Nearly half a million people visit the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park each year. Harpers Ferry is mostly known for the confrontation between the abolitionist John Brown and his followers on the one side and federal troops commanded by a certain Robert E Lee on the other side. While the attack in 1859 failed and Brown was hanged shortly thereafter, it is said to have contributed greatly to the outbreak of the American Civil War in 1861.
Harpers Ferry is located at the junction of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers, where the states of West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia meet. To reach it, take Interstate 70 to Frederick Maryland, and exit on US 340 west for about 15 miles.
The Harpers Ferry train station is served by several weekday MARC commuter trains to Washington D.C., operated by the Maryland Transit Administration. Amtrak Capitol Limited trains also stop in Harpers Ferry.
Harpers Ferry is a town directly located along the Appalachian Trail, as well as the C & O Canal trail. Located at a crossroads of these two trails, it is an extremely popular starting or ending point for backpackers completing sections of either trail.
- Harpers Ferry Zip Line / Canopy Tour, 408 Alstadts Hill Rd (US 340 to Millville Rd, left on Alstadts Hill RD, 3/10 mile on right), ☎ . 9-5. The Zip Line at River Riders will bring you breathtaking scenery as you soar among the trees and along the beautiful Potomac River.
During River Riders' guided Zip Line/Canopy Tour you fly high above the ground along various length zips. The tour is a 2 to 2 1/2 hour experience and is geared toward those approximately 10 years of age and older and between 70 - 250lbs. Fly through the air, as you immerse yourself in the pristine beauty of our historic waterfront location. $75pp.
- River activities White water rafting, canoeing, inner tubing.
- Backpacking The Appalachian Trail passes through Harpers Ferry.
- River Riders, 408 Alstadts Hill Rd (US 340 south of Harpers Ferry, Millville Rd, 3/10 mile to left on Alstadts Hill Rd, 4/10 mile on right), ☎ . 9-5. West Virginia water rafting, tubing, Zip Line Canopy Tours, kayaking, canoeing, mountain biking, and fishing adventures on the beautiful Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers (class I-III) in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia where Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia come together. 30-75 pp.
- Outdoor Adventure Camp, 408 Alstadts Hill Rd (US 340 to Millville Rd, to left on Alstadts Hill Rd, 4/10 mile on right), ☎ . 9-5. Join our family-owned and operated outdoor adventure summer day camp in beautiful, history rich Harpers Ferry, West Virginia for an amazing week that you’ll never forget! This special program attracts all types of children!
Your week is fun and educational. Children will have the opportunity to participate in all of the activities that we offer at River Riders. In addition during their free time, we'll teach them the basics of guiding and river safety. Goals for your child include: increased confidence, learning, building character, sense of accomplishment, fun, and friendship. $199-$599 wk.
- Team Building by Nature, 408 Alstadts Hill Rd (US 340 to Millville Rd, left on Alstadts Hill RD, 3/10 mile on right), ☎ . 9-5. Action learning / team building programs are designed to develop leadership qualities and enhance group effectiveness.
Build your group unity on the trails and rivers of the beautiful Harpers Ferry area near Washington, DC, Northern VA and Baltimore, MD yet outside of your normal daily environment. Watch how experiential education strengthens the bond between group members and refocuses energy on important issues.
Through "action learning" - using actual experiences as a learning tool, River Riders helps group members gain valuable insight into their interactions with each other. $95pp.
- Harpers Ferry Marina -boat ramp /river access, 1816 Potomac St (pass available at River Riders), ☎ . 9-5. A beautiful deep water section of the Potomac River near Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County is available for your boating pleasure. A four mile section of deep water runs from our campground to above the Dargan Bend Boat Ramp in Maryland. Pontoon boats, fishing boats, water skiing, wake boarding, and jet skis are welcome. Pitch your tent and tie your boat up out front. Bring your RV as well. There are no hook-ups, but for those willing to rough-it, it is a beautiful unique location $25 per year.
- River & Trail Outfitters, 604 Valley Road Knoxville, MD 21758, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM-5PM. Outdoor Adventure Outfitter with whitewater rafting tours on both the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers. Other outdoor activities include kayaking, canoeing, hiking, climbing and camping. Varies on activity.
- River Riders, 408 Alstadts Hill Rd (US 340 to Millville Rd, left on Alstadts Hill RD, 3/10 mile on right), ☎ . 9-5. White water rafting, tubing, Zip Line Canopy Tours, kayaking, canoeing, mountain biking, and fishing adventures on the beautiful Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers (class I-III) in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia where Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia come together. Canoes, kayaks, rafting and river equipment, rescue equipment, boating and fishing equipment available for sale. 30-75 pp.
- River & Trail Outfitters. Canoes, kayaks, and rafting equipment for rent and sale. Guided trips.
- Outfitters General Store & Bike Shop Great hiking and outdoors equipment & gear, Harper's Ferry memorabilia and gifts, snacks, knives, excellent customer service, and great atmosphere.
- The Anvil, ☎ . Washington Street. Rustic casual dining and cocktails. Open Wed-Sun 11AM-9PM.
- The Country Cafe, 1715 W. Washington St., ☎ . 7AM-3PM Tue-Sun/Closed Mon. Casual cafe serving breakfast and lunch since 1989.
- Scoops Ice Cream Cafe Potomac Street
- Cannonball Deli, 148 High Street. A hole in the wall with delicious and varied choices, including gyros, subs, hamburgers, and pasta. Popular with National Park Rangers on lunch breaks.
- Harpers Ferry Vacation Rental, 408 Alstadts Hill Rd, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425 (US 340 to Millville RD, to left on Alstadts Hill to 3/10 mile on right), ☎ . Just an hour from the Washington DC and Baltimore, MD beltways; 1 hour from Fairfax, Virginia (VA); relax amidst the Blue Ridge Mountains near Historic Harpers Ferry, WV, in the Shenandoah Valley, adjacent to the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers; minutes walk to the Appalachian Trail. Enjoy the wildlife; deer abound in the morning and evening. Prime Outlets in Leesburg, VA are a half hour and Hagerstown, MD are 45 minutes away.
Accommodations: Historic Home, 3 Bedrooms + Convertible bed(s), 2 Bath (Sleeps 8-10), hot tub
Explore Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, Appalachian Trail, Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races and Slots, Antietam Battlefield, tubing, canoeing and kayaking on the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers, white-water rafting with River Riders next door, Mountain Heritage Arts and Crafts Festival (June & Sept.), fine dining, shopping and antiquing in quaint historic towns of Shepherdstown, Harpers Ferry, and Charles Town, WV, Leesburg, VA and Frederick, MD; hiking and biking along river roads and C&0 canal or simply relaxing in you private outdoor hot tub. $150-300.
- Laurel Lodge B&B, 844 Ridge Street, ☎ . Rustic stone bungalow overlooking the unspoiled Potomac River gorge. $95-150.
- Harpers Ferry Guest House B&B, 800 Washington Street, ☎ . $95-125.
- The Jackson Rose B&B, 1167 Washington St, ☎ . Historic home and former Civil War headquarters of Stonewall Jackson.
- Anglers Inn, 867 Washington St, ☎ . 1900s Victorian home. Guided fishing trips available. $85-115.
- Washington House Bed and Breakfast, S. George St, toll-free: . In charming Colonial Charles Town, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains where the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers meet, the Washington House Inn is a wonderful example of late Victorian architecture. Built in 1899, by descendants of President Washington's brothers John Augustine and Samuel.
- Between The Rivers B&B, 597 E. Ridge St., ☎ . Private guest cottage in historic Harpers Ferry $125-150.
- Harpers Ferry Hostel, 19123 Sandy Hook Road, Knoxville, Maryland 21758 (easy to walk, bike, drive to), ☎ . Just up the hill from the C&O Canal Towpath and the Appalachian Trail, the Harpers Ferry Hostel is located in Knoxville, MD - a short two miles from the Harpers Ferry National Historic Park. Free Pancake Breakfast and internet access. Camping available outside for $8 per person. $21.
- Camping Harpers Ferry (off US340 west of Harpers Ferry National Park check in at River Riders). 30 waterfront tent or trailer sites on the Potomac River. primitive $25.
- Harpers Ferry KOA (off US340 west of Harpers Ferry National Park). 300 tent or trailer sites. Hook ups. $30.
- Antietam National Battlefield is minutes away, it is one of the most significant battlefields of the Civil War
- Shepherdstown is a quaint small town with upscale dining and bed and breakfast inns.
|Routes through Harpers Ferry|
|Pittsburgh ← Martinsburg ←||W E||→ Rockville → Washington, D.C.|
|END ← Martinsburg ←||NW SE||→ Brunswick → Washington, D.C.|