Gorakhpur (Hindi: गोरखपुर, Urdu: گۋڙکھ پور) is a city of 675,000 people (2011) in Uttar Pradesh, India. It is a way station on a popular overland route from India to Nepal. It is the city of great shaayar ("फिराक गोरखपुरी").
Gorakhpur is a city in the eastern part of the state of Uttar Pradesh in India, near the border with Nepal. It is the administrative headquarters of Gorakhpur District and Gorakhpur Division.
Gorakhpur is famous as a religious centre: the city was home to Buddhist, Hindu, Jain and Sikh saints and is named after the medieval saint Gorakshanath. Gorakhnath Temple is still the seat of the Nath sect. The city is also home to many historic Buddhist sites and the Gita Press, a publisher of Hindu religious texts.
In the 20th century, Gorakhpur was a focal point in the Indian independence movement. Today, the city is also a business centre, hosting the headquarters of the North Eastern Railways and an industrial area, GIDA Gorakhpur Development Authority, 15km from the old town.
Gorakhpur has a pleasant environment throughout the year. In summer the average temperature can go as high as 40 °C and in during the winters the average temperature can go as low as 4 °C. The best time to visit Gorakhpur is from October to March.
- 1 Gorakhpur Airport (GOP IATA). Alliance Air from Delhi; SpiceJet from Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai; IndiGo from Bangalore, Delhi, Kolkata, Hyderabad
Gorakhpur railway station connects to all major cities of India. It is the headquarters of North Eastern Railway. Direct trains connect it to Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Kanpur, Varanasi and other cities. it has the longest train platform in the world.
- 2 Gorakhpur Junction railway station. With a platform 1.36 kilometres (0.85 mi) long, this station has one of the longest platforms in the world.
- 3 Gorakhpur Cantonment railway station.
Gorakhpur falls on NH 28 and 29. The roadways network connects Gorakhpur to the cities of Uttar Pradesh and to other cities of India. Some important distances are: Lucknow 276 km, Varanasi 231 km, Allahabad 339 km, Agra 624 km, Delhi 783 km and Mumbai 1690 km.
On the basin of rivers Rapti and Rohini, Gorakhpur City has the geographical shape of a bowl. The west of the city is guarded by cool Rapti river, while the east is associated with Sal Forest. The south has greenish Ramgarh Tal, and north is the plinth of city's advancement.
Gorakhpur city is the headquarters of North Eastern Railways. You can travel to any corner of India from here. It also has an airport for domestic travel and connects with every major city in India. The city boasts of an army cantonment and an air base. All this gives a cosmopolitan touch to the city. The world-famous publication house of Gita Press gives an intellectual and religious touch to the city.
When visiting Gorakhpur, you can use some of these car rental services in Gorakhpur:
Cycle rickshaw, a three-wheeled, human-powered cycle, is the major mode of transport in the city. The charges are nominal and can be bargained. Usually a ride of 1-2 km would cost around ₹15. City bus are available for some important routes of city.
Auto rickshaws are easily available for traveling to some parts in the city.
Taxicabs can be hired for a fixed time duration as desired by the user.
- 4 Gita Vatika (Radha Krishna Mandir), Gita Vatika. Beautiful temple of Lord Krishna and Radha
- 5 Gorakhnath Temple (Gorakhnath Math). A temple named after Yogi Gorakhnath
- Budhiya Mai Temple (15 km from railway station).
- 6 Lord Buddha Museum (Bhuddha Museum) (near Ram Garh Tal). till 4:30PM. Nice and quiet place to visit.
- 7 Railway Museum. Rail museum is also a very good picnic place. There are the lots of collections related Indian railway and Gorakhpur railway station.
- See all the Hindi movies in the town, best theaters are Raj, Jubilee, Vijay Picture Palace, here air conditioning is good.
- Hire a cycle-rickshaw and travel around slow all around the town. In some places it is better to travel on foot.
- 1 Taramandal. You can go Taramandal for boating
- 2 Ambedkar Park.
Item selection here is similar to that of other large Indian cities.
- Terracota items. Terracotta trinkets (decorative things made of muddy soil) are made here.
- Sabhi Rahe Saath (SRS) (on Park Road (near Hotel Ganesh)). This mall has a movie theatre with 3 screens.
- Baldev Plaza (in Golghar). The oldest shopping mall in town. It has several shops, especially for jewellery and gifts.
- Golghar (in the centre of the city). Sells personal items
- Gita Press (Geeta Press). The world's largest publisher of Hindu religious texts is based in Gorakhpur.
Gorakhpur has a fairly good restaurants and eating joints. Apart from the star category hotels there are many restaurants in the city
- Bobi's Restaurant, Golghar (main market of the city), ☏ . 10AM-11PM. Serves from continental to Chinese to Mughal to Indian to what-not. In-house bakery serving delicacies, cakes and pastries. Party halls and an ice cream parlour . Affordable.
- 10 Park Street, Cafe & Kitchen, ☏ , , . serving Indian, Oriental and Continental cuisines.
- Choudhry Hotel (Vijay Chowk near Golghar/City Mall on Park Road). Good and clean Indian food. Agreeable service with reasonable rates. Can get everything from typical Punjabi dishes to South Indian with variety of sweets.
- Hotel Ganesh, Park Road near Golghar. Good and clean Indian food. South Indian dishes like Dosa, Masal Dosa, and Idly Sambar are available here at reasonable rate.
- Tandoor Food - Take away, Cinem Road near Golghar. Most famous food joint in the city specializing in Mughlai non-vegetarian foods like authentic biryani, kababs, tandoori chicken. The prices are reasonable and the quality is great. Open for dinner only. A busy place.
Bar facilities available in some of hotels.
- Hotel Ganges.
- Mahraja restaurant, Nakhas Chowk, Gorakhpur. Good non-veg food in city, delicious taste of Lucknowi food.
- Mughal Bar (Hotel Bobina).
There are local hotels near the train station, and you can use the "retiring rooms" of the station if you have a valid ticket, but because this is a very busy station, rooms may not be available.
- Hotel Awadh. In centre of the city.
- Hotel Bobina, Tarang Crossing. Oldest hotel of town, also has a swimming pool.
- Hotel Kabeer (near Venus Compound), ☏ . Modest place to sleep and food quality is good.
- 1 Hotel Clarks Grand (होटल क्लार्क्स इन ग्रैंड), 6 Park Rd, ☏ . Upscale hotel.
- Hotel Park Regency, Park Road. Medium
- Hotel President, Gol Ghar.
- Sonauli — the busiest border town to go to Nepal (Bhairhawa is the small Nepali town) Very frequent buses will need 3 hours to link Gorakhpur with Sonauli. The UP Government buses will charge you ₹112. The trip from the border to Gorakhpur can be as cheap as 100INR by using private buses. Taxis (and shared ones too) should be available.
- Kapilvastu — Capital of Lord Buddha
- Kushinagar — This is the place where Lord Buddha died.
- Lumbini (Nepal) — Birthplace of Lord Buddha. Go by Sonauli route.
- Maghar — This is the place where Saint Kabir died.