Gwacheon (과천) is in Gyeonggi, just south of Seoul. The city grew as a planned city in 1980s and 90s when many of the government offices and facilities was moved from Seoul. It is now a commuter town of Seoul, with Government Complex Gwacheon, Zoo, and many museums.
It was home to 72,000 in 2010.
Located in metropolitan Seoul, Gwacheon is served by line 4 of Seoul's subway system.
- Gwacheon National Science Museum (국립과천과학관), 110, Sanghabeol-ro 경기 과천시 상하벌로 110 (Seoul Grand Park Station (Line 4), Exit 5). Opened in 2008, this spaceship-shaped museum houses many exhibitions and attractions, especially for kids. Special programs needs to be booked in advance. ₩4,000 adults.
- Seoul Grand Park (Exit No. 1,2,3 from Seoul Grand Park Station, Line No. 4. Information center is a 5-minute walk from the station). This grand park is a site for Seoul Zoo, botanical garden, MMCA Gwacheon, Seoul Land (see the 'Do' listings), campsites and mountain trails. Although it is in Gwacheon, it is owned by Seoul city. It is quite large (over 9 million m²). You can ride 'Elephant train' from the Information Center to Seoul Zoo, MMCA Seoul, and Seoul Land (₩1500 for adults). You can also ride a chairlift to go directly inside the zoo.
- 1 National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Gwacheon(MMCA Gwacheon), 313, Gwangmyeong-ro, Gwacheon-si (20-minute walk from Exit No. 1,2,3 from Seoul Grand Park Station, Line No. 4; also reachable by 'Elephant train'; free shuttle bus is available from MMCA Seoul and MMCA Deoksugung), ☏ . This is the main branch of MMCA. It was moved to current site in 1986, and holds many art collections with outdoor sculpture garden. The more, the better(Dadaikseon) by Paik Nam June is the most famous artwork, made with 1003 televisions (under restoration until 2022).
- 1 Seoul Land (arrive at Seoulland main gate by taking the Elephant train (paid) 100 m from Subway Line 4 Grand Park and Seoulland station, Exit Number 2). Typically 09:30 to 19:00. Theme park located in Gwacheon. This park was opened just before the Olympics in 1988. It is easy to get to by subway and is open year round.
- 2 Horse Racing (Seoul Racecourse Park Subway Station). Seoul Racetrack in Gwacheon. Races are normally only held during weekends, night racing also takes place during August. During the week, visitors can take guided tours of the grounds.
- Gwacheon Festival. Street art festival held every year.