According to an ancient legend, the Holy Virgin wrung a spring by the appealing prayer of a Christian nurse. The nurse wanted to heal an invalid child. The hot water of the lake breaking out from the depth and the steaming mud cured the weak child completely. The legend stems from the Roman age and the mentioned child was definitely the East Roman emperor Flavius Theodosius who declared Christianity to the official religion in his own empire in 391. That is the wrung spring that feeds the worldwide particular lake of Hévíz from that time.
- 1 Hévíz–Balaton Airport (SOB IATA) (The airport is located in Sármellék, about 15 km from the town). There are regular arrivals to the Fly-Balaton Airport from European big cities, like Frankfurt and Berlin.
There are transfer opportunities and bus lines by schedule to get the town.
- 2 Keszthely Train Station (Keszthely Vasútállomás), Keszthely. The town doesn't have its own train station. The nearest one is in Keszthely. There is a bus station beside that train station, and buses run between the two towns every 15-30 minutes.
- 3 Bus Station Hévíz (Autóbuszállomás Hévíz), Deák tér 4. Buses run from the most transdanubian towns to Hévíz, such as Zalaegerszeg, Szombathely, Sopron, Nagykanizsa, Győr, Veszprém, Pécs), and there are international bus lines too.
First of all on foot and by cycle. Although there is a local transport system names Dotto, which connencts the most visited places in the town.
Dotto schedules [dead link]
- Annabella Étterem
- Gösser Florida Étterem
- Kocsi Csárda
- Gyöngyvirág Étterem Kávézó
- Gizi néni Csárdája
- Ezüstfenyő Étterem
- Korona Panzió és Étterem
- La Montanara Pizzéria és Étterem
- Magyar Csárda Étterem
- 1 Malomkert, Kölcsey Ferenc utca 8.
- Papa's & Mama's Étterem és Kávéház
- Rózsakert Söröző & Étterem & Cukrászda
- St. Hubertus Vendéglő és Panzió
- Első Hévízi Borház és Étterem
- Vén Márkus Söröző Étterem
- Liget Étterem Pizzéria
- Hungária Étterem
Visitors can choose from lot kind of accommodation opportunities. According to the different demands there are 25-30 hotels, 25-30 pansions, 100-120 private accommodations and one camping place.
- Lotus Therme Hotel and Spa  is a 5-star wellness and spa hotel of Heviz. Within a few minutes walk from the largest thermal lake of Europe, in a unique environment, in a ((acre|17}} green park can be found the most exclusive wellness hotel of Heviz.
- Siófok - one city competing for the title "Capital of Balaton"
- Balatonfüred - the other city competing for the title "Capital of Balaton"
- Zalakaros - Famous thermal spa close to Nagykanizsa and to the Croatian board. Reach easy on the highway N.7.
- Fonyód - "Southwest Capital of Balaton"
- Keszthely- Festetics Castle, nice town.
- Tapolca - Nice small town, Cave Lake.
Other places of interest around
- Tihany - nice peninsula with an inner lake and church visible from most of the lake.
- Szigliget - with the ruins of a Castle on the hilltop.
- Badacsony - most famous winehill for its wine, on the northern coast, but rather touristic.
- Szent György-hegy - perfect for hiking, visit the basalt organs.