant ballons. Free parking in the Olde Towne garage, located at corner of Olde Towne and South Summit Avenues. free.
- Gaithersburg Book Festival, Gaithersburg City Hall, 31 South Summit Ave. May. Features more than 100 nationally known authors and includes book signings, writing workshops, cooking demonstrations, children's activities, and food trucks.
- Lakeforest Mall, 701 Russell Ave. Sears, Macy's, J.C. Penney, Lord & Taylor, and more.
- Washingtonian Center, 9811 Washingtonian Blvd. Target, Barnes & Noble, Pier 1, Dick's Sporting Goods, Kohl's, and more.
- Wonderbook, 15976 Shady Grove Rd, ☏ . 10AM-7PM. Used books, DVDs, video games, CDs and large collection of used records for sale.
- Downtown Crown, Sam Eig Highway at Fields Road (off I-270 (exit 8-Fields Rd)), ☏ . Vibrant walkable downtown neighborhood in a suburban setting with numerous restaurants, bars, shops and green space.
- Barking Mad Cafe, 239 Spectrum Ave, ☏ . Open kitchen.
- BoneFish Grill, 82 Market St, ☏ . A lively seafood restaurant with amazing food and great service. 215 locations nationwide.
- Buca di Beppo, 122 Kentlands Blvd, ☏ . Italian, family style restaurant. 92 locations nationwide.
- Coastal Flats, 135 Crown Park Ave, ☏ . Steak, seafood & pasta.
- Copper Canyon Grill, 100 Boardwalk Pl, ☏ . Known for its rotisserie chicken.
- Famous Dave's Barbecue Restaurant, 917 Quince Orchard Rd, ☏ .
- Neal's Bagels, 12141 Darnestown Road, ☏ . Excellent homemade bagels and all the other good stuff to go with them.
- New Fortune, 16515 South Frederick Ave (north of I-370, in the Walnut Hill shopping center), ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-1AM; F-Sa 11AM-2AM; Dim Sum served daily 11AM-3PM. One of the best Chinese restaurants in the Washington area, serving Dim Sum along with delicacies like sea cucumber and abalone.
- Outta the Way Cafe, ☏ . As the name would suggest, this is way out of the way from downtown Gaithersburg.
- Paladar, 203 Crown Park Ave, ☏ . Latin eatery & rum bar.
- Pho Nam, 15942 Shady Grove Rd, ☏ . Mon-Sun. 11AM - 8PM. Small Vietnamese restaurant with excellent pho. under $10.
- Red, Hot & Blue, 16811 Crabbs Branch Way, ☏ . Memphis pit barbecue. 22 locations nationwide.
- Sardi's, 430 N Frederick Ave, ☏ . Peruvian chicken.
- Ted's Montana Grill, 105 Ellington Blvd, ☏ . Known for its bison burgers.
- Thai Express Restaurant, 351 Kentlands Blvd, ☏ . Thai food.
- Tortacos, 9629 Lost Knife Rd, ☏ . Family-owned taqueria.
- Vasilis Mediterranean Grill, 353 Main St, ☏ . Greek food made from scratch.
- Ziki Japanese Steakhouse, 10009 Fields Rd, ☏ . Hibatchi tables and sushi
- 1 Dogfish Head Ale House, 800 West Diamond Ave, ☏ . This bar is popular with the happy hour crowd from the many local biotechnology companies. It features award-winning beer and a wide and varied menu.
- 2 iRock Karaoke Lounge, 15964 Shady Grove Rd, ☏ . Private karaoke rooms. Beer, sake, and Asian food.
- 3 Old Town Pour House, 212 Ellington Blvd, ☏ . 90+ craft brews.
- 4 Peppers Taco & Wine Bar, 216 Market St W, ☏ . 90+ craft brews.
- 5 [dead link] Shishababa's House of Hookah, 8600 Zetts Ave, ☏ .
- 6 Union Jack's British Pub, 9811 Washingtonian Blvd, ☏ . Billiards, darts, and live music.
- Greene Growlers, 227 E. Diamond Ave., ☏ . Restaurant, craft brewery and whiskey bar in Olde Town. Live music on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Comfort Inn Shady Grove - Gaithersburg - Rockville, 16216 N Frederick Rd, ☏ .
- Courtyard Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center, 204 Boardwalk Place, ☏ . 210-rooms.
- Extended Stay America - Washington D.C. - Gaithersburg - South, 201 Professional Dr, ☏ .
- Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, 9751 Washingtonian Blvd, ☏ .
- Hilton Washington DC North/Gaithersburg, 620 Perry Pkwy, ☏ . Free shuttle service within a 5-mile radius.
- Homewood Suites Gaithersburg, 805 Russell Ave, ☏ .
- Hyatt House Gaithersburg, 200 Skidmore Blvd, ☏ . $90-$400.
- Motel 6 Washington DC - Gaithersburg, 497 Quince Orchard Rd, ☏ .
- Residence Inn Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center, 9721 Washingtonian Blvd, ☏ .
- SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg, 9715 Washingtonian Blvd, ☏ .
- TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg, 212 Perry Pkwy, ☏ .
- Tusculum Farm, 4601 Damascus Rd, toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com.
|Routes through Gaithersburg|
|Frederick ← Germantown ←||W E||→ Rockville → Washington, D.C.|
|END ←||N S||→ Rockville → East End, Washington|
|Martinsburg ← Germantown ←||NW SE||→ Rockville → Washington, D.C.|