Guangfu (光復 Guāngfù in Mandarin, Fata'an in Amis; previously called 馬太鞍 Mǎtài'ān) is a city in Hualien County.
Guangfu is a very small and not touristy town, and is worth considering for a quiet day or overnight trip. Although it is small, it is a beautiful and friendly area, and ideal to visit if you want to "get away from it all" for a bit.
- 1 Guangfu stop (光復) (about an hour south of the Hualien stop on the local train). Since Guangfu is a small town there are fewer trains that stop here and you will want to plan ahead (and copy the times down for both your arrival and departure).
Taking the train is probably the easiest way.
Guangfu is a small town, so you can walk to most places from anywhere in about 20-30 minutes. However, if you're staying, check with your bed and breakfast host to see how they can help you. They may be willing to pick you up at the train station, help orient you by map, and lend you bikes to do your own exploring.
If you have a map it is possible to walk to most places in Guangfu, as long as you have some time and patience. A good tourist map exists, so check at a tourist information center in Hualien for maps with GuangFu town and its main sites on it. (If you are staying at a bed and breakfast your host will most likely supply you with a map.)
Biking is probably one of the best way to see Guangfu's main sites. Check with your bed and breakfast to see if they will provide a bike for you.
Scooter rental may be available, but you will probably need someone to arrange if for you (your bed and breakfast should be willing to help).
- 1 Baoan Temple (保安寺), ☏ . A large ornate temple complex.
- 1 Hualien Sugar Factory (花蓮觀光糖廠). It's been called a tourist trap by published travel guides, but don't let that stop you from checking it out. There are lots of little shops selling things from Hualien County, but the main attraction is the ice cream, which there may be a long (but fast-moving) line for, even at 10:00. It's worth stopping here for the ice cream, along with the general chaos that surrounds the factory (there are many food vendor stands set up around the ice cream shop, and you may just see pigs and other animals wandering around.)
Parks and nature
- 2 Matai'an Wetland Ecological Park (馬太鞍濕地公園). This is a beautiful area with a lot to offer those who are willing to spend a little time exploring and walking or biking around. The wetland is located at the foot of Mount Masi and spans over an area of 12 hectares, making it the largest wetland in the county. The wetland consists of around 100 types of water plants.
- 3 Danongdafu Forest Park (大農大富平地森林園區). The forest consists of various outdoor sculptures and statues depicting the culture of Taiwanese indigenous peoples as well as over a million trees with almost 20 different types commonly found at low altitude. It was developed from reclaimed agricultural land.
- 1 Guangfu Night Market (光復夜市), ☏ . Sun 18:00-22:00. A small, but typical Taiwanese night market where you can get snacks, play a few games, and browse through the stalls selling a variety of different wares.
- 2 Guangfu First Market (光復第一市場), No. 15, Guanghua Street. 08:30-16:30. A covered market selling food and other goods.
- 1 Cifadahan Traditional Amis Restaurant (紅瓦屋餐廳), No. 16, Lane 62, Daquan Street, ☏ . 11:30-19:00. Serves food in the traditional style of the indigenous Amis people.
- 2 Woodpecker's Casa (啄木鳥的家), 11 Tangchang Street, ☏ . 12:00-20:00. An Itallian restaurant housed in an old timber building.
- 3 Mainland Dumplings (大陸餃子館), No. 45, Section 1, Zhongzheng Road, ☏ . 11:00-20:30. A variety of handmade dumplings. The menu is in Chinese only.
- 4 Xianbao Burger (鮮堡漢堡店), No. 104, Linsen Road, ☏ . 04:30-12:00. Typical Taiwanese-style breakfast fare.
- 5 Mongolian Danbing (蒙古蛋餅), No. 289, Section 2, Zhongshan Road, ☏ . 06:00-10:30. A Taiwan-style breakfast restaurant specialising in danbing.
- 1 My Cafe (我的咖啡館), No. 226, Zhonghua Road, ☏ . 11:00-20:00. A small cafe by the main train station.
- 1 Kamiyamato Bed and Breakfast (上大和民宿). This is a wonderful, charming, and relaxing bed and breakfast. Stephanie, the owner's daughter who runs the place, is a kind and accommodating host, with excellent English. The rooms are very comfortable and the property is beautifully landscaped and a wonderful place to relax. Breakfast will likely include fresh squeezed orange juice, and Stephanie will give you information about the main sites in Guangfu and how to get to them. The bed and breakfast has bicycles, or if you prefer, they can arrange for you to rent a scooter.
- 2 Bread tree house B&B (麵包樹舍B&B), ☏ . A small, unique B&B nearby Dafu station.
- 3 Sweet Home 101 (甜蜜家101), No. 101, Ziqiang Road, ☏ . A cozy little B&B that is easy to spot by the bright blue door.
- 4 Matai'an Inn (馬太鞍驛棧), No. 85, Section 2, Zhongshan Road, ☏ . A fairly standard hotel right beside Guangfu station.