Goes is in the middle of the province Zeeland. Its part of an area called Zuid-Beveland. "Goes" is roughly pronounced like "khoose" and rhymes with "goose" (IPA: /ɣus/).
- Tourist Information, Singelstraat 11, ☏ .
There is a rail link to Goes connecting it to the rest of the Netherlands.
Also several buses go in and out of Goes. A good website to check public transport is 9292
There is also a motorway going all the way to Vlissingen with a clearly marked exit for Goes.
The centre of the city is very approachable by bike. There are several parking spaces around the town and one multi-story car park near the centre. There are buses around town. Goes is not very big so very walkable.
The surrounding area is best visited by car or bike although there are buses going to various villages.
- A movie in 't Beest, a tiny cinema showing mainly arthouse, documentaries and similar movies.
- Historical Museum de Bevelanden, Singelstraat 13, 4461 HZ Goes, ☏ . M-F 11:00-17:00, Sa Su 13:00-17:00. Learn about the area's history.
- 1 [dead link] Poppenhuis en Miniatuurmuseum, Deken Tomaslaan 31, 's Heerenhoek (about 15 minutes by car from Goes or take bus 23 from the busstation in Goes), ☏ . F Sa 11:00-17:00 from 1 July-end of Aug.. Ad en Christi van Soelens personal collection. Free.
- [dead link] Oosterschelde Museum, Kerkplein 1, 4401ED Yerseke (About 15 minutes by car from Goes or take bus 27 from the bus station in Goes), ☏ . Tu-F 09:30-12:30 and 13:00-16:00. During July and August extra open hours on M and Sa. Tells the history of Yerseke and mussel- and oyster cultures in the river Oosterschelde.
- 1 [dead link] Stichting Stoomtrein Goes-Borsele (Foundation Steam Train Goes-Borsele), Stephensonweg, Goes. Take a ride on the steam train from Goes to Borsele and back. Along the way you can also visit Berkenhof's Tropical Zoo (lots and lots of butterflies), Wullempje's Shop (a shop made like it was in the 1930s where they still sell sweets and candy) and have a walk to the Kouter Mill or have a look over the Westerschelde (one of Europe's busiest rivers).
- Omnium Swimmingpool, Zwembadweg 3 4463 AB Goes, ☏ . Take a swim at the subtropical swimming pool Omnium.
- Omnium Climbing, Zwembadweg 3, 4463 AB Goes, ☏ . Starts at 19:30. On special days you can give the 10 meter-high climbing-wall at the tropical forest a try. Available to anyone of 8 years or older.
Shops are open on Thursdays in the evening until 21:00 at the maximum and some eating establishments have special menus then. They are very cheap and usually good meals. Happy Dayz and Stadhuis are two well known.
- De Lachende Koe, Beestenmarkt 14, ☏ , . Mains €8-25.
- De Landbouw, Grote Markt 38, ☏ .
- Het Binnenhof, Bocht van Guinea 4/6, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 18:00 - 21:00. 3 courses €37.50.
- [formerly dead link] Het Postkantoor, Grote Markt 14, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Su-Th 10:00 - 00:00; F Sa 10:00 - 02:00. Mains €15-25; pasta, pizza and risotto €8-17
- Jan, Bierkade 3a, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Th-M 12:00-22:00. Mains €22-45; lunch €8-20.
- Karel V, Turfkade 11, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 12:00-15:00 and from 17:30. Lunch €15-20; dinner mains €22-30; 3 courses €37.
- Lunchcafe Stadhuis, Lange Kerkstraat 1, ☏ . Tu-Sa 09:00-17:30, and Th until 21:00. Lunch specials €6-12.
- Porto Bello, Koningsstraat 6, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Italian restaurant. Pasta €13-15; pizza €10-15; meat dishes €23-27; fish €20-25.
- Adolfshoeve appartementenverhuur, Lindemansweg 9, 4474 NJ Kattendijke (about 6.3 km from Goes), ☏ , . Rents out 6-person apartments situated next to a farm in a rural area.
- Gastenhuys Grote Kade (Goes Bed and Breakfast Grote Kade), Grote Kade 8, 4461 BE Goes, ☏ . Bed and Breakfast in a monumental building at the old harbour in the heart of Goes.
- Goes Hotel Centrum, Grote Kade 10, 4461 BE Goes, ☏ . Hotel in a monumental building at the old harbour in the heart of Goes
- [formerly dead link] Jersey's (Amadore Hotel Restaurant Jersey), Grote Markt 28, 4461 AJ Goes, ☏ . Hotel on the "big square" with lots of cafés and restaurants.
- Omnium, Zwembadweg 3, 4463 AB Goes, ☏ . Omnium is a sport centre with a tropical swimming pool and also has a camping that is open from 1 Apr-30 Sep. The camping is a city camping but surrounded by a lot of green.
- [formerly dead link] Oostmolenhoeve Bed & Breakfast, ‘s-Gravenpolderseweg 106, 4462 RA Goes, ☏ . Bed and Breakfast in renovated fruitfarm. Has 4 rooms and 2 studios.
- Terminus, Stationsplein 1, 4461 HP Goes, ☏ . Hotel next to the train station.
- 1 Van der Valk Goes, Anthony Fokkerstraat 100 4462 ET Goes, ☏ .
- Zwartenburg (Minicamping Zwartenburg), Monnikendijk 26, 4474 ND Kattendijke, ☏ , . Minicamping about 6.5 km from Goes.
There is a trainline going on to Middelburg, Arnemuiden and finally Vlissingen-Souburg/Vlissingen. In the other direction the train has direct lines to Bergen op Zoom, Dordrecht, Rotterdam, Delft, The Hague and Amsterdam.
And by car your options are too many to mention. Some cities that are around 1 hour drive or less are Veere, Ghent, Antwerp, and Breda.