Gaoth Dobhair (Gweedore) is part of the Gaeltacht region in north west County Donegal. It boasts beautiful views of the coast, particularly Bloody Foreland, and it is a highly populated area rural area that is remotely situated between the rugged coasts and mountains. It is located in the heart of the Gaeltacht and Irish is the predominant language of the area.
Carrickfinn airport, or Donegal Airport, is about 10 kilometers from Gaoth Dobhair and has car-hire facilities. Most visitors, though, arrive into Gaoth Dobhair from Letterkenny or The Rosses, using their own transport or cars hired elsewhere. Gaoth Dobhair is well served by private bus services including John McGinley, Patrick Gallagher and Feda O'Donnell busses.
- Bloody Foreland. So called because of the red tint that this headland takes on when the sun is setting.
The main spoken language of the district is Irish. The majority of locals are Irish speakers of some degree, with the vast majority counting Irish as their first language. All locals (except perhaps very young children and a few very elderly persons) also speak fluent English, so have no fear of not understanding or not being understood. You will hear English spoken regularly, and indeed even locals who speak Irish will sometimes choose to speak English to each other. It is common to hear English spoken, but far more common to hear Irish (or a mixture of Irish and English) spoken among locals. A few Irish words spoken will go down well. If you wish to begin learning or to improve your Irish, there are many language schools in the area offering summer or Easter language courses for adults, children and teenagers.
- Teach Hiudái Beag. Nice, cosy pub that has traditional Irish music on Mondays and Friday nights in Bunbeg.
- Leo's Tavern (Tábhairne Leo), ☏ . The "home of Clannad", the world-famous Celtic music band, serving food all day. Music at night.
- The Court Hotel (An Cúirt) (on the road to Dunlewey and Falcarragh). This is the closest hotel to Glenveagh National Park.
- Teach Hiudái Beag. The Bunbeg pub has comfortable rooms upstairs that have been recently renovated, rooms are ensuite with baths in each. Rooms start from €40 for a single and €60 for a double.
A ferry to Tory Island runs from Bunbeg Harbour.