Interstate 190 (the Niagara Thruway) connects Grand Island with Buffalo to the south (via the South Grand Island Bridge) and Niagara Falls to the north (via the North Grand Island Bridge). Drivers must pay a toll of $1 before crossing either bridge into Grand Island; there is no toll charged when leaving the island.
- 1 Beaver Island State Park, 2136 W. Oakfield Rd., ☎ . Dawn-dusk; beach open daily 11AM-7PM Jun-Sep, Nature Center open Jul-Sep Th-Su 12PM-5PM. Grand Island's beaches and lovely waterfront views made it a popular summer resort community for Buffalonians of the 19th Century, and visitors to Beaver Island State Park, a 950-acre (380ha) expanse of greenery at the southern tip of the island which was founded on the site of several old summer estates, will quickly see why. In addition to the main attraction—a wonderful beach that is one of Western New York's most popular during the summer months—Beaver Island State Park boasts an 18-hole championship golf course as well as facilities for other sports such as disc golf, baseball, and horseshoes. Other activities enjoyed by visitors to the park include fishing, boating (the park boasts several boat launches), swimming, and walking and biking along the trails that crisscross the woods. River Lea, an old wooden farmhouse built about 1850 by Lewis Allen which has been restored as the home of the Grand Island Historical Society, is also located on the grounds of the park. Vehicle entry fee $7 ($6 when beach is closed).
- 2 Buckhorn Island State Park. On the north tip of Grand Island. Buckhorn offers short walking and hiking trails, spots for fishing and kayaking.
- 1 Fantasy Island, 2400 Grand Island Blvd., ☎ . Open yearly from May through September, Fantasy Island opened in 1961 on Grand Island, about midway between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Though it has come a long way (especially in terms of its safety record) since local businessman Martin DiPietro bought it in 1994, Fantasy Island is still a distant second behind Darien Lake on the list of Buffalonians' favorite amusement park destinations, and the park has a somewhat old-fashioned feel. Martin's Fantasy Island boasts about two dozen amusement rides including two roller coasters (the "Crazy Mouse" and the "Silver Comet") as well as a water park with three water slides, a lazy river, a log flume, and a wave pool. A KOA campground is located adjacent to the park.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
- 1 Red Carpet Inn Grand Island, 3030 Grand Island Blvd. (I-190 exit 20), ☎ . Convenient to Niagara Falls via the North Grand Island Bridge. All guest rooms have extended-service cable TV, refrigerator, and air conditioning. No wireless Internet service.
- 2 Byblos Niagara Resort and Spa, 100 Whitehaven Rd., ☎ . Conveniently located about midway between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Fitness center, business center, dry cleaning services, concierge services, newsstand. Indoor and outdoor pool, sauna and whirlpool. Located in a lovely setting along the Niagara River, the hotel is adjacent to the River Oaks Golf Course and boasts fine dining at Current's "A Bistro on the Niagara".
- Branches of Niagara Campground & Resort, 2659 Whitehaven Rd., ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM (RV/tent sites), 3PM (Cabins/yurts), check-out: 11AM.
|Routes through Grand Island|
|Niagara Falls, ON via ← Niagara Falls ←||N S||→ Tonawanda → Buffalo|
|END ← Niagara Falls ←||W E||→ Tonawanda → Clarence|