Gelnhausen has about 20,000 inhabitants. It's 50 km east of Frankfurt and about 50 km west of Fulda.
Connection to Autobahn A66.
- 1 Kaiserpfalz Gelnhausen (Barbarossaburg), Burgstraße 14. It was founded in 1170 by Frederick Barbarossa (Frederick I, Holy Roman Emperor).
- Museum Gelnhausen, Obermarkt (behind Obermarkt 24). Entertaining museum with many interesting exhibits, including a gigantic human ear that kids can climb into (reservation required), as well as on historic figures such as Emperor Frederick Barbarossa.
- Romanisches Haus.
- Hexenturm. 15th century tower
- 2 Marienkirche. 12th-century church and landmark.
- 1 Barbarossafreibad, Barbarossastraße 44-46, ☏ . May-Sep: daily 08:00-20:00. An open-air swimming pool. Adult €4, child €2.50.
- 2 Hallenbad Gelnhausen, Am Hallenbad 1, ☏ . Tu 07:00-18:00, W-F 07:00-22:00, Sa 13:00-19:00, Su 09:00-16:00. Adult €3.90, child €1.90.
- There is an annual festival called the "Schelmenmarkt" (Scoundrels' Market). It features some rides such as a roller coaster and two or three carousels. This is probably a good occasion to get to see the town at its best.
- Kinzigtal total. An "everyone can particpate" cycling event.
Gelnhausen has a surprisingly wide range of restaurants.
- Sardina. A good place for pasta, pizza, etc.
- Schelm von Berge, Obermarkt, ☏ . It offers amazing traditional German food, with a gourmet twist. Schnitzel and Käsespatzle are probably the best two items on the menu, but there's nothing sub-par about the food at this atmospheric venue.
- 1 Pizzeria A66, Altenhaßlauer Weg 3 (Hailer), ☏ . The insider tip, in the opinion of many Gelnhausers, is that they have the best wood-fired pizza here, but the other food is good too, and very cheap.
- 2 Blockhaus, Auf der Dürich 1, ☏ . M Sa 12:00-21:00, Su 10:00-21:00. It offers classic Hessian specialties and cheap but very good apple wine. It is an excursion restaurant in a beautiful location on the edge of the forest.
As in most towns around Frankfurt you will have no difficulties finding the famous Ebbelwei (apple wine).
- Café Art. One of the best pubs in Obermarkt, a 'square' that is anything but square, has cobbles all over it, and is flanked by the region's distinctive, red-sandstone buildings. The beer to go for is Jever Pils, draught. Buy it in small measures the way the locals do.
- Schelm von Bergen, Obermarkt, ☏ .
- Altstadthotel Gelnhausen, Untermarkt 17, ☏ .
- Grimmelshausen-Hotel, Schmidtgasse, ☏ .
- Burgmühle, ☏ .
- Bad Orb, spa town, 15 km to the east (20 minutes by bus)
- Hanau, birth place of the Brothers Grimm, 25 km to the southwest (15–20 minutes by train)