Gorkha district lies in western region of Nepal. It become part of Nepal when King Prithvi Narayan Shah of Gorkha (also known as Gurkha) unified the country 250 years ago. The District headquarters is Gorkha Bazaar.
Gorkha headquarter is connected by all weather road from Kathmandu (4 hours), Birjung (10 hours), Bhairahawa/Sunauli(10 hours) and Pokhara (3 hours). Buses are generally crowded. Micro buses are fast and relatively comfortable. Taxi can be hired from Kathmandu or Pokhara to Gorkha.
- Gorkha Durbar. Residence of Shah Kings, at an altitude of 1510 m.
- Manakamana Temple. Dedicated to the Goddess Durga, this temple can be reached by a cable car running from the Kathmandu-Pokhara Highway. The temple receives up to 3,000 visitors daily, which increases to tens of thousands during festival times. The high elevation also allows fantastic views over the Himalayas.
- Mount Manaslu (8,163 m). The eighth highest peak in the world.
- Liglig Kot. Historical Fort at an altitude of 2700 m.
- Shreenathkot. Tourist place at an altitude of 2700 m above sea level.
- Dudh Pokhari. High altitude holy milky lake situated at the height of 5300m.
- Ganesh Himal. 7429m
- Barpak Home Stay. tourist area
- Dashain. The festival in Kathmandu starts only after flowers and holy offerings arrive from Gorkha.
- Cable car. Visiting the Manakamana Temple by cable car is one of the major attractions of the region.
- Manaslu Tea-House Trek (5,135m). A two week trek from either Gorkha Bazaar or more commonly Arughat through the upper reaches of Gorkha District. The trek partially circumnavigates beautiful Manaslu peak. The trekking area is relatively undeveloped as it used to require camping until recently .
Local handicrafts, garments and locally grown oranges.
Simple local, western and Chinese menu restaurant are available in Gorkha Bazaar and Manakamana. Local food stalls are available along the trekking route to Manaslu valley.
There is no restriction for any drink. Local wine, beer and "Raxi"(liquor)are available
Manakamana has many budget lodges with facilities such as TV, telephone and attached bathroom.
- Hotel Bisauni, Gorkha Bazaar
- Hotel Prince, Gorkha Bazaar
- Hotel Old Capital, Gorkha Bazaar
Go trekking to Pokhara or go to Kathmandu/Pokhara/Birjunj/Sonauli by bus/micro.